X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HSS Strat Wiring Diagram For Coil Split Using 3-Way Switch

Originally posted by de_dUKe View Post
    Hey BriGuy,

I was using bingopete's original diagram he posted on here and factoring in a 3-way switch using a N/HB/S setup for the bridge he posted this evening, using his instructions above..

I soon realised I had a On/On/On 3-way switch and wondered if this will still work and also my Strat has a bridge and a neck tone control, in contrast to the diagram showing neck and middle tone controls.. seemed like i wouldn't have a bridge tone control and this really threw me..

Gonna need this all down in a plain and simple diagram if I'm gonna get through this..!!..

As for now I've put things back how they were and put those 11 screws and 6 strings back in place once again..
    To change the middle tone to a bridge tone, follow the purple wire he has showing from the center lug of the pot up to the switch. Notice that it's attached to the 3rd lug from the top on the right side. Instead, you will want to connect it to the 2nd lug from the top (along with the one already showing there). Easy fix! [emoji1303][emoji2]

As for the on/on/on, no... you can't use it like he has the SPDT. Give me a few minutes to see if I can find a way for it to work with a on/on/on DPDT instead. I'll get back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Sweet! I knew I had a diagram for that somewhere. This should allow you to sub in your on/on/on DPDT for the SPDT quite nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry about that didn't see any response for a while then got tied up with dinner and etc...
        I didn't mean to leave you hanging. If there's a pm option here feel free. Sounds like you may need to undo more than I hoped to get this right. It won't be too difficult. It's intimidating for you I'm sure. It's not rocket science. Have you researched some of this on YouTube? Even if not exactly what you're looking for it may enlighten you enough for your confidence to rise.

Thanks Brian for your input too! I missed the pole throws on the mini switch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by thebingopete; 05-05-2017, 06:14 AM. Reason: Missed comments...

Comment

..thanks for the help BriGuy and for confirming the switch and tone controls were wrong for my setup.. thought I was going crazy but maybe some of the theory behind all this is starting to stick with me.. no worries bingopete.. thought maybe you was gonna be around for a while, that's why I set to work without too much of a plan..

..thinking I'm gonna have to piece together all these diagrams and instructions and make myself a definitive and hopefully foolproof schematic to be able to complete the job competently.. I will be doing some extra research to help get this done correctly and get more of a grasp on how these designs actually work..

..I was also thinking the push/push switch would be on the bridge tone and not the neck as in the diagram, but only so I could use the original Fender 250k pot as the neck tone, which is more suitable for the pickup I have in that position.. but I see this is fundamental to how the diagram works, taking the neck input for the switch from the neck tone input.. any easy way around this without needing a full re-design.? If not I'm gonna have to wait to source another 500k pot for the bridge tone..

I've fully rebuilt ignition systems on a Lexus in less time its taken to add a humbucker and a switch to my guitar..!!

cheers for all the help so far guys..
          Last edited by de_dUKe; 05-05-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Ok guys...Been busy with this and I have maybe come up with my diagram..
            Its my first ever attempt at this and therefore decidedly rough and primitive so let me apologise for the eyesore..

I actually enjoyed making it and I really hope it works.. Could you guys check it over for me and maybe spot any errors with it.. In particular, the bridge tone connection (purple connection) I modified from the original diagram from thebingopete..
            Note the 5 way switch is the other way around..

Couple of questions.. Is the capacitor shared between the two tone controls.? Is it right that the 6th connector on the 5-way switch is empty..?

Made using DIY Layout Creator, which is free software.. Many thanks to these people..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duke Strat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	5800279
            Last edited by de_dUKe; 05-08-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Couple of questions.. Is the capacitor shared between the two tone controls.?
              Yes. that's normal, and not a bad thing IMO.

Is it right that the 6th connector on the 5-way switch is empty..?
              It means you will have no tone control for the middle pickup.
              Normally with Fender single coils you would connect the middle lug to share the tone control for the bridge pickup. Fender guitars are typically wired like that so they share both tone controls in position 4.

If you change to use a mini humbucker in the neck such as LIL 59, then I would rather connect the middle lug to the tone control for the neck pickup. That makes the position 4 tone become brighter since it is only using 1 tone control(except if you have activated the push-pull switch on your wiring scheme).

My other comment is that your push pull switch connects to bridge and neck pickups together. That is a bit of a limitation because you get both pickups active in positions 1, 2, 4, 5. I would rather just wire the hot wire from the neck pickup to become switched to the wire that goes to the volume control (Pale blue in the diagram in your previous post) . Likewise for the tone control, switch the neck tone control directly to the volume control when the push-pull is activated. Then you can call the switch "Neck pickup ON", since it is effectively bypassing the 5way blade switch.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Teleplayer; 07-04-2017, 04:12 PM. Reason: Add Series/parrallel option

Comment

I was just going to reply after looking at your diagram, but Teleplayer said pretty much everything I would have told you!

Diagram looks pretty good!

Comment

Absolutely awesome diagram Teleplayer..
                  That is the definitive schematic for the setup I've been looking for..

3-way split coil humbucker switch with north and south selection, 'neck pickup on' push/push switch to combine with both the bridge and/or middle pickups instantly.. Superb..!!

Gonna be be installing this in my Strat asap and I'll come back and let anyone interested in this build know how it plays out..

Many many thanks to Teleplayer, BriGuy1968 and thebingopete for all their input and guidance.. Learnt so much from these good guys..

Cheers..
                  Last edited by de_dUKe; 05-18-2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Hope it all works out for you. That last diagram from teleplayer looks great. Also like the perspective placing the pups and controls as though the bottom of the PG, makes more sense to me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey good folks,

Well we got there in the end..!! I've done the complete build on my Strat and it works like a dream..)

