Playing bass and guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing bass and guitar

How do some get used to playing guitar and bass? i just bought a bass and wow its a hole new thing for me. more tension because of the scale and requires more finger muscle. how will light gauge strings sound on it, like less than 105?

Re: Playing bass and guitar

Rather than switching to lighter strings, make sure the action is set properly and then just practice and you will get used to it in no time.

I think playing (more so practicing) both guitar and bass is excellent and can expand your playing on both instruments.

Comment

It's not that hard really... you only have to play one note at a time.

I hate playing bass, but I have a couple lying around. I would never join a band as a bass player but sometimes I fill in on bass. I'm not on anyone's first call list as a bassist not because I'm bad at it but because I charge more to play bass. A lot more. As in you're probably going to give me half of what your band makes that night. So I only get calls for bass if a band has to get a replacement on very short notice... gimme your setlist and 12 hours and I guarantee a good show.

Why do I charge so much for bass jobs? Two reasons. Number one I friggin hate it. Number two it's harder to get laid when I'm playing bass.

Comment

IMHO playing both bass and guitar is good for many reasons, There is always pros and cons.

Pros: I play bass with a pick mostly so I have felt both my hands to get stronger for playing bass so when I pick the guitar it is way easier to pluck a string or a fast run I don't get stuck between strings anymore. My fingering hand is stronger so string bending is easier and I thing I can play guitar for a longer period of time before I need a break. For songwriting now I have a bigger perspective on how these two instrument can work together, I even write parts where the bass is in the spotlight and not just the guitar as before. Finally, now I am able to do a complete home recording of guitar, bass, software drums and voice with a microphone I have here, it is very satisfying to be able to write and record a full song 100% of your own.

Cons: Now I am GASing for bass pedals and amps
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Playing bass and guitar

Although primarily a bass player, I've been playing both for about 47 years. I play bass in some bands and guitar in others. When I write and record music I play all the parts. [emoji3]

If I've been playing guitar more when I switch back to bass it tires my left hand out a lot quicker! So when I know I have a gig coming up I have to play bass more.

Bass requires a little more strength and wider stretch of the fingers. These days I mostly play with a pick. But I've done it both ways. Slapping too.

I only play 5 string basses. I like light gauge strings, .040 to .120. That's mostly because you can get more articulation, and when playing very fast the strings don't move out from under my fingers.

So the key is just play the bass a lot and learn to think like a bass player. Listen to bass lines. It's a very different role in music than guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by DavidRavenMoon; 06-07-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
            As someone who plays bass and guitar, this is incredibly disingenuous to what bass playing actually is. With guitar, you can pretty much just follow the chord structure and you'll sound pro. With bass, you have to be thinking about the next note that you want to play. Despite popular mythology, the bassist is actually the most important member of the band. People respond better psychologically to a good bass groove than they do a rippin guitar solo. Bassists control the tempo, not the drummer. If the guitarist plays a wrong note, everyone knows it was just the guitarist. If the bassist plays a wrong note, everyone thinks it's the rest of the band.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
              As someone who plays bass and guitar, this is incredibly disingenuous to what bass playing actually is. With guitar, you can pretty much just follow the chord structure and you'll sound pro. With bass, you have to be thinking about the next note that you want to play. Despite popular mythology, the bassist is actually the most important member of the band. People respond better psychologically to a good bass groove than they do a rippin guitar solo. Bassists control the tempo, not the drummer. If the guitarist plays a wrong note, everyone knows it was just the guitarist. If the bassist plays a wrong note, everyone thinks it's the rest of the band.
              I was being a little facetious there... but it is true that bass, for the most part, is not as technically demanding as guitar. It does indeed require a different way of thinking. But thinking back to my high school garage band days when you literally had to work with whoever you could find to play I have to disagree with you a little. In a rock band context it's easier to cover for a bad bass player than a bad guitar player, because the guitar player is playing the parts people really notice. If he sucks, just make him play the root note a lot. Judas Priest's bassist has been doing that ever since the fourth album or so...

That said, I haven't liked anything Priest has done since the fourth album or so.

Comment

So you are the Lil Wayne of bass guitar playing?

I'm not on anyone's first call list as a bassist not because I'm bad at it but because I charge more to play bass.

Why do I charge so much for bass jobs? Two reasons. Number one I friggin hate it. Number two it's harder to get laid when I'm playing bass.

I was being a little facetious there... but it is true that bass, for the most part, is not as technically demanding as guitar.
                You are not on anyone's first call list because you really don't play the bass–you pluck the root note of a chord.

As someone who plays bass and guitar, this is incredibly disingenuous to what bass playing actually is.

