Favorite Bass Strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Bass Strings?

Do bass strings ever need to be changed?
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
    https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
      Those black Nylon wrapped strings don't seem to ever need to be changed...at least that's how a bass player I know feels about it.

Comment

If you're like me and actually break one, yes. Ben Shepard from Soundgarden never changes unless he breaks one. His tech even saved the old strings from before he switched to the Badass bridges.

Flea changes strings every day.
        Last edited by Johnny the Kid; 06-23-2017, 01:39 AM.
        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Depends on the string type and the tone you are after. On my basses with flats, I don't change those unless they break.

On my basses with round wounds I change my strings when they start to lose their brilliance and especially if the thicker strings are getting thuddy sounding. I like them to sound bright. I usually change them every 2 or 3 months for D'Addario strings. They last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't like that worn-in thing myself, and they are too expensive to change out regularly. Boiling is more trouble than it's worth.

The problem with older strings is that they develop grooves. I'll take a set off and there will be indents where I play the most. That isn't a good thing imho.

Comment

Originally posted by toowrongfoo View Post
              I don't like that worn-in thing myself, and they are too expensive to change out regularly. Boiling is more trouble than it's worth.

The problem with older strings is that they develop grooves. I'll take a set off and there will be indents where I play the most. That isn't a good thing imho.
              I used to boil my Rotosounds when I was a teenager. I didn't have money for new strings.

But besides the dents, the steel core stretches and you have metal fatigue. They never sound new after boiling, but they sound a bit brighter.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                I used to boil my Rotosounds when I was a teenager. I didn't have money for new strings. But besides the dents, the steel core stretches and you have metal fatigue. They never sound new after boiling, but they sound a bit brighter.
                I used to do that too, but always felt the results were kind of mixed...
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1
                '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Yeah, mixed is the best answer.

I'm ALL FOR saving strings and recycling strings, but maybe because I'm old and jaded, it just doesn't have the same effect (and you really do need to wait a long time till they have COMPLETELY dried to use them, patience I don't always have. )

Comment

What? Second time this has happened........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Anyways, what I was saying is that I've had mixed results with the EB cobalt flats. On one hand, they are shizzle. One the other, the "A" string seems to be contentious.

Weird, but anyways, they are TOO expensive to simply experiment. Proceed with caution

Comment

What? Second time this has happened........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Anyways, what I was saying is that I've had mixed results with the EB cobalt flats. On one hand, they are shizzle. One the other, the "A" string seems to be contentious.

Weird, but anyways, they are TOO expensive to simply experiment. Proceed with caution
                      That’s like with D’Addario Chromes. The D doesn’t sound like the rest of the set.

For flats my favorites are still LaBella 760FL set. Very balanced with a nice bright top end. The B on the 5 string set is ok, but a bit thumpy compared to the rest of the set.

Comment

Yeah, mixed is the best answer.

I'm ALL FOR saving strings and recycling strings, but maybe because I'm old and jaded, it just doesn't have the same effect (and you really do need to wait a long time till they have COMPLETELY dried to use them, patience I don't always have. )
                        I stopped boiling them mostly because the cost of strings has come down over the years, likely due to competition online. I remember paying close to $40 for RW Rotosounds, whereas now I get the strings I prefer (GHS Bass Boomers) for half that.
                        '69 Fender Mustang bass
                        '69 Gibson EB-1
                        '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                        '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                          I stopped boiling them mostly because the cost of strings has come down over the years, likely due to competition online. I remember paying close to $40 for RW Rotosounds, whereas now I get the strings I prefer (GHS Bass Boomers) for half that.
                          Definitely a fan of the prices coming down.

Comment

Pro Steels have that piano tone.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Great if that's what you want, not so great if you don't. I want a bit gnarly with a lot of bottom.
                              '69 Fender Mustang bass
                              '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Isn't steel the most gnarly?
                                The things that you wanted
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X