My thoughts on Fishman Fluence PU's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on Fishman Fluence PU's

So I was up in Boston, drinking beer and went to The Axe Palace, because I wanted to check out a Kemper. While they were a dealer, they were out of the Kemper and I got a little sidetracked. Before I get into the Fluence, pickups, I want to say what a cool store the axe palace is! Loads of high-end gear, more suited towards the metal player. Most higher end stores target more of a blues market, but this store , it was all about the metal market and it was pretty neat and I donb't see that too often. Anyhow...

I have a Charvel strat that could use new PU's and I was toying with the idea of the fluence pups. I demo'd the Classic, Modern, Killswitch Engage, Tobin and Devin sig. pickups. Keep in mind, I royally hate EMG's. Blackouts are better but still not totally my thing. These pickups, if I hadn't know they were active, I never would have known. By Far, they're the best active pups I've ever used.

Classics- 1) PAF when you need it. 2) Everything you think a JB is, without any of the bad. Classic tones, searing upper mids, Great sizzle. Tracks notes very well. 3) single coil mode was great for texas strat cleans the neck pup went from clean to classic easily

Modern) EMG 81 and more EMG 81, I wasn't a fan

Devin Townsend) EMG81 and glassy clean. I liked this pickup the least of all the fluence designs. I'm just not into the 81, so...

Tosin Abosi *) Thick and big sounding pickup. I thought this would be ideal for a stoner rock-type of thing. It was articulate as well.

Killswitch Engage- Voice 1 reminded me of an EMG 85 with a little more sizzle. It sounded very modern and a the verge of being hi-fi, but not quite. Voice 2, was a cross between a Super 3 and an EVH pup. Thick, open, on fire.

The modern and Devin Townsend pickups weren't my thing. the Tosin Abosi's were cool, but not what I was going for. It came down to the Classics and KSE pickups. I was demoing them back to back and I was having trouble making up my mind. Both these sets, blow away any active pickup I've ever played. They sound holy organic and have loads of different sounds. At then end of the day, the Classics, made me smile just a little more. They had that great upper-mid attack the the JB does so well, without any of it's negative qualities. And if The JB wouldn't sound right for an application I had a PAF on standby and split coil modes- which sound glassy- If I could lever any complaints, Its that I think the neck pups need a little work. I liked the Tosin neck pickup the most, it was a little more rounded but nothing like that artificial EMG 85 neck PU sound. However, the other neck PU's weren't as rounded and a little too glassy sometimes.

Just my thoughts. I see these as the future of modern pickup designs. All of the tone of passive pups with the good qualities of actives. I might pick up the Killswitch set someday too. They sounded great. I was really having a tough time deciding between the two sets. The classics just seemed more versatile for the music I play (george lynch and punk and fusion).

[*Correction to my original post- I played a 6 string version of the stef carpenter pickups not the Tosin pups. When I looked at fishmans website, to make sure I had the correct info before I posted my review, I didn't see a 6 string carpenter model and assumed I must have played the tosin model. I was wrong. So When I say Tosin pickups, I really meant to say Stef carpenter. Sorry]
    Last edited by Hot Octopus; 05-07-2017, 10:18 AM.
    18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Re: My thoughts on Fishman Fluence PU's

I see the Fluence are available in HSS now, I bet the classic bridge with single N/M would be cool.

Thanks for the reviews on the HBs.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Octopus View Post
      So I was up in Boston, drinking beer and went to The Axe Palace, because I wanted to check out a Kemper. While they were a dealer, they were out of the Kemper and I got a little sidetracked. Before I get into the Fluence, pickups, I want to say what a cool store the axe palace is! Loads of high-end gear, more suited towards the metal player. Most higher end stores target more of a blues market, but this store , it was all about the metal market and it was pretty neat and I donb't see that too often. Anyhow...

I have a Charvel strat that could use new PU's and I was toying with the idea of the fluence pups. I demo'd the Classic, Modern, Killswitch Engage, Tobin and Devin sig. pickups. Keep in mind, I royally hate EMG's. Blackouts are better but still not totally my thing. These pickups, if I hadn't know they were active, I never would have known. By Far, they're the best active pups I've ever used.

Classics- 1) PAF when you need it. 2) Everything you think a JB is, without any of the bad. Classic tones, searing upper mids, Great sizzle. Tracks notes very well. 3) single coil mode was great for texas strat cleans the neck pup went from clean to classic easily

Modern) EMG 81 and more EMG 81, I wasn't a fan

Devin Townsend) EMG81 and glassy clean. I liked this pickup the least of all the fluence designs. I'm just not into the 81, so...

Tosin Abosi) Thick and big sounding pickup. I thought this would be ideal for a stoner rock-type of thing. It was articulate as well.

Killswitch Engage- Voice 1 reminded me of an EMG 85 with a little more sizzle. It sounded very modern and a the verge of being hi-fi, but not quite. Voice 2, was a cross between a Super 3 and an EVH pup. Thick, open, on fire.

The modern and Devin Townsend pickups weren't my thing. the Tosin Abosi's were cool, but not what I was going for. It came down to the Classics and KSE pickups. I was demoing them back to back and I was having trouble making up my mind. Both these sets, blow away any active pickup I've ever played. They sound holy organic and have loads of different sounds. At then end of the day, the Classics, made me smile just a little more. They had that great upper-mid attack the the JB does so well, without any of it's negative qualities. And if The JB wouldn't sound right for an application I had a PAF on standby and split coil modes- which sound glassy- If I could lever any complaints, Its that I think the neck pups need a little work. I liked the Tosin neck pickup the most, it was a little more rounded but nothing like that artificial EMG 85 neck PU sound. However, the other neck PU's weren't as rounded and a little too glassy sometimes.

