What's wrong with this picture? Gibson? Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Gibson? Content

To get back to the OP, despite being an obvious fake it's actually a pretty good looking guitar. If it plays well, sounds good and is nice & lively I'd say it's worth at least a hundred or so. Maybe even two, if it's in perfect shape and comes with a good case.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
      To get back to the OP, despite being an obvious fake it's actually a pretty good looking guitar. If it plays well, sounds good and is nice & lively I'd say it's worth at least a hundred or so. Maybe even two, if it's in perfect shape and comes with a good case.
      I would avoid it all together. The headstocks on those fakes are a ticking time bomb. They snap off if you look at them crosseyed, super fragile. They have been known to have a host of other problems.

Comment

I wasn't rippin on Gibson. Not at all. At my skill level, or lack of, I would rather have 3 guitars than 1 very expensive Les Paul. But that is me, and fact be told, I WILL want a real Gibson. But I practice all day, and the finish on the neck for me is more important than the size , profile or whatever. Like it or not, the Gibson is BEYOND just being a guitar. It is an icon of our culture and they are BEAUTIFUL! I am a newb player, but I just love the guitar. The look, the idea, the sounds, everything! Always have, and I also have supported the music industry as well. Sorry to seem bashing Gibson, I wasn't. I think my 1st Gibson will be from early 2000's, and when she somehow appears, I am gonna get 1!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Davella View Post
          There are 2 Dillon guitar companies? I was looking at them before, yet cant play one anywhere.
          I think the one out of canada is defunct but I'm not sure. It's a completely different company, and the canada ones were/are being made in China. I have no idea about quality. The ones coming from Korea are the ones that say made for Dillion USA on the back of the headstock. I have a Phoenix and it's an absolute Firebird killer. Great guitar. I haven't gigged it yet because I'm waiting on a vibrola to ship from Germany; I won't go on without a whammy bar. But I'm excited to play it live.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	My Baby.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	5800488

Comment

Old man trying to add a picture LOL. This is my fave. Solid hunk of wood for sure. Local guy added a JB/JAZZ set and this baby screams! No buzz, and the action is so low! My buddy is a great player and says this is a monster. He really likes the neck PUP. I love this guitar. Whatever it is, this has IT.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                Aren't you supposed to put a smiley face next to an absurd comment like that? Probaby reflects on your ridiculous knowledge of guitars to insinuate a cheap Chinese knockoff is better than a USA Gibson.
                Actually he's probably right. Have you played any USA Gibsons over the past 15 years? Somehow Epiphone gets it right a lot more than Gibson.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
                Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  Yes, I just bought one last month it is a tone monster and it plays like a dream. My grandfather could find 50 things he doesn't like about a new Corvette. That doesn't mean the car is garbage. It is just not for him.
                  In all fairness, if you get a good Gibson it's a good guitar. The problem is that they're wildly inconsistent. Having worked for Gibson dealers and played an inordinate amount of them I can confidently say that you should always play a Gibson before purchasing.

Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                    In all fairness, if you get a good Gibson it's a good guitar. The problem is that they're wildly inconsistent. Having worked for Gibson dealers and played an inordinate amount of them I can confidently say that you should always play a Gibson before purchasing.

I sold Peavey stuff back around the turn of the century, including the Wolfgang guitar. Now that axe was a bit on the pricey side for what it was, but still less than your average Gibson. It was spendy first because EVH got an exceptionally large royalty per unit, and second because of the standards. I heard stories from peavey reps about EVH showing up randomly on the assembly lines and throwing fits if any post-setup guitar he picked up wasn't just so. His standard was that he should be able to send his tech into any dealer anywhere to grab him a couple guitars and go onstage with them without anybody having to mess with anything. And I will say Wolfgangs were stunningly consistent; you could close your eyes and just randomly grab one off the wall and be guaranteed a good guitar.

That should be normal, at least for anything retailing at 1k or more.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
                      I sold Peavey stuff back around the turn of the century, including the Wolfgang guitar. Now that axe was a bit on the pricey side for what it was, but still less than your average Gibson. It was spendy first because EVH got an exceptionally large royalty per unit, and second because of the standards. I heard stories from peavey reps about EVH showing up randomly on the assembly lines and throwing fits if any post-setup guitar he picked up wasn't just so. His standard was that he should be able to send his tech into any dealer anywhere to grab him a couple guitars and go onstage with them without anybody having to mess with anything. And I will say Wolfgangs were stunningly consistent; you could close your eyes and just randomly grab one off the wall and be guaranteed a good guitar.

That should be normal, at least for anything retailing at 1k or more.
                      That's why I own a Peavey Wolfgang and if I hit the lottery I'd buy every Peavey Wolfgang I could find.
                      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                        That's why I own a Peavey Wolfgang and if I hit the lottery I'd buy every Peavey Wolfgang I could find.
                        They weren't for me, but they were consistently great guitars no question.

Comment

What's wrong with this picture? Gibson? Content

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
                          I think the one out of canada is defunct but I'm not sure. It's a completely different company, and the canada ones were/are being made in China. I have no idea about quality. The ones coming from Korea are the ones that say made for Dillion USA on the back of the headstock. I have a Phoenix and it's an absolute Firebird killer. Great guitar. I haven't gigged it yet because I'm waiting on a vibrola to ship from Germany; I won't go on without a whammy bar. But I'm excited to play it live.
                          No one said Gibson has any 'voodoo.' IME I've had a much easier time finding good Gibsons than any other brand and they made the famous tones I needed to cop for the work I've done almost as-is off the line and with much less effort than other guitars I have. (Parker is the only exception to that statement.)

It's strange you crap on someone who won't go on without a Gibson, but here you won't go on without a Vibrola whammy. I guess we all have our quirks.

Comment

We all, most definitely, have our quirks, eccentricities, tastes etc.
                            I suppose that is why I continue to frequent the place.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              No one said Gibson has any 'voodoo.' IME I've had a much easier time finding good Gibsons than any other brand and they made the famous tones I needed to cop for the work I've done almost as-is off the line and with much less effort than other guitars I have. (Parker is the only exception to that statement.)

It's strange you crap on someone who won't go on without a Gibson, but here you won't go on without a Vibrola whammy. I guess we all have our quirks.
                              I didn't say without a vibrola... just a whammy in general and a vibrola is a natural choice for a guitar like this. The whammy bar is a pretty integral part of my playing, and if I don't have one I'm constantly reaching for it and wishing it was there.

As for the sounds, you'll never sell me on the notion that brands making guitars using the same body woods, same general construction principles, and similarly voiced electronics aren't going to get largely the same tones. Assuming the same basic shape and construction whoever has the best QC wins by default... or at least they should. If you think that company is Gibson you simply have not been paying attention. I'm not a lone voice crying out in the wilderness here.

Comment

You get a mahogany body with a maple cap, a nitro paint job and a guitar that is going to hold it's value better than just about any product you can by. The rest you can adjust yourself or have adjusted. I say go Gibson and/or American Fender over most anything else and don't under any circumstances put SNSs in them

Comment

Working...
                                X