banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 strings 34 in scale: What to expect from the B string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 strings 34 in scale: What to expect from the B string?

I am a guitar player and have been using my friend's 4 string bass for the last year so I am not that much of a newbie yet still lots to learn about bass and looking to by me a bass and send this one back to my friend. So I was offered a used Yamaha RBX 375 which price wise and feature wise is very attractive to me except for one single thing: 5 strings over 34 in scale.

I have read 5 strings over 34 in scale is in general a hit and miss thing, some people claim it works for them while other claim they preferred to get a proper 35 inch to get a good tone out of the B string. On the other hand nobody seems to complain about 5 strings over 35 inch scale.

So being myself a guitar player and never owned any 5 strings bass I find it hard to hear on demos what the problem is with B string on a 34 in scale bass. People describe it as floppy but.. what does it mean? Should I care when playing live or doing home recording? As you may guess from the question I have never played downtune guitar before so I don't have a clue.

I already know I could get two basses, one 35 in for metal and one 34 in for classic rock, blues, etc. but that is not gonna happen now while on the other hand I could get this used Yamaha now for a good price.
    Who took my guitar?

Re: 5 strings 34 in scale: What to expect from the B string?

A larger diameter B string on a 34" bass will generally sound as strong as a smaller one on a 35" bass. It's about tension.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yep. I use mediums in standard 45-125. For me 125 is good for standard. I would definitely bump it up a bit if I was doing anything lower.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Personally, I feel a totally passive 34" 5 string does leave something to be desired. My Jazz V sounded great on the top 4 strings and just fell flat on the B. It wasn't really floppy, it just didn't have the punch, resonance and sustain of the top 4 strings. I have since replaced the pickups with Quarter Pounds and added a preamp which helps a bit, but if I was gigging with a 5, I'd get a different instrument.

It might be my instrument (yours may be better), and it might be my playing style and expectations though.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

5 strings 34 in scale: What to expect from the B string?

Depends on the brand of strings. I've been playing 5 strings since 1987. I only play 34" scales.

After trying a zillion different brands, the best B string is made by D'Addario and Ken Smith. Rotos are awful. GHS sound like old strings.

I'm currently using Hartke SX stainless steel strings with an .040 G and .120 B. They are made by D'addario.

My main bass is an '87 Ibanez SR-885LE. It's passive with my own pickups in it and an aluminum Hipshot A bridge. The low B sounds as good as the E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by DavidRavenMoon; 05-15-2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
            Yep. I use mediums in standard 45-125. For me 125 is good for standard. I would definitely bump it up a bit if I was doing anything lower.
            I went to some stores yesterday and ha d the chance to play a few 5 string bases. I was surprised to find all of them have ligth sets and that was making the B string floppy on all of them. I have been using a medium set so as most of the comments I have found suggest to try thicker strings I will definitely keep that in mind.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
              I went to some stores yesterday and ha d the chance to play a few 5 string bases. I was surprised to find all of them have ligth sets and that was making the B string floppy on all of them. I have been using a medium set so as most of the comments I have found suggest to try thicker strings I will definitely keep that in mind.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
              If you find that 125 isn't enough, then check out Kalium strings. They make gauges that go into the 200's for heavy down tuning.
              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                If you find that 125 isn't enough, then check out Kalium strings. They make gauges that go into the 200's for heavy down tuning.
                I just pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a used Yamaha RBX 375 from a friend, it already had .045-.125 in it and the B string is fine for me with that gauge, it is a 34 in scale bass. So I guess you can say this is a NBD post. Thank you all for the comments and help.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

I got new strings for my used Yamaha RBX 375, DAddario .045 - .130, I am not an expert of bass strings but these feel very nice and the B string is flexible yet not floppy.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                  X