No announcement yet.

$100 bucks vs $10000 bucks for a bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100 bucks vs $10000 bucks for a bass?

I just saw this cruising youtube on the big screen, I've seen other vids of his but I thought this was cool.

Playing a $100, a $700 and a $10,000 (yeah, you read that right) bass guitar in one solo.Which one is your favourite? Leave a comment! :)In this video I am p...

However, I'm still going to drool over expensive basses

Re: $100 bucks vs $10000 bucks for a bass?

I think the more expensive basses sound better, but I also prefer J-basses... that P-bass just sounds sort of thin, which I guess you'd expect given the $100 cost. My ears like the $10k best, but it's not that much better as far as sound. I'm sure whoever buys one will understand that too.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

There are many things that go into pricing for a guitar (anything for that matter.) Price does not equal value.

Comment

I think past a certain price..(in the 1000s) you pay for:

name
        how ornate it is
        handmade?
        signature model?
        one of a kind?
        rare woods?
        unique design or technology?

There is a big difference between something that is $100 and $500-$1000.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just thought that that video was cool. If you are good player you can make anything sound good. Feel and all that are of course different.

The reason I like my jazz/p-bass's that were MIM is because they play the way I like.

I want a Fodera as much as anyone, never happen in my lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I think past a certain price..(in the 1000s) you pay for:

name
            how ornate it is
            handmade?
            signature model?
            one of a kind?
            rare woods?
            unique design or technology?

There is a big difference between something that is $100 and $500-$1000.
            Agreed, one other thing Lance Armstrong can make a "Huffy" ride good, but you work twice as hard!
            BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
            Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
            Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
            Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
            Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
            Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
            Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
            Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
            Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
            Gibson EBO

Comment

Come back and take another look at that 100 dollar guitar after its neck has been under tensions for a couple of years...

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05 View Post
                Agreed, one other thing Lance Armstrong can make a "Huffy" ride good
                As long as he's had his meds.
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1
                '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Blind test is not blind.

Cool move would have been just show his face and Bass 1, Bass 2, Bass 3, ask you which you like the best, then do the camera pull back.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ive never ever been tempted by an >$1k bass in a store. Theyre all so damn pathetic...

Most expensive decent bass ive seen was a used ESP J4 for $600ish iirc

BEST bass ive played was a customer's 4 digit "premium" ibanez bought used for like $299, mij but strangely not badged prestige...i wanna say sr1205 or 1305 maybe? Which sounded pretty meh until I installed Seymour Duncan Blackouts for Bass for the guy (scrapping onboard preamp, just "active value" pots and a blender iirc) .... and dayuuuum that thing brought the thunder

For best neck? Ibanez RD-707 i bought for $150 seems unbeatable. Nothing comes close.... passive pups are faorly decent, but might buy another one someday and try an SD actives upgrade. Chances are it'll become unbeatable.
                    Last edited by Adieu; 08-02-2018, 12:04 PM.
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

My most expensive bass was undoubtedly my Warmoth, which is top-of-the-line everything. I love it and am very glad I had it built.

But that being said, my MIM Fender Jazz and my MIJ '87 Squier Jazz (with a fretless MIJ Fender P bass neck) can go head-to-head with it every time, at a fraction of the cost.
                      '69 Fender Mustang bass
                      '69 Gibson EB-1
                      '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                      '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                      '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                      '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

I find bass tone comes more from the bass than the amp. My $3000 rrp G&L 5 string kills my $300 Hohner. It's incredibly versatile that negates the need to buy another bass. I'm sure if you upgrade the pickups and electronics on a less expensive bass you can get 80% of the way there but expensive basses feel great, have reliable hardware (very necessary for those higher string tensions) are comfortable and the versatility of a high end, dual hum, switchable wiring, switchable coil split, passive/active/active+treble boost bass can't be overstated. I can nail jazz, precision and even Spector/MM/Warwick type sounds.

The downside is the G&L is big, thick swamp ash and weighs a TON. Kills my back at shows. The Hohner with upgrades pickups and active electronics is passable and much, much lighter basswood with a smaller profile.
                        Last edited by El Dunco; 08-12-2018, 01:05 AM.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                          My most expensive bass was undoubtedly my Warmoth, which is top-of-the-line everything. I love it and am very glad I had it built.

But that being said, my MIM Fender Jazz and my MIJ '87 Squier Jazz (with a fretless MIJ Fender P bass neck) can go head-to-head with it every time, at a fraction of the cost.
                          I can agree. My Warmoth bass was a super cool project and I didn't go cheap on anything with it. Plays and sounds incredible.

But...I pickup a bass like an Epiphone Thunderbird and could have been just as pleased with a few upgrades. Not sure I would say "head-to-head" as the Stainless Steel frets on my Warmoth sure make bends and slides feel like a breeze. But I definitely agree overall.

Comment

Working...
                          X