Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-S-S with 2 Volume controls, Strat wiring

Greetings,

I'm rewiring a Strat copy with a friend of mine. We are planning to put a JBj or a Hotrails in the bridge position and giving it a unique control layout with 2 Volume controls (1 for the bridge alone, 1 for both single coils). I have drawn somewhat of a wiring diagram but despite having wired countless guitars I'm not sure about this one.
    So my question is, is it possible? And if yes could somebody come up with an idea how to wire it?

Thanks in advance!
    Luke

Re: H-S-S with 2 Volume controls, Strat wiring

Welcome to the Forum!

Can you post what you have so far? This certainly seems possible, and while I am no wiring expert (and certainly bad at art), we have some folks here that know this stuff inside and out and between all of us, we can sort out your wiring.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

H-S-S with 2 Volume controls, Strat wiring

Hi riffyraccoon, and welcome to the forum!

Cool idea, but you end up almost having to think in reverse from standard Strat wiring in order to pull it off. I came up with a diagram for you based on a couple of assumptions on my part:
      • That your remaining tone knob is becoming a MASTER tone control
      • That you have a standard Strat-style 5-way switch

I think this will work pretty good for you. Let me know if you have any questions, and be sure to tell us how it turns out!
      Originally posted by The Commodores?
      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I've looked around for a wiring diagram like this for awhile - looks interesting. Over the years I've tried a bunch of different HSS configurations and it's always a compromise with only 250Ks or 500Ks.

Don't know if you've seen how fender does it on the recent HSS Shawbucker models - they use a stacked 250K/500K volume control.

Comment

Originally posted by mleffler View Post
          I've looked around for a wiring diagram like this for awhile - looks interesting. Over the years I've tried a bunch of different HSS configurations and it's always a compromise with only 250Ks or 500Ks.

Don't know if you've seen how fender does it on the recent HSS Shawbucker models - they use a stacked 250K/500K volume control.
          I know this an older thread, BUT since this thread still comes up in internet searches for a HSS wiring diagram that features 2 volumes and 1 tone, i wanted to "add to a good thing" by mentioning that, with regards to a master tone that will "play nice" with both singlecoils and humbuckers, see the method below advised by the Fralin Pickups website.

And hats off to forum member BriGuy1968 for coming up with that clever 2 volume 1 tone diagram above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200113_003658.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	5818167
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
          X