Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Single JB // 3-Way Toggle // Coil-Split

Hi all,

Looking to have a Single Pickup, 3-Way Toggle, 1 Volume.

1st Position: Full Humbucker
    2nd Position: South Coil Active
    3rd Position: No Signal

I think we might have figured it out, but I wanted to ask what you think of this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 1.06.48 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	5843759

Take this and separate the middle

Which makes this:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 1.16.43 PM.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	5843760

Then wire it up like this:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 1.51.29 PM.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	5843761

The humbucking position is great, the middle position is great, but I am unsure if some people in certain grounding situations might experience some hum, or if its just a small amount of signal that comes through on the 3rd position.

Is this diagram correct? Assume all other components have grounding circuit complete..

Re: Help with Single JB // 3-Way Toggle // Coil-Split

It looks plausible to me. Im waiting for an expert to weigh in because I may use this exact scheme in a guitar I am currently puting together.

Comment

I dont have a 3-way toggle handy to look at, but the more i think about it the more I am pretty sure it will not work. In the middle position ALL the terminals will be live, which means the signal will be grounded. I believe you will get single/kill/kill, not single/hum/kill.

Comment

If any of y'all haven't checked out Jericho Guitars before, look at my article about them. Yummy stuff!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
          I dont have a 3-way toggle handy to look at, but the more i think about it the more I am pretty sure it will not work. In the middle position ALL the terminals will be live, which means the signal will be grounded. I believe you will get single/kill/kill, not single/hum/kill.
          I think it will work. The two sides of the switch are separate. Normally you have to solder them together to get a middle position.

Comment

Try it and let us know if it works!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              If any of y'all haven't checked out Jericho Guitars before, look at my article about them. Yummy stuff!
              Vedy nice!

Comment

It worked! Check out the "Ignition Series" jerichoguitars.com/ignition

3 way switch & toggle are: Hum // Split // Kill

Comment

That's a cool mod.Thanks for posting.

I did something similar in 2008 . A fun project involving an old steel string acoustic with a Washburn neck HB crudely fitted in the sound hole. Only control was a3 way which gave both coils individually plus HB in parallel. Tone not that subtle but interesting. Your version is improvement.

I later changed the 3 way for an on-on-0n DPDT which gave split/series/parallel. Not a great improvement but a useful experiment. As I like the JB in parallel when played clean I would probably have gone down this route but thats just my opinion.
                  Last edited by Gstring; 09-24-2017, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X