Just my thoughts. I see these as the future of modern pickup designs. All of the tone of passive pups with the good qualities of actives. I might pick up the Killswitch set someday too. They sounded great. I was really having a tough time deciding between the two sets. The classics just seemed more versatile for the music I play (george lynch and punk and fusion).
      So you bought the Classics? Did you install it yourself?

Comment

Great review!!!

Could you please tell me more about how the different bridge PU models differed in their output levels? Especially the difference between the classic and the KSE bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by sd4ever View Post
          So you bought the Classics? Did you install it yourself?
          not yet. I have a HSS pickgaurd on my charvel and need to order a HH one to instal the new pups. They're currently sitting on my desk.
          18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

Originally posted by juka View Post
            Great review!!!

Could you please tell me more about how the different bridge PU models differed in their output levels? Especially the difference between the classic and the KSE bridge?
            I was demoing the pickups on a EVH 5153 going into an orange 1x12. The guitar with the Classics was a Framus semi Hollowbody and the guitar with the KSE pickups was an ESP Horizion.

Ironicly with lots of gain or the red channel, the KSE pups sounded too hot. Not woofy, but almost too big for the massive amount of gain I was using. The classics felt lower output, but were able to deal with the massive gain a little easier, even in a semi hollow guitar. I went in thinking that I'd probly buy the KSE pups. I had read online about them and seen the namm videos, and they were the leading contender. And I was amazed how good the classics were. I mean, I have like 12 guitars from shredders to an SG to a variax ect. and none of them are active/ modern (except my bass, but thats different). I thought that I would get something very modern sounding. But while I loved the KSE Pickups, They didn't make me smile like the upper mids of the classic did. To answer your question directly, the PAF voicing on the classic is medium output- think EVH. The JB voicing is hot but not crazy hot. The KSE voicings were both crazy hot
            18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

Did you try the single coil mode on the KSE pickups? I have been really interested in trying a set of those and am interested in how the single coil mode of the KSE pickups compares to the classics.

Comment

Cool review! The Classics definitely have me interested. So are the Moderns are around Blackout levels of hot, then?

Comment

Great comparison!

Comment

Originally posted by depravity View Post
                    Did you try the single coil mode on the KSE pickups? I have been really interested in trying a set of those and am interested in how the single coil mode of the KSE pickups compares to the classics.
                    I tried all modes on all the pickup sets. The classics sounded warmer and more dynamic than the KSE PU's in single coil mode. The KSE PU's sounded a little flat. While in single coil mode, there is an audible hum no matter what pickup set I was using.
                    18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      Cool review! The Classics definitely have me interested. So are the Moderns are around Blackout levels of hot, then?
                      The only SD active pups I've had extensive time with are the Slipknot ones. I maybe played 2 mins on the fluence modern and didn't like the tone and I pretty much knew immediately they weren't for me. They sounded Hi-Fi- in vein of something like a BKP, biut with more of the sound of an 81 and the alternate sound was an over-the-top 81. I'd say that the fluence was hotter than the slipknot pup.
                      18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Octopus View Post
                        The only SD active pups I've had extensive time with are the Slipknot ones. I maybe played 2 mins on the fluence modern and didn't like the tone and I pretty much knew immediately they weren't for me. They sounded Hi-Fi- in vein of something like a BKP, biut with more of the sound of an 81 and the alternate sound was an over-the-top 81. I'd say that the fluence was hotter than the slipknot pup.
                        I bought a fishman modern and I'm waiting for the shop to install it on my lespaul. I agree with your comment that the fishman will sound hifi. I bought it because I play metal and I need the clarity in high gain distortion.

Comment

If someone uses the term "hi-fi", they either mean it positively, as in more frequency content than you can get out of a regular pickup, or they mean there's too much way high treble and the pick attack is too sharp, not warm.

Thankfully we addressed both with the HF Tilt feature. It rounds off the very high treble for that exact reason. So far in our experience it's probably 80/20 the people that prefer Fluence wide open without the tilt.

On the Moderns you can run it to a switch, to have it selectable on/off, or you can hardwire it, or you can slip a jumper over the pins (provided) recently for one artist trying the Moderns, I hardwired the HF Tilt ON for the bridge pickup, but passed the HF tilt through the voicing push/pull for the neck, so that when he goes to Voice 2, it goes wide open for the ultra clear neck tone.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                            If someone uses the term "hi-fi", they either mean it positively, as in more frequency content than you can get out of a regular pickup, or they mean there's too much way high treble and the pick attack is too sharp, not warm.

Thankfully we addressed both with the HF Tilt feature. It rounds off the very high treble for that exact reason. So far in our experience it's probably 80/20 the people that prefer Fluence wide open without the tilt.

On the Moderns you can run it to a switch, to have it selectable on/off, or you can hardwire it, or you can slip a jumper over the pins (provided) recently for one artist trying the Moderns, I hardwired the HF Tilt ON for the bridge pickup, but passed the HF tilt through the voicing push/pull for the neck, so that when he goes to Voice 2, it goes wide open for the ultra clear neck tone.
                            Hi Frank
                            Are you from fishman? I would like to reach out to you offline via direct message if that's alright with you. I have contacted support but unfortunately I did not receive any reply back.

Comment

Originally posted by sd4ever View Post
                              Hi Frank
                              Are you from fishman?
                              Oh, c'mon Leland!

You already know Frank. And yes, I know who you are.

As I told you, you can run, but you can't hide from me!

Comment

Working...
                              X