Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HSS Strat Wiring Diagram For Coil Split Using 3-Way Switch

Originally posted by gregory View Post
    Why did you decide to split to either coil rather than going series/split/parallel?
    It essentially acts like a phase switch when used with one of the other coils. To avoid or choose to be out of phase with other pups. Alone it may make little difference. To split to just the South Pole for instance, may work with the middle coil, but would be out of phase for the neck or vice versa. This adds choice. That's why I suggested/recommended it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

No, either of the two coils will still be in phase.

With that out of the way, what is really happening is that he'll get one coil that will hum when combined with the middle and one coil that won't. Seeing as though he has a Chopper in the neck and it is not being split, either coil of the bridge will cause hum when combined, so this scheme doesn't provide that advantage, whereas series/split/parallel does.
      Last edited by gregory; 07-03-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Just been looking into the series split parallel switch setup and I'm interested in trying it out.
        Keep coming across this diagram as the one to follow:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4654.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	5800898

How I'd like the switch to work ideally would be:

Bottom (bridge) Position - South Coil Split
        Middle Position - Series Full Humbucker
        Top Position (neck) - Parallel

Anyone who can give any pointers would be appreciated..

Cheers

Comment

Split has to be in the middle.

You'll need to figure out whether the split goes to hot or ground in order for there to be hum cancelling, though I would figure out which one sounds best and if there's hum, you'll have to reverse the wires and flip the magnet in the Distortion so that the combination will continue to be in phase.
          Last edited by gregory; 07-03-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Since the OP already has the coil select switch, its possible to confirm which coil has the preferred sound. Above it was proposed by the OP to use the South (bridge side) pole.

Even if you are very sure of the wiring, I would always double check which coil is active by tapping on the pickup poles with a screwdriver or metal object.

Another aspect is hum-cancelling for position 2. The middle position single coil in this guitar may be south polarity (I assume it was factory setup for HSS pickups). In that case selecting the bridge side coil of the humbucker won't be hum cancelling in position 2.

I have another comment about soldering. I don't mean to be critical, but I noticed the soldering joints in the pics look kind of dirty. The joints are probably perfectly fine as appearance doesn't necessary count for much.
            In future when soldering, I suggest to keep the soldering iron tip clean by wiping it on a damp sponge or cloth while its hot. That is the way to avoid getting carbon muck on the solder joints.

Comment

I probably wasn't specific enough about that earlier.

Originally posted by gregory View Post
              I would figure out which one sounds best and if there's hum, you'll have to reverse the wires and flip the magnet in the Distortion so that the combination will continue to be in phase.
              It could easily be that the inner coil sounds better than the outer coil, either by itself or in combination with the middle single. I would choose the one that works best in position 2 and then use parallel in position 1 for an alternate thinner/brighter tone that will also be hum-free.

Comment

So the parallel/series/split mod isn't quite as easy as switching out a few wires as I first thought..
                There are complications over phasing and magnet polarity which I maybe don't need to get into just now.. More research required I guess..

I am happy with how the guitar sounds and haven't noticed any bad humming during my use so far..

The middle pickup is still the original Fender single so is probably reverse wound.. Not sure what I'm gonna do with this in the future..
                Just go the path of least resistance and build it around what works best with the Distortion which is my priority in this guitar..

Yeah my wiring does look pretty grubby..) That photo was taken a while ago when I had finished my first round of re-wiring..
                The 'dirt' you see everywhere is actually unused flux that I copiously painted on everything before doing this job..

I had big trouble getting the solder to 'stick' while adding my Distortion some time ago, due to a badly coated pot, an old under-powered soldering iron, no flux and some cheap solder..
                So the next time I came in totally prepared for battle, pre-coating everything in flux and going in heavy with the solder.!

I've learned a lot since then and this is my guitar today, no masterpiece but with some new clean pots..)

Name:	IMG_4660[1].jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	5800903

On a side note I have remedied the TBX pot and removed all resistors and it sounds much better.. All the cut I need in no load and a 'hi-fi' feel with added clarity on the 1M scale..

..And I've lowered the height of the Chopper in the neck and it sounds better and much less flubby for doing so..
                On reflection I've realised it is just a bassy pickup, despite the low bass rating on the DiMarzio website.. Are all the DMZ single HB's like this I wonder..?

I guess 'tight and crispy' is just the sound I like..)

So all's good with the guitar and I'll be happy to just play the thing for a while and enjoy the new features..

Thanks so much for the guidance..

Cheers..
                Last edited by de_dUKe; 07-04-2017, 09:38 AM.

