Playing bass and guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing bass and guitar

I've just recently started doing gigs on bass as cover for a metalcore band. Its a difference experience to guitar and its not just the feel. Yes the frets are wider, the strings are thicker and you only play one string but there's more to it.

First of all you're holding the harmony together so if you mess up a root note its instantly noticeable. Also where some guitars may stop/start more you have to keep the pulse going sometimes. I will say its kinda refreshing to play bass as there's less to set up than a guitar rig (usually go DI and only run a tuner pedal in the rig) and there seems to be less attention on me than the guitarists. Most of it is rhythm and as I've normally played rhythm guitar in bands the transition wasn't hard, esp with unison riffs and chord progressions in choruses. Breakdowns are usually on the low string and must match the kick drum.

As there's a severe lack of bassists in the area I could get more gigs whereas guitarists aren't short in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post

As there's a severe lack of bassists in the area I could get more gigs whereas guitarists aren't short in stock.
      True story I'm afraid. As I said in another thread, anybody who seeks out the stage likes attention and bass players seem to get the least of it. Everybody wants to play lead guitar for that reason. It's way easier to make money playing bass.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
        It's not that hard really... you only have to play one note at a time.
        This ranks as the stupidest comment I have ever read on this forum. Obviously you have NO IDEA what playing bass actually means.
        '69 Fender Mustang bass
        '69 Gibson EB-1
        '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
        '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
        '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
        '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
        '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
        '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
          This ranks as the stupidest comment I have ever read on this forum. Obviously you have NO IDEA what playing bass actually means.
          Jesus Christ. I wasn't being serious.

Comment

Jesus Christ. I wasn't being serious.
            That was not clear from your comment.

Not a big fan of smileys, etc., but in this case it would have helped.
            '69 Fender Mustang bass
            '69 Gibson EB-1
            '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
            '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
            '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
            '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
            '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
            '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

True story I'm afraid. As I said in another thread, anybody who seeks out the stage likes attention and bass players seem to get the least of it. Everybody wants to play lead guitar for that reason. It's way easier to make money playing bass.
              I never get what the craze is over play lead guitar. For the band to sound good they have to have a solid rhythm section to start with. Can you imagine your favourite riff being played sloppy and out of time? The bass is actually more important than people think, guitars would sound rubbish without.

Comment

I never get what the craze is over play lead guitar. For the band to sound good they have to have a solid rhythm section to start with. Can you imagine your favourite riff being played sloppy and out of time? The bass is actually more important than people think, guitars would sound rubbish without.
                Because the lead guitar is playing the parts people recognize and remember, and is also playing the flashy solos and stuff. Most audience members don't have the least friggin clue how important a rhythm section is. Guitar looks more glamorous and is playing all the melodic parts, so guitar players get all the attention. What I said upthread about bass players getting last pick of the ladies? It's really true. Even the drummer is ahead of him in line. There's a REASON so few people actually want to play bass.

Comment

Maybe I'm slightly outcast then, cos I always look for groove and tight playing, but that's probably cos I play in a band myself so I'm looking for those things first. Lead is impressive but is merely the icing on the cake for me.

Comment

Maybe I'm slightly outcast then, cos I always look for groove and tight playing, but that's probably cos I play in a band myself so I'm looking for those things first. Lead is impressive but is merely the icing on the cake for me.
                    Well of course... as musicians we see things from a different perspective. As a lead guitar player, if the rhythm section isn't doing it's job then I can't do my job. But the audience doesn't know that... they see the lead guitarist up there shaking his ass and playing flashy licks and think damn that guy is cool. They don't know that we stand on the shoulders of giants. Nobody wants to be the wind beneath somebody else's wings.

Comment

People need to realise that 90% of guitar will be spent on rhythm, I know from an audience perspective it probably don't matter but the majority of people can play the guitar these days, its more rare to find someone round here who can't!

Comment

Because the lead guitar is playing the parts people recognize and remember, and is also playing the flashy solos and stuff. Most audience members don't have the least friggin clue how important a rhythm section is. Guitar looks more glamorous and is playing all the melodic parts, so guitar players get all the attention. What I said upthread about bass players getting last pick of the ladies? It's really true. Even the drummer is ahead of him in line. There's a REASON so few people actually want to play bass.
                        I guess I'm lucky that I have a girlfriend already and don't need to go play live to get any.

As I said before though, the bass player is actually the most important member of a band, and not just for the melodic mistakes that I stated. Our brains are more perceptive of rhythm and note changes in lower notes than we are in higher ones.

So you're basing all of this on what instrument is more glamorous? You're the definition of the guy who picked up guitar to get women. You're my old workout buddy who only wanted to do benching because it was more impressive to the women. Think about what you're saying in this thread and you may find the real reason why people don't call you up for gigs too often.
                        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                        Line 6 Helix
                        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                          I guess I'm lucky that I have a girlfriend already and don't need to go play live to get any.

As I said before though, the bass player is actually the most important member of a band, and not just for the melodic mistakes that I stated. Our brains are more perceptive of rhythm and note changes in lower notes than we are in higher ones.

So you're basing all of this on what instrument is more glamorous? You're the definition of the guy who picked up guitar to get women. You're my old workout buddy who only wanted to do benching because it was more impressive to the women. Think about what you're saying in this thread and you may find the real reason why people don't call you up for gigs too often.
                          1) I get plenty of calls... just not as many to play bass.
                          2) I prefer guitar mostly because I want control of melody and harmony.
                          3) I love to play guitar and also love the company of women. The fact that one often leads to the other is one HELL of a fringe benefit.
                          4) When you're a man in his 40s who has a taste for much younger women and has no interest in exclusivity or commitment you take your advantages where you can get them and playing the guitar is like a magic key.

Comment

This thread: Proof that kvr/gearslut'itis can travel over forums

Comment

2) I prefer guitar mostly because I want control of melody and harmony.
                              Except this isn't true. Control of melody and harmony does come from the bass. If he plays a wrong note, it sounds like the guitar is way off the mark.
                              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                              Line 6 Helix
                              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                                Except this isn't true. Control of melody and harmony does come from the bass. If he plays a wrong note, it sounds like the guitar is way off the mark.
                                Sigghhh... if your bassist or really anybody is consistently playing wrong notes you fire them and get somebody else.

Comment

Working...
                                X