Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Gibson? Content

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Aren't you supposed to put a smiley face next to an absurd comment like that? Probaby reflects on your ridiculous knowledge of guitars to insinuate a cheap Chinese knockoff is better than a USA Gibson.
    Have you looked at a new production line Gibson lately?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
      Have you? We get you can't stand Gibson but enough already.
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Wait, he keeps this particular guitar in a safe?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
          Have you? We get you can't stand Gibson but enough already.
          Yes. I own a 2016 Gibson... and my Korean Dillion is a superior guitar in every way. Sorry, but for what Gibsons cost fit and finish issues should not be a thing. Frets should be perfectly leveled, crowned and polished out of the box. And electronics should be top-notch. I would level many of these same criticisms at the production-line Fender stuff; it's garbage and other people are making their guitars better than them for less money. There's a reason all my strats are partscasters. Fender and Gibson are ripoff artists.

Comment

Yes. I own a 2016 Gibson... and my Korean Dillion is a superior guitar in every way. Sorry, but for what Gibsons cost fit and finish issues should not be a thing. Frets should be perfectly leveled, crowned and polished out of the box. And electronics should be top-notch. I would level many of these same criticisms at the production-line Fender stuff; it's garbage and other people are making their guitars better than them for less money. There's a reason all my strats are partscasters. Fender and Gibson are ripoff artists.
            Hello all. I just got on this awesome site and glad to be here! I looked at the Gibsons at a GC locally. I am older and newer to guitar, but an old audiophile. Well after checking out the Gibson, I bought THREE Epiphones. Love the necks, Pups aren't bad at all and the lack of crappy finish on the back of the neck was the main factor for me. Not sticky at all, just the way I like it. The only expensive axe I ever owned was a G&L that cost me like $1400. Worst guitar I have had yet, that bridge HB PUP was terrible. My 1st try at chiming in and LOVE GUITAR!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Davella View Post
              Hello all. I just got on this awesome site and glad to be here! I looked at the Gibsons at a GC locally. I am older and newer to guitar, but an old audiophile. Well after checking out the Gibson, I bought THREE Epiphones. Love the necks, Pups aren't bad at all and the lack of crappy finish on the back of the neck was the main factor for me. Not sticky at all, just the way I like it. The only expensive axe I ever owned was a G&L that cost me like $1400. Worst guitar I have had yet, that bridge HB PUP was terrible. My 1st try at chiming in and LOVE GUITAR!!
              This. A lot of Epis I've seen are BETTER GUITARS than their more expensive Gibson equivalents. Hardware and electronics often need help, but so does the stuff in the Gibsons so really what's the downside? I urge anyone to check out the copies Dillion is making... I'm blown away by how good this Phoenix is. My Gibson? If I'd been the one to buy it new I'd have sent it back. It was only two months old when I got it and I had to have the frets leveled. I junked ALL the electronics and replaced the bridge and the nut. Even better, a small crack spontaneously developed between a screw hole and the edge of the body on the lower horn a few months later. The guy who bought this new paid $1200. What the actual hell?

Comment

Looks fake to me. I would be very wary.

As for the general Gibson debate, I used to work at a music shop and was astounded by how many of the Gibson's we got actually passed QC.
                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
                  A guy is wanting to trade me this and is arguing that it's real. But I've never seen one before.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]80831[/ATTACH]
                  Hard to tell from the photo, but the RW fingerboard and the body color make me suspicious. But every now and then the Gibson Custom Shop does something interesting. Caveat emptor.

In hand, it gets easier. The bridge will have metric spacing on the Asian guitars, and the pots can tell you a lot. Finally, SMELL it. Open it up. A Gibson will smell like fresh, clean wood. Most of the Asian guitars I've encountered have a peculiar chemical smell, and it is a dead giveaway.

It's a shame...many guys buy these fakes and don't know they're fake until they try to sell. Ran into this a couple of months ago. And the guys who do know...they're just scumbags out to make a buck.

Please let us know what you find out. Can't wait to hear.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Yes, I just bought one last month it is a tone monster and it plays like a dream. My grandfather could find 50 things he doesn't like about a new Corvette. That doesn't mean the car is garbage. It is just not for him.

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
                      A guy is wanting to trade me this and is arguing that it's real. But I've never seen one before.
                      The headstock is WAAAY off

Click image for larger version

Name:	11962.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	5800484

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        Yes, I just bought one last month it is a tone monster and it plays like a dream. My grandfather could find 50 things he doesn't like about a new Corvette. That doesn't mean the car is garbage. It is just not for him.
                        Maybe you managed to score a good one, but if we're ever in the same neck of the woods, you and I should go to GC together sometime. We'll look at every Les Paul and SG on the wall and I will bet you $100 that at least 50% of them will sport a fit and finish or fretwork flaw that is simply unacceptable on a guitar at that price point.

Comment

Oh did i say gibson? i meant chibson.

Comment

Maybe you managed to score a good one, but if we're ever in the same neck of the woods, you and I should go to GC together sometime. We'll look at every Les Paul and SG on the wall and I will bet you $100 that at least 50% of them will sport a fit and finish or fretwork flaw that is simply unacceptable on a guitar at that price point.
                            There isn't anyone who knows a ****ing thing about guitars that doesn't understand Gibson has ALWAYS been flakey. They make great stuff, they make firewood, and a world of stuff in between you're beating a dead horse here.
                            My Bands -
                            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

There isn't anyone who knows a ****ing thing about guitars that doesn't understand Gibson has ALWAYS been flakey. They make great stuff, they make firewood, and a world of stuff in between you're beating a dead horse here.
                              So why oh why do people keep giving them money? There isn't a single thing they make that isn't being reproduced for much less.

Comment

Wait Scott let him finish I haven't heard this "NEW" Gibson is garbage argument before.

Comment

Working...
                                X