Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Gibson? Content

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    Yeah, but wasn't he modding that guitar and screwing with it before he even had the plastic off the pickguard? I have the exact same Les Paul Traditional Ice Tea Burst and have never had a problem with mine.
    I'd say the weather in Puerto Rico is a more likely culprit than any mods Astro tried.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
      I won't pay for a name.
      Once again your assumptions blow me away. The SDUGF is a forum FULL of professional musicians. Do you think we choose our gear based on the name? Just looking at the Gibson players that have posted in this thread represent decades of musical experience and varying styles of music. They are not buying the tools of their trade based on a name, including myself. I would challenge any guitar player to play my No. 1 guitar, a 2011 Gibson Les Paul Traditional and tell me the guitar is flawed in any way. I don't feel I got lucky with my guitars I am a Gibson man, I have four of them, and I am proud to play the brand.

If you do not like Gibsons, that is great. Stay out of the Gibson threads if you only contributions is to tell us how bad our guitars are. If you continue it someone will take offence, and the thread will go bad.

We get it you do not like Gibsons, that is fine and your prerogative. Do not sap the joy out of us that love the guitars and want to discuss our dedication to the instrument. Find another thread, forum or internet and move on.

Comment

My experience is: on average I had to play 5-10 Fenders to find the good one in store and 2-3 Gibsons to find the good one. I currently have 5 Fenders (not counting Gretsch) and 7 Gibsons. I have bought both sight unseen across the Internet also with about similar but slightly better results (both about the same quality and playability.)

Comment

Once again your assumptions blow me away. The SDUGF is a forum FULL of professional musicians. Do you think we choose our gear based on the name? Just looking at the Gibson players that have posted in this thread represent decades of musical experience and varying styles of music. They are not buying the tools of their trade based on a name, including myself. I would challenge any guitar player to play my No. 1 guitar, a 2011 Gibson Les Paul Traditional and tell me the guitar is flawed in any way. I don't feel I got lucky with my guitars I am a Gibson man, I have four of them, and I am proud to play the brand.

If you do not like Gibsons, that is great. Stay out of the Gibson threads if you only contributions is to tell us how bad our guitars are. If you continue it someone will take offence, and the thread will go bad.

We get it you do not like Gibsons, that is fine and your prerogative. Do not sap the joy out of us that love the guitars and want to discuss our dedication to the instrument. Find another thread, forum or internet and move on.
          Well the only person I am aware of who makes a living playing music is Mincer.

Of course the members here choose gear based on the name. Why do you think Gibson and Fender are more popular than Ibanez and Yamaha? Yeah superb QC sure..

Same thing for effects, people prefer TC and Dunlop to 'inferior competitors' from overseas like Zoom. Come on, don't delude yourself. You may not realize it and that's okay.

And I don't get why you seem so pissed off cause people bash Gibson.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
            Well the only person I am aware of who makes a living playing music is Mincer...
            And I don't get why you seem so pissed off cause people bash Gibson.
            I am trying to say this without getting an infraction. You might want to look at some of the poster's signatures or profiles. You have been here for a year. I have known what these guys do professionally for years. I don't bash any gear. I don't care what anyone plays. I think people that do bash other peoples gear be it, Gibson, Berringer, Line 6 are jackasses. It is about the talent of the artist not the name on the guitar or amp.

Think of it this way. I live in New England. I hate lobster. I believe it is a bottom feeding sea bug and have no desire to eat it. What kind of jackass would I be if I had to say that every time someone ate a lobster? And if I didn't get a response would I be in the right t to shout through the meal how horrible lobster was?

We get it he doesn't like Gibson. Let's move on. I don't like Chavel, Fender or Vox. Do I make it a point to post in those threads to tell people they are wasting their money and they do not have the ability to judge a playable instrument? Nope, I dont.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
              Well the only person I am aware of who makes a living playing music is Mincer.
              Let me rephrase this. In this forum, you have access to some of the most talented touring, recording and performing guitar players on the planet. And yes Dave (Mincer) is one of them but not the only one, even he would be quick to tell you that. There are no absolutes in our art. Everyone uses different brushes and strokes. If we can all appreciate what each other are doing at the end of the day, we have a community.

Comment

We get it he doesn't like Gibson. Let's move on. I don't like Chavel, Fender or Vox. Do I make it a point to post in those threads to tell people they are wasting their money and they do not have the ability to judge a playable instrument? Nope, I dont.
                I don't think he doesn't like Gibson for no reason other than his own bad experience, as he indeed owns an LP.

And he isn't the only one who complains about Gibson QC, as I have seen many threads here on Gibson's poor worksmanship. So he isn't an anomaly.