If the guitarist plays a wrong note, everyone knows it was just the guitarist. If the bassist plays a wrong note, everyone thinks it's the rest of the band.
                +1 To this. A bad bass player will bring down the entire band.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post

You are not on anyone's first call list because you really don't play the bass–you pluck the root note of a chord.
                  Not true at all actually... if I'm doing a bass gig I take it seriously. I don't get a lot of bass calls because my absolute bottom dollar for a bass gig is $350 and that's if I have a few days notice and there's no travel involved. I don't like playing bass, and I really hate watching every hot chick in the bar drool all over the singer and lead guitar player while you take the leavings. For bass I'm basically the guy you call when there's 12 hours to go and it's that or cancel, not because of my playing but because of the price. Since I'm not in a band right now any playing I do is standin and the reason I get gigs is I'm fast. I've prepped for a 40 song bar show with 8 hours notice. My secret weapon there is not my ear or my chops but my memory, which is damn near photographic.

Comment

I was being a little facetious there... but it is true that bass, for the most part, is not as technically demanding as guitar. It does indeed require a different way of thinking. But thinking back to my high school garage band days when you literally had to work with whoever you could find to play I have to disagree with you a little. In a rock band context it's easier to cover for a bad bass player than a bad guitar player, because the guitar player is playing the parts people really notice. If he sucks, just make him play the root note a lot. Judas Priest's bassist has been doing that ever since the fourth album or so...
                    No it's not easier to cover for a bad bassist. It's harder. People respond to the bass differently and in any context, the bassist playing a wrong note destroys the entire sound. I know this because I've done it. I had to play an Db and I played an Eb on accident. My teacher stopped the class and we drilled that same pattern for 20 minutes so that I didn't play an Eb again.

Yes playing in high school is a bit different. I sure as hell wasn't the number one on anybody's list for anything. But I was available and I had a garage we could use.

It's interesting that you stress technicality with it comes to music theory and yet say that you don't need to be technical on the instrument that you may be hired to play. It's almost as though you're trying to cover for your lack of skill on an instrument by saying it's not needed.
                    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                    Line 6 Helix
                    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

It's not the bass that is keeping all of the hot chicks away

Awesome for you if you can get $350 a gig for the dreaded chick turn-off block of wood.

In my experience though, paying bands want an actual bass player.

Comment

No it's not easier to cover for a bad bassist. It's harder. People respond to the bass differently and in any context, the bassist playing a wrong note destroys the entire sound. I know this because I've done it. I had to play an Db and I played an Eb on accident. My teacher stopped the class and we drilled that same pattern for 20 minutes so that I didn't play an Eb again.

Yes playing in high school is a bit different. I sure as hell wasn't the number one on anybody's list for anything. But I was available and I had a garage we could use.

It's interesting that you stress technicality with it comes to music theory and yet say that you don't need to be technical on the instrument that you may be hired to play. It's almost as though you're trying to cover for your lack of skill on an instrument by saying it's not needed.
                        Dude... as I said I was being facetious. When called upon to play bass, I take it seriously. THAT SAID, very few bass gigs call for real virtuosity. If anything a Billy Sheehan style player is more of a liability than an asset in most situations.

As for what it's easy to cover for... yes a wrong bass note is the worst thing in the world but that's not what I meant. I meant if you're playing hard rock you can get away with simplifying the bass parts and as long as he doesn't screw up it'll be fine. Working at the level I'm at now I'd consider that unacceptable, but at the garage band level I'd choose a mediocre bass player over a mediocre guitar player.

Comment

It's not the bass that is keeping all of the hot chicks away

Awesome for you if you can get $350 a gig for the dreaded chick turn-off block of wood.

In my experience though, paying bands want an actual bass player.

All I'm gonna say is, at the gig that pic was taken at I got laid! And it was a crummy little dive bar, not a nice place where the chicks are out in force. I did that show mostly cus I had a night off and a friend called in a favor...

Comment

Dude... as I said I was being facetious. When called upon to play bass, I take it seriously. THAT SAID, very few bass gigs call for real virtuosity. If anything a Billy Sheehan style player is more of a liability than an asset in most situations.

As for what it's easy to cover for... yes a wrong bass note is the worst thing in the world but that's not what I meant. I meant if you're playing hard rock you can get away with simplifying the bass parts and as long as he doesn't screw up it'll be fine. Working at the level I'm at now I'd consider that unacceptable, but at the garage band level I'd choose a mediocre bass player over a mediocre guitar player.
                            We are not talking about being a virtuoso here–playing the bass is more than just rudimentary pluckage. Playing the drums is not just hitting an object in time...that is a metronome (without the literally hitting lol)

I would argue that it is much more technically demanding than the guitar. But whatever floats your boat.

All I'm gonna say is, at the gig that pic was taken at I got laid! And it was a crummy little dive bar, not a nice place where the chicks are out in force. I did that show mostly cus I had a night off and a friend called in a favor...
                            Wet dreams don't count

jk!

Comment

Wet dreams don't count

jk!
                              Oh damn... say it ain't so!

And yeah... bands prefer to bring in somebody who makes it their first instrument but when time is tight I'm kind of a go-to around here. Again it has less to do with chops than it does with a damn near eidetic memory.
                              Last edited by 2ndhandband; 06-07-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X