Comment

If you don't care if there is hum with the coil that sounds best then there is no need to reverse a magnet. Stock modern Fender is usually backwards from Duncan. If it is the original middle pickup then you will likely notice that the hum exists when combining the middle with the outer coil of the Distortion. Regardless, you will get hum with two of the three positions of the 3-way switch as it is currently wired when the bridge is either by itself of is combined with one of the other pickups. Whether it is qualifiable as "bad" is subjective.
                  Last edited by gregory; 07-04-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Hey Gregory..

I'm prepared to use any of the coils for the split, whichever is easiest.. I like the bite of the bottom coil the best but either will do..
                    Just would like a bridge single coil to use to keep some semblance of a 'Strat' and for versatility..

If there is an easy re-wire to get the benefits of the parallel and split coil then please feel free to post directions and preferably a diagram to follow and I will certainly give it a try..

Cheers

Comment

Hi Duke,

I was looking at the diagram in post #48, and I have some doubts about it. It looks to me like there won't be any output at all in the middle position. However it may depend on the specific switch you use.

Refer to the following page for what I believe to be the correct way to do it, with the type of On-On-On switch that you are using. I know you experienced some hassles with this aspect a couple of weeks ago.
                      In this edition of guitar wiring explored, we introduce the DPDT on-on-on switch and go over some examples of how this switch can be used.

The above link gives the correct diagram that will split to the inside coil (Slug) in the middle position, which may not be the coil you prefer.

If you want to split to the Outside coil (Screw), then you should use a version of the diagram like this modified one I attached here. Notice that I have re-drawn the diagonal link on the switch in the opposite orientation.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Teleplayer; 07-04-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Tone out the switch in all three positions to be sure about its operation.

Comment

As written on the page here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/th...witches-part-3

It seems there are two types of On-On-On switches. The one Duke has seems to be a Type 1. If you buy from Dimarzio or some other guitar suppliers it may be a Type 2.

Comment

Originally posted by de_dUKe View Post
                            So the parallel/series/split mod isn't quite as easy as switching out a few wires as I first thought..
                            There are complications over phasing and magnet polarity which I maybe don't need to get into just now.. More research required I guess..

I am happy with how the guitar sounds and haven't noticed any bad humming during my use so far..

The middle pickup is still the original Fender single so is probably reverse wound.. Not sure what I'm gonna do with this in the future..
                            Just go the path of least resistance and build it around what works best with the Distortion which is my priority in this guitar..

Yeah my wiring does look pretty grubby..) That photo was taken a while ago when I had finished my first round of re-wiring..
                            The 'dirt' you see everywhere is actually unused flux that I copiously painted on everything before doing this job..

I had big trouble getting the solder to 'stick' while adding my Distortion some time ago, due to a badly coated pot, an old under-powered soldering iron, no flux and some cheap solder..
                            So the next time I came in totally prepared for battle, pre-coating everything in flux and going in heavy with the solder.!

I've learned a lot since then and this is my guitar today, no masterpiece but with some new clean pots..)

On a side note I have remedied the TBX pot and removed all resistors and it sounds much better.. All the cut I need in no load and a 'hi-fi' feel with added clarity on the 1M scale..

..And I've lowered the height of the Chopper in the neck and it sounds better and much less flubby for doing so..

:
                            If the middle pickup isn't in the correct electrical polarity you will have a drop in output when you select position 2 or 4, compared to position 3. The straightforward fix is to swap the connection of wires of the middle pickup. It seems like you have a 50/50 chance of getting hum-cancelling operation in position 2 with middle and bridge split.

I agree the chopper is bit mid heavy and warm sounding as a neck pickup. Some pro guitarists using Dimarzio rails humbucker either use a Treble bleed circuit or have a high pass filter they can switch in to get more sparkly cleans. There are brighter sounding (lower output) rails pickups available from that maker as well.

It sounds like the biggest problem you had soldering was getting the iron hot enough. Temperature regulated iron with a boost button can be a good help. Flux can cause corrosion over time and its normally good practice for it to be cleaned off electrical assemblies, as you may not know what happens until you open the guitar much later in the future. Its good to hear you are enjoying the project. I had a good laugh about the character of the pretty lady you compared this guitar to.

Comment

More superb theory, explanation and solutions from Teleplayer.. Thanks a lot Man..

I will be sure to do try the parallel the next time I have her 'kit off'..

But for now and because you've been so good, here's a pic of her suntan lines..

Name:	IMG_4661[1].jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	5800916

Comment

Working...
                              X