Comment

This thread has taken a turn lol. Over the past few months I have owned 5 gibsons and 3 had problems. The explorer faded I did a thread about should have never left the factory. The gold top classic was perfect the weight just killed my shoulder. The first sg standard was good for about a week then got a lot of hum and buzz. GC wanted me to bring it and let their tech check it. The bridge ground had completely broken off the circuit board.
                  So they exchanged it for another standard that was even better. For 3 days then the clear coat started flaking off the neck and binding. It was completely gone from the nut to the 2nd fret. I called Gibson the guy did not seem surprised and said stuff wasn't curing enough before it left the factory. So they told me to return it. So once again I spent 3 hours and tried about 20 gibsons. There was some great ones some good ones then some that were awful.
                  Wouldn't you know the best playing and sounding one they had besides the historics was a 2017 sg faded in cherry. It was just a little heavier than the other sg's and sounded better unplugged. The frets are perfect and holds tune great. i was raised on Gibson and have owned some nice ones in the almost 25 years I've been playing. But at the same time I have owned some dogs. Gibson is not the same company they used to be no one can deny that. Their QC has went down a lot. But at the same time they do make some great guitars.
                  No company is at the top of their game 100% of the time. But to get the thread back on track the guy stopped sending me messages when I requested more pics and info.

Comment

Hah sorry dude I had completely forgotten what the thread started as lol

Yeah that was at best a fair copy

As for Gibson not being what they once were well....Orville's been dead a loooong time now
                    Last edited by Wattage; 06-01-2017, 12:00 AM.
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Pretty much a pointless discussion. No one's mind is going to change.

Besides, even if you guys that hate Gibson actually FOUND a perfect Les Paul for $1000, you'd STILL be ripping out the pickups, "upgrading" the wiring, sanding off the back of the neck, putting strap locks on it and be crabbing about the weight within 15 minutes of bringing it home!

-----

Since Gibson is using a Plek machine to level frets and cut nuts....

....maybe we should complain about Plek for a change of pace.

-----

I have never been onstage with one of my Gibsons and thought, "Gee, I'd rather be playing my Epiphone."

Or Dillon. Or Squire. Or Michael Kelly. Or...

I have never been on stage with my Gibson and had somebody come up and say, "Yeah, you're an okay guitar player...but you'd sound better if you played an Epiphone." (N-E-V-E-R.)

I have had players want to look at them closely, play it or even just touch it. (NO!)

I have had beautiful women comment on my beautiful guitar. (Nice!) (I let at them touch it...)

------

I have several guitars in the $3000 range. I'm not gonna buy a $6 strap to put on it...if I find an $80 strap I like, that's what I get. If I have to spend another $50-$75 to make it play EXACTLY like I want it to with the strings I like, it's not a big deal. Not gonna ***** about it on a forum...I'm gonna get it done NOW and get it done right.

I do have some budget guitars too, btw. And they do offer great value. There are a lot of great guitars on the market, and fortunately for us, they play and sound great. And, there is the huge aftermarket parts scene. Mod it...make it "better". Simple. Didn't have that when I was starting out.

But I like nice guitars, and they have value to me. Bought my first Gibson back in 1972, and had at least one ever since. Buying my first Martin guitar was an epiphany. My old Harmony blew away most '60s Gibsons I'd played, but the D-18 was SPECIAL. Addicting.

Nice guitars, like Gibsons, are addicting. Even when they have flaws. Yeah, Cindy Crawford has that mole on her face...an imperfection...and it's damn sexy!

Bill
                      Last edited by Boogie Bill; 06-01-2017, 12:05 AM.
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                        Have you? We get you can't stand Gibson but enough already.
                        I've done work on them. They leave file marks on the neck binding and there was chatter marks on the fretboard from the cutter. And splatters of solder on the inside.

Crappy quality. Epiphones are made better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                          I've done work on them. They leave file marks on the neck binding and there was chatter marks on the fretboard from the cutter. And splatters of solder on the inside.

Crappy quality. Epiphones are made better.

But Gibson and Fender have no incentive to change, because people are going to keep buying their stuff regardless. Guys, there is NO voodoo magic happening in the Gibson plant. If another manufacturer is making a guitar using similar materials and construction methods and your odds of picking up a good one are better than with Gibson then why would you even consider a Gibson? There's no magic in the manufacturing process; no trade secrets. But it's funny to watch people. One of my friends... a pro player... uses all kind of things to record, many of which are weird cheap guitars he has modded. He WILL NOT step onto a stage where people can see him playing anything that doesn't say Fender or Gibson on the headstock.
                          Last edited by 2ndhandband; 06-01-2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
                            But Gibson and Fender have no incentive to change, because people are going to keep buying their stuff regardless. Guys, there is NO voodoo magic happening in the Gibson plant. If another manufacturer is making a guitar using similar materials and construction methods and your odds of picking up a good one are better than with Gibson then why would you even consider a Gibson? There's no magic in the name. But it's funny to watch people. One of my friends... a pro player... uses all kind of things to record, many of which are weird cheap guitars he has modded. He WILL NOT step onto a stage where people can see him playing anything that doesn't say Fender or Gibson on the headstock.
                            That's why I mostly play a Parker guitar and an '87 Ibanez bass. [emoji6] Plus guitars and basses I built.

Everyone and their mother plays a Strat or Les Paul. Try all get the same tones and play the same notes. People are afraid to try and be original.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                              Hah sorry dude I had completely forgotten what the thread started as lol

Yeah that was at best a fair copy

As for Gibson not being what they once were well....Orville's been dead a loooong time now
                              DANG! Gotta give old Orville some cred for being a sharp dresser!
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

There are 2 Dillon guitar companies? I was looking at them before, yet cant play one anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X