Favorite Bass Strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Bass Strings?

I used to do that too, but always felt the results were kind of mixed...
    Last edited by online10; 01-25-2018, 08:25 AM.
    best projector under 200 2018

Comment

SIT Rock Brights, 45-105
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Dean Markley Helix 45-105s. They've got a growl to them I just love.

Comment

Dean Markley Helix 45-105s. They've got a growl to them I just love.

Comment

D'Addario XL 5 string long scale 45-130, hold their tone for quite some time. Also had a good experience with some Warwick strings.
            Last edited by The Owl; 04-13-2019, 03:09 PM.
            Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

Ok late to the party...
              DR Hi Beams for the last 15 years, but I like also Ken Smith Rock Master (but the B is a bit thumpy).
              Ordered a set of DR Low Rider because I have strong fingers and they are supposed to be a bit stiffer, will see.
              On my Jazz 5 I recently put a set of DR Black Beauties, light gauge 40-120. Really like the feel of the light gauge, they sound good, but I'm having a hard time adapting to the black color (maybe because of the black bound neck), just feels strange.

Comment

I've been using D'addario NYXL 45-100 (or maybe 50-105? I can't remember now) on my Jazz Basses and D'addario Chromes on my P Bass
                Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

I use the following sets:

5x LaBella 760M heavy tension Deep Talkin' stainless flats, .052–.110. (two Ps, one J, one slab P, an L-2000, and a Stingray fretless). These are my "standard" bass strings.

1x Rotosound Steve Harris Signature Monel textured flats .050–.110 (Musicmaster Bass)

2x LaBella DT54 Drop Tune stainless rounds, tuned standard, .054–.111 (one Mustang Bass and one Jazz Bass)

1x LaBella RX-N5A-XL extra long scale nickel plated rounds, tuned BEAD, .065–.130 (extra long scale slab P)
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-21-2019, 02:15 AM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

DR Sunbeams 45-105
                    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

I don't have much experience with bass strings, but I do love my DR-40's. Want to try some DR Pure Blues after trying them in my Daisy Rock.

Comment

Does anyone like Elixir bass strings? I'd figure that they would last just about forever. . .
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          Does anyone like Elixir bass strings? I'd figure that they would last just about forever. . .
                          I used to use them, but the coated DRs sound more like typical bass strings. If you like the Elixir thing that's cool, but I was always one of those that liked the string life while tolerating the IMO mediocre tone.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                            I used to use them, but the coated DRs sound more like typical bass strings. If you like the Elixir thing that's cool, but I was always one of those that liked the string life while tolerating the IMO mediocre tone.
                            I've been using Elixir's exclusively on my guitars for more than ten years now, and think they sound great. Never tried their bass strings though.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              I've been using Elixir's exclusively on my guitars for more than ten years now, and think they sound great. Never tried their bass strings though.
                              I tried the NanoWebs for guitar probably 15 years ago and thought they sounded OK, though they did have a strange rather forward upper midrange. I didn't switch to them at the time mostly because they were hard to find and pretty expensive.

On bass I've used both PolyWebs and NanoWebs and the two sound and feel very different. The Polys have a very slick, plastic feel and a rather subdued but not dead sounding high end. When they get worn they start to look fuzzy as the coating begins to peel. Nanos OTOH almost feel sticky in comparison. Their tone is much closer to an uncoated string, though they also have the forward upper-mids like guitar NanoWebs. Of the two the Nanos last far longer; they eventually just go dead instead of shedding their coating everywhere.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I've never liked the poly Elixirs on guitar. The shredding thing is annoying, and they did sound weird. The nanos are awesome though. Sounds like it's similar with bass.

Comment

Working...
                                X