No announcement yet.

Bill Lawrence Bass Pickups Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Lawrence Bass Pickups Experience?

Has anyone tried Bill Lawrence Pickups? (Poles or Rails)

Re: Bill Lawrence Bass Pickups Experience?

Rails, yes - poles, no.
    My experience with Bill Lawrence pickups since the late 70's has been overwhelmingly positive.
    They exhibit clarity with power, and are wonderfully quiet.
    Hard to go wrong with a Lawrence.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      Rails, yes - poles, no.
      My experience with Bill Lawrence pickups since the late 70's has been overwhelmingly positive.
      They exhibit clarity with power, and are wonderfully quiet.
      Hard to go wrong with a Lawrence.
      Thanks! Quiet with clarity and power is what I'm looking for.

I love Lawrences in my electrics and acoustics, gonna go with them on a bass project.

Comment

Yes, their acoustic pickups have been terrific since the 70's.... Probably the first soundhole pickup I ever used way back in the Stone Age. Still selling, installing, and using them today.

Comment

Yes, their acoustic pickups have been terrific since the 70's.... Probably the first soundhole pickup I ever used way back in the Stone Age. Still selling, installing, and using them today.
          My favorite acoustic pickup I've ever used has been a BL A300, doesn't sound sterile or fake. Different feel than the LR Braggs or Fishman stuff (which are great pickups) that just works for me.

Comment

Nope but I wan to hear what they sound like, any videos on U tube?
            BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
            Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
            Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
            Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
            Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
            Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
            Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
            Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
            Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
            Gibson EBO

Comment

This guy plugs in the Lawrence about 3 minutes in....
              Playing it through my Crate CA15. Also comparing it to the less expensive Duncan Performer Maverick pickup I've used for years. These are both magnetic sound...

Comment

I'm starting a project using an EB-50 and EB-60 set. Will be a while, but once I get it all together I will upload a video for tone once it is completed.

Comment

Love those EB-50's. I have 2 basses with them, and they sound great.

Comment

Love those EB-50's. I have 2 basses with them, and they sound great.
                    I'm looking forward to trying them! What type of basses do you have them in? Do you know the wood combo? Any clips?

Never tried Bill Lawrence Bass pickups. Was initially going with a P/J style bass but after reading up on the EB-50 I thought it would be worth a shot.

Comment

Sorry - no clips. My Jazz has an alder body, and a fretless ebony neck with 2 EB-50's and several switches for a full compliment of tones.

The Washburn is actually a guitar (agathis body w/ rosewood neck) converted to a mandocello (low C tuning). I have a pickup selector and a series/parallel switch, master volume, master tone. Has a great, fat tone - no muddiness.

I have a 3rd set sitting around in a box should a project arise which calls for them. Finally, I have an ancient Yamaha BB-300 bass (nato body w/ rosewood neck) with the EB-60 installed in the stock location which sounds great, too - especially for funk or rock tones.

The first Bill Lawrence I ever used was back in the late 70's. I had a Musicmaster bass and the pickup died. Put a Bill Lawrence L-250 Strat pickup in the hole. Didn't change the tone at all, but it was 3 times as loud!
                      Last edited by ICTGoober; 07-05-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Sorry - no clips. My Jazz has an alder body, and a fretless ebony neck with 2 EB-50's and several switches for a full compliment of tones.

The Washburn is actually a guitar (agathis body w/ rosewood neck) converted to a mandocello (low C tuning). I have a pickup selector and a series/parallel switch, master volume, master tone. Has a great, fat tone - no muddiness.

I have a 3rd set sitting around in a box should a project arise which calls for them. Finally, I have an ancient Yamaha BB-300 bass (nato body w/ rosewood neck) with the EB-60 installed in the stock location which sounds great, too - especially for funk or rock tones.

The first Bill Lawrence I ever used was back in the late 70's. I had a Musicmaster bass and the pickup died. Put a Bill Lawrence L-250 Strat pickup in the hole. Didn't change the tone at all, but it was 3 times as loud!
                        No worries on no clips! You can't judge a pickup by the clips anyways...lots of variables. But I'm always curious to hear soundclips.

Do you have pics of how you converted that Washburn to a Mandocello? I was really intrigued when I first heard a Mandocello...until I saw the price! lol

My project is a Roasted Swamp Ash Iceman...probably going with a Maple neck & Fretboard.

Comment

Do you have pics of how you converted that Washburn to a Mandocello?
                          Made a tailpiece from aluminum angle, simple modding of bridge with Fender bass saddles and extra drilling of holes for strings, added 2 more tuning machines to the peghead, and made a new nut from a bone blank. HERE 'TIS..... It was supposed to be a prototype, but it played great and sounded fantastic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	5800932

Comment

Made a tailpiece from aluminum angle, simple modding of bridge with Fender bass saddles and extra drilling of holes for strings, added 2 more tuning machines to the peghead, and made a new nut from a bone blank. HERE 'TIS..... It was supposed to be a prototype, but it played great and sounded fantastic...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81657[/ATTACH]
                            Wow! That is really cool! Great job!

Comment

I heavily used the L500XL in two of my guitars so when it came to my Squier Precision Affinity I thought about Bill Lawrence pickups.
                              The original Squier is middy and lacks low end, I replaced it with the PB1 which early Black Label range was supposed to have that old school tone.
                              It's just in the target and the pickup gives this Precision sound.
                              The story doen't ends there as the jazz pup in bridge was that weak that I changed it for a Fender Precision DeLuxe humbucker that pairs nicely has both have almost same output and beefy tone.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	5806436
                              Http://someguitarist.blogspot.com
                              "Hurl your calumnies boldly, something is sure to stick." (Sir Francis Bacon - De Augmentis Scientiarum - 1623)

Comment

Working...
                              X