It was a pretty complex re-wire but I just took my time and I didn't break, melt or electrocute anything and my guitar still looks good..

Name:	IMG_4511.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	5800885

It took a little while to source all the correct components and decide on a neck pick up. I went with a DiMarzio Chopper as the reviews were good for that position and I found a brand new one for a give away price so snapped it up.

Name:	IMG_4510.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	5800882

I've also tried a few different tone pots in the guitar and am still experimenting to find the perfect choice. One thing is for certain, I like to have a no-load setting on my pots to let all the tone out of the guitar. I even modified the 500K push push neck tone pot to be no-load at 10. Currently wrestling with a Fender TBX tone pot for bridge and middle, just need to get that working with true no-load too.. Hopefully it can add a little more than a 500K no-load pot, if not that's what I will be using.
                      I guess I could have saved some trouble (and extra soldering.!) and removed all the tone pots and gone master volume only..!!

Name:	IMG_4499.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	5800884

The amount of tones I can now achieve is staggering. The Distortion splits really well and with the overwound pickups it gives 'moderate rock' tones at the flick of a switch. Dial back the volume slightly and I get a respectable 'clean' from those split singles too, each with its own character. Great..

The 'neck on' push/push pot works impeccably and adds so much versatility to the guitar in an instant. I'm not completely convinced the Chopper will stay in the guitar tho.
                      Output wise it's well balanced with the Distortion and for single note soloing it's got a nice warm but aggressive tone which I like. The problem is when I play the low end strings it tends to be a little flubby and that's not the desired effect.
                      Maybe I need to spend more time with height adjustments but I haven't got it sounding right just yet.

Name:	IMG_4512.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	5800883

A huge thank you to Teleplayer for all his help and guidance. His was the schematic I used and it works perfectly and I can highly recommend using it if you're wanting a similar setup.
                      Big thanks also to BriGuy and bingopete for their help and input.

So there we have it, job done..

Cheers Guys
                      Last edited by de_dUKe; 07-02-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Hey good folks,

Well we got there in the end..!! I've done the complete build on my Strat and it works like a dream..)

It was a pretty complex re-wire but I just took my time and I didn't break, melt or electrocute anything and my guitar still looks good..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81574[/ATTACH]

It took a little while to source all the correct components and decide on a neck pick up. I went with a DiMarzio Chopper as the reviews were good for that position and I found a brand new one for a give away price so snapped it up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81571[/ATTACH]

I've also tried a few different tone pots in the guitar and am still experimenting to find the perfect choice. One thing is for certain, I like to have a no-load setting on my pots to let all the tone out of the guitar. I even modified the 500K push push neck tone pot to be no-load at 10. Currently wrestling with a Fender TBX tone pot for bridge and middle, just need to get that working with true no-load too.. Hopefully it can add a little more than a 500K no-load pot, if not that's what I will be using.
                        I guess I could have saved some trouble (and extra soldering.!) and removed all the tone pots and gone master volume only..!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81573[/ATTACH]

The amount of tones I can now achieve is staggering. The Distortion splits really well and with the overwound pickups it gives 'moderate rock' tones at the flick of a switch. Dial back the volume slightly and I get a respectable 'clean' from those split singles too, each with its own character. Great..

The 'neck on' push/push pot works impeccably and adds so much versatility to the guitar in an instant. I'm not completely convinced the Chopper will stay in the guitar tho.
                        Output wise it's well balanced with the Distortion and for single note soloing it's got a nice warm but aggressive tone which I like. The problem is when I play the low end strings it tends to be a little flubby and that's not the desired effect.
                        Maybe I need to spend more time with height adjustments but I haven't got it sounding right just yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81572[/ATTACH]

A huge thank you to Teleplayer for all his help and guidance. His was the schematic I used and it works perfectly and I can highly recommend using it if you're wanting a similar setup.
                        Big thanks also to BriGuy and bingopete for their help and input.

So there we have it, job done..

Cheers Guys
                        That is a gorgeous strat! What finish is it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Why did you decide to split to either coil rather than going series/split/parallel?

Comment

Guitar looks great! It nice to see you keep the stock colours as its a really classic combination.
                            I like your project as it seems good for heavy tones but still versatile.

Are you happy with the output level match between the Neck pickup and SH-6 Distortion?

Comment

Cool looking, unique guitar with some serious tricks going on there! Nice!
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hey thanks for the cool comments..

The guitar was, I'm pretty sure a 'Vintage Blonde Reissue' with translucent paint.
                                I left it in the sun for a few years at my last property and its definitely gotten creamier. The grain used to show through more too, a grey/purple striping, snow tiger-style.)

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	5800894
                                Actually have it flipped the other way by the window atm, baking the other side so it all matches perfectly again. It's almost cooked..)

I got it from a huge music store in Birmingham, England (around the corner from Ozzy's old house!) where they had 50+ Strats but this one hit me the moment I walked in the place.

This is my first guitar mod so I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted when I started the project, so maybe a parallel/series setup may evolve from this, but I'm happy with it for now.

The levels between the Chopper and Distortion seem very well balanced, certainly close enough for my uses. Both are high output, but I haven't got the Chopper sounding sweet just yet, so some more tweaking is necessary.
                                She still looks pretty, but sounds really mean when I want her too. 'A maid in the living room, whore in the bedroom' kind of girl...

The aesthetics of the guitar were super important and I felt like I had to keep the white theme going on.
                                SD should do more white and cream pickups, especially on the modern ones, to give peeps like me more options. Would have liked a white Nazgul, Pegasus or Black Winter to try out.

Rock on..
                                Last edited by de_dUKe; 07-03-2017, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X