No announcement yet.

why is bass harder to fret than guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why is bass harder to fret than guitar?

Reminds me of stories I've heard about Victor Wootens basses.

Comment

It's because it is PHAT.
      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I see what you did there!

Comment

Victor Wooten has small hands and short fat fingers and plays incredible, I've been to many clinics and watching him up close is amazing what true rare talent.
          BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
          Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
          Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
          Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
          Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
          Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
          Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
          Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
          Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
          Gibson EBO

Comment

According to myth (or is it fact) his action is so low it's unplayable to the majority of people who have tried them.

In a way, that requires far more discipline than a higher action because there is no margin of error. I vacillate, sometimes I want scary low action and others I want it up where I can dig.

Comment

Thicker, wider neck, extending the pinky farther to wrap it over the top.

Try adopting more of a Classical hand technique, with the thumb in the middle of the back of the neck instead of wrapped over it.

IMO fretting should be effortless, so the lower-the-better. If the buzz gets to you, look into flatwounds (not tapewounds, though). I've been using standard roundwounds on bass forever, but "recently" found out Steve Harris' signature Rotosounds are actually flatwound, not roundwound. IMO he's got the right amount of clank and punch.
              One day, when I grow up, I'm going to actually get a set of those and see what's what.

Not sure what winding style Geddy Lee uses, though.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                Sounds like you are expecting to pick up a 20lb medicine ball and play basketball with it as easily as using a 20oz basketball.
                "Why does lying on jagged rocks hurt but a soft bed doesn't?" is how I read it. I mean, at some point the sad tragic reality of common sense has to just walk right up and kick you in the nuts.
                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                My Blog

Comment

But it's tough. How do I know? Well, I've been playing since forever, have a good understanding and know current gear.

Of all my basses, since way way way back, the easiest to fret? The most current. What is that? ..............

EB sterling "SUB" bass. And it's not just mine, the ones they have at my two GC's are similar. I dunno, something about the neck shape and such. I've spent more than 10K on basses in my life. This one I have is the BEST bar-none. It's a WTF moment, I can attest...........

Comment

Build quality and neck thickness definitely play a factor. The two easiest-playing basses I have are a Jackson C5P and a Bossa OB-5. My Jackson JZB-2 has some fight in it, but it's got a Jazz-style neck. While my Jackson Concert V Pro and Jackson Dave Ellefson CBX are nearly identical in construction, and do play well due to the neck profile, the C5P and Bossa are the two best. Ironically, they're also the most and least expensive basses I have.
                    They also have similar headstocks. Maybe that's it.

I did play a Fender 5-string some years ago that had both P and J pickups in it that played like butter, though. I was impressed.
                    I wish I would've kept the Pedulla Pentabuzz long enough to have it set up properly and the fretboard coating fixed. That thing was a beaut.
                    My Blog

Comment

But they are NOT all the same. The "sub" I mentioned is about the millionth bass I've owned (all the price ranges) and oddly, of them all, it's the easiest to play, ever. (For those that can't wrap their head around that, don't worry, I can't either )

My MIM jazz is closest past that. The neck allows for low action w/o unnecessary buzz.

Oddly, my first post here was about another MIM bass (I'm not a cheap ass, I swear) a p-bass which seems to have a mind of it's own. It changes daily. Not sure what to say.

But basses should NOT be hard to fret. Long voyage to get to that conclusion, end thread

Comment

Originally posted by Willy25 View Post
                        i have both instruments with low action and it requires different finger strength. or there is something wrong with my bass? do you guys play the same or differently when switching instrument? thanks
                        You just need to get used to it, the thicker strings, wider neck, and increased tension make it alot more straining to play than a 6 string.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by GuitarStv
                        "CUBBIES YOUVE DONE ITN"

reads 'Cubes you've done it in'

I thought this was going to be an awesome thread about hot cubicle sex.
                        Schecter S-1 Diamond Series (Stock)
                        Frankenstrat (Single Pickup Invader, single tone knob, tremolo)
                        Ernie Ball Regular 10's
                        Line 6 Spider IV 30w
                        Roland Microcube

Comment

I've played too many really great playing basses- I don't know if it is a matter of 'getting used to it'. The right scale, the best setup, and the right strings for you are all things that can make playing a bass effortless. Don't settle for a hard-to-play instrument.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I recently picked up Bass after playing guitar for decades, I had not realized how sloppy my left hand fingering had gotten. I have a new found respect for bass players because your left hand not only needs to be strong, but your technique needs to be perfect or you will fatigue quickly. It really made me focus again on solid technique.
                            The Guitar Hunter
                            https://guitarferret.com/

Comment

+1
                              Of course, if you play bass, and switch back to guitar, even the heavier gauge strings now feel light.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep practicing and soon it won't be an issue.
                                best projector under 200 2018

Comment

Working...
                                X