What's wrong with this picture? Gibson? Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Gibson? Content

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the good ones are very good. That and lots of folks will pay extra for a name. That being said, in a free market, sloppy QC will catch up to you. No company is too​ big to fail. Many companies that thought they were learned the painful lesson otherwise.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
      So why oh why do people keep giving them money?
      Because it is our money. Not your money. Why do you care so much what we do with it? Lets say you are right for the sake of argument and Gibson is garbage. Are you that concerned with how we spend out cash? If so you should accompany each one of us to the Supermarket to ensure we are buying the freshest produce. I would love to see you thump a melon. After than you can counsel me on the distribution in my 401K.

Comment

Fifteen guitars at the BriGuy household and not ONE is a Gibson.

The reason? Money is always tight, so guitar purchases for me are always about the best bang for my buck. But don't get me wrong... if I had the cash to pay for the luxury, I'd have a wonderful collection of LPs. I've seen enough stories about their QC being inconsistent to know that I'd want to pay close attention and play several before purchasing, but I've also seen enough stories about how great they are (not to mention some GORGEOUS finishes... I'm a sucker for a pretty face) that I'm confident I could find one I could bond with.

But for now, I stay on the outside of the LP club looking in (kinda like Bob Seger stalking a stripper).
        Originally posted by The Commodores?
        "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          Because it is our money. Not your money. Why do you care so much what we do with it? Lets say you are right for the sake of argument and Gibson is garbage. Are you that concerned with how we spend out cash? If so you should accompany each one of us to the Supermarket to ensure we are buying the freshest produce. I would love to see you thump a melon. After than you can counsel me on the distribution in my 401K.
          Lol, careful what you wish for. Plenty of altruists out there who'll take you up on it.
          The mental image of one of them thumping a melon is priceless.

Comment

Dude, if you have 15 guitars you could sell most or all of them and have a small number of great guitars!
            I understand. I once looked around at all five of my "project" cars, all bought cheap one at a time, and thought "crap, if I sell all these I could buy one really nice car!" And I did.

And yes, you have to play several Gibsons to find one that feels just right. But when you do, it is heavenly.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              The mental image of one of them thumping a melon is priceless.
              I freaking love thumping melons, you know I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                And yes, you have to play several Gibsons to find one that feels just right. But when you do, it is heavenly.
                +1

I must've played several dozen different LPs in the fall of 2001 before I found my Standard Plus.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I too know the art of choosing the ripest freshest.

Comment

I have seen nuerous threads here on how crappy Gibson is these days, mainly poor fretwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                      I have seen nuerous threads here on how crappy Gibson is these days, mainly poor fretwork.
                      That's what pisses me off the most... I shouldn't EVER see a guitar in a store that needs the frets leveled. Certainly not at those prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                        Dude, if you have 15 guitars you could sell most or all of them and have a small number of great guitars!
                        I understand. I once looked around at all five of my "project" cars, all bought cheap one at a time, and thought "crap, if I sell all these I could buy one really nice car!" And I did.

Yeah, I get that, but I also am enjoying the collection and learning the ins and outs of the varying styles/configurations/pickups I have. I'm gonna get there eventually (probably after I get all the kids moved out... big family) but in the meantime I'm enjoying the journey and the experiences.
                        Originally posted by The Commodores?
                        "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

One particular case is Astrozombie's LP whose trapezoid inlay actually popped out. WTF?!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
                            That's what pisses me off the most... I shouldn't EVER see a guitar in a store that needs the frets leveled. Certainly not at those prices.
                            That I agree with.

Regarding your earlier comment about Guitar Center, I honestly wonder if they end up with all of the duds that no one else wants?

Another thing I see far too frequently on USA Gibsons are improperly cut nuts, usually with the slots too narrow. I don't expect that I can switch to 11s without modifying the nut, but the guitar should stay in tune and the nut shouldn't bind with the factory strings.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                              One particular case is Astrozombie's LP whose trapezoid inlay actually popped out. WTF?!
                              Yeah, but wasn't he modding that guitar and screwing with it before he even had the plastic off the pickguard? I have the exact same Les Paul Traditional Ice Tea Burst and have never had a problem with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                                That I agree with.

Regarding your earlier comment about Guitar Center, I honestly wonder if they end up with all of the duds that no one else wants?

Another thing I see far too frequently on USA Gibsons are improperly cut nuts, usually with the slots too narrow. I don't expect that I can switch to 11s without modifying the nut, but the guitar should stay in tune and the nut shouldn't bind with the factory strings.
                                My Firebird had that problem amongst several others. Honestly? The Korean Dillion that came to live at my house a week ago is a superior guitar in every way, and they roll out for a street price of around HALF that of the Gibson.

Another thing about price: If I can get one of these new for $x, that is what an equivalent guitar of this quality is worth. Period. I won't pay for a name, nor will I pay extra because country of origin. If a Firebird costs any more than this Dillion Phoenix, it needs to be a demonstrably better instrument. It won't happen so long as production is in the US. Frankly there's no way in hell anyone is going to build a guitar as good as this Dillion in America for as little as the Dillion goes for, and to my way of thinking that's just the best damn argument in the world to offshore production. I don't care where it's made, not even a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X