• Show
Clear All

Re: HSS Strat Wiring Diagram For Coil Split Using 3-Way Switch

NP

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

HSS Strat Wiring Diagram For Coil Split Using 3-Way Switch

de_dUKE... STOP!!!

I received a PM from Teleplayer who pointed out an error in the diagram I gave you (Nice catch, Teleplayer ). Unfortunately, the 3-way slider won't work. In it's present setup you won't have any sound in the "Down" position (HSS Mode)... and I can't see a way to remedy it.

The only way I can see to make it work with a single switch is to use a 4-way On/On/On 4PDT like this one, so here is an addendum to my previous diagram.

Alternatively, it could be done with two 2-way sliders, 2 SPDT (or DPDT) mini switches, or a combination of the two types. If you're interested in that, it would give you separate switches for changing the guitar from center (in position 3) to bridge & neck and for splitting the bridge. Advantage: split bridge could be available in either mode. Disadvantages: two holes instead of one, and two movements instead of one (potentially).

I'm moving today and I'm sure I won't have time to completely update the diagram for a few days, but I'll get to it. Let me know if whether to do it with the single 4PDT or with two switches.

Sorry about the mistake, and thanks again to Teleplayer for the great catch!

Brian
      Originally posted by The Commodores?
      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by de_dUKe View Post
        Really appreciate everyone's efforts of this..
        I did start the same thread in the 'Guitar' section prior to posting here, and a similar thread prior to this one in the 'Pickup' section of the forum without too much response.
        Also I was led to believe the setup I wanted could be achieved using only a 3-way switch, but as I admitted previously I'm inexperienced on this subject and I also apologised for my salty (and vinegary) response.
        I just want to play guitar rather than be constantly dismantling it. Had this thing for 20 years without changing anything but strings. Makes me a little nervous going in there and snipping out wires tbh..!!
        I was trying to avoid using a push-pull switch and haven't the expertise to alter any diagrams to fit my needs just yet so I really needed something quite specific before I would attempt any physical changes to the guitar. I was contemplating using guitarelectronics.com once I learned about them on this thread.

Maybe undeservedly, but fortunately for me, BriGuy1968 came up trumps with a superlative diagram and I can't wait to build and test it and for others to be able to use too. Thanks again for this BriGuy. Also thanks to thebingopete for his post and very usable diagram.

Cheers guys
        The thing about push pull pots is that they don't alter the appearance. That's why I posted pic of the controls of mine. To show that you can only see the mini toggle added. Which by the way is easier to install as it's a small drill hole not a square/rectangle that can end up looking like a hack job if you're not careful. If I dig harder I can probably find a single diagram of my setup. It will give you all the combinations you want. Just not how you were hoping for. But very functional. The push pull pot turns my bridge pup on full-time for use with neck and/or middle pups. The mini toggle not only splits the HB coil, gives series parallel options too. And that covers the options you want plus adding the parallel HB option. If you were to try it you'd get why I recommend this as I do. The wiring isn't as complicated as 2 diagrams make it appear. Let me know if you want me to dig and let Brian off the hook.

Comment

Wowsers, there has been some major developments on this subject and it's not quite over yet.!! This really was a tough ask wasn't it..?! I didn't realise the hassle it would cause. Sorry dudes..

I already have the 3-way switch so I would like to use that. What else could be done by adding a push-pull.? Could we add the coil split and neck/ bridge combo using these.?

I guess I'd be happy to follow bingopete's diagram as it adds all the functionality I require. So the 5-way Super switch wouldn't be need and can be cancelled.? If so I'm saving monies at least.!

Good spot by Teleplayer and thanks for everyone who has posted to update the thread in time. I'll follow the route of less resistance on this one to get the job done. Plus time isnt a factor as it's a long bank holiday weekend here so any more parts cannot be purchased for a few days. BriGuy is a busy man atm and I wouldn't want him to spend any more time and energy on this. Best wishes and good luck with the move..

Cheers guys..
          Last edited by de_dUKe; 04-30-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Use the 3way for splitting the HB. There's a few ways that can be done. Either N/HB/S. N/parallel/series. S/parallel/series. The N/HB/S would be a good choice as you can be sure to be in phase with the other coils when splitting. Or out of phase if you so choose. A whole different set of tonal variety. Could be quite useful.

Comment

Ok...so let's do your schematic thebingopete.. Did you say you had a complete diagram showing where the switch fits in the circuit.?
              I have just ordered a 3-way mini toggle switch DPDT on/on/on and a 500k Log Volume pot with push/push so have essentially the same setup as you.
              Regarding the HB split on the 3-way, I'll take your advice on this one and go with whatever you suggest. So the N/HB/S combination seems good to me.
              Parts will be probably be arriving on Wednesday.

Many thanks for the ongoing support..

Comment

Haven't found a single diagram yet. But once you have the parts in I'll gladly help you get it straight.

Comment

..all the parts have arrived now and I'm all scrubbed up and ready for theatre..

..ok so lay back there and I'm sure you won't feel a thing.. trust me, I am a doctor..

Comment

First you'll want to wire the HB to the mini switch. Like this...

Comment

After that we'll refer to the first diagram. Basically it's like connect the dots. Solder wire from point A to point B. Except the hot and ground output from the 3way replace the hot and ground from the bridge in the 1st diagram. That's the only difference. That first diagram uses a few colors for clarification of where they go. You don't need a rainbow of wires, but if ya got em why not.

Comment

You also may not need to undo all of the existing wiring and just add a couple short pieces of wire.

Comment

hey Pete.. thanks for the assistance bud..

so you just use one side of the mini switch for this setup, just three pins..?
                          ..and I have a On/On/On 3-way.. make a difference for this..?

Comment

..and to confuse matters more my guitar has a bridge tone control and this diagram is designed for middle and neck tone controls..

too many differences for me to work out and factor in.. got my guitar in pieces, Pete went offline immediately after writing his brief instructions and I haven't got much of clue as what I should do.. I can't follow this diagram and proceed any further as it doesn't relate to my guitar.. I don't want to lose my bridge tone control..

..gotta say I saw this coming.. should have parked it until I had a specific diagram.. goddamn...

Comment

Originally posted by de_dUKe View Post
                              ..and to confuse matters more my guitar has a bridge tone control and this diagram is designed for middle and neck tone controls..

too many differences for me to work out and factor in.. got my guitar in pieces, Pete went offline immediately after writing his brief instructions and I haven't got much of clue as what I should do.. I can't follow this diagram and proceed any further as it doesn't relate to my guitar.. I don't want to lose my bridge tone control..

..gotta say I saw this coming.. should have parked it until I had a specific diagram.. goddamn...
                              How can I help? What diagram(s) are you looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Originally posted by The Commodores?
                              "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Hey BriGuy,

I was using bingopete's original diagram he posted on here and factoring in a 3-way switch using a N/HB/S setup for the bridge he posted this evening, using his instructions above..

I soon realised I had a On/On/On 3-way switch and wondered if this will still work and also my Strat has a bridge and a neck tone control, in contrast to the diagram showing neck and middle tone controls.. seemed like i wouldn't have a bridge tone control and this really threw me..

Gonna need this all down in a plain and simple diagram if I'm gonna get through this..!!..

As for now I've put things back how they were and put those 11 screws and 6 strings back in place once again..

Comment

Working...
                                X