banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 Piece vs 2 Piece Bass Neck - Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Piece vs 2 Piece Bass Neck - Thoughts?

So I am starting a project for a bass guitar build and wanted your thoughts on the neck. The body will be a Warmoth Iceman in Roasted Swamp Ash.

The neck will be Roasted Quartersawn Maple. I really love my 1 piece Roasted Quartersawn Maple necks on my guitars, but would it be better to go with a 2 piece neck for stability of a slab glued on the neck?

Re: 1 Piece vs 2 Piece Bass Neck - Thoughts?

Multi piece necks are generally more stable, and stiffer than one piece necks. I usually do 5 or 7 piece necks with maple and either purpleHeart or walnut, etc.

I also always put carbon fiber rods in the neck. They eliminate dead spots and add to the stability.

I see no advantage to one piece necks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, the guitars I've played and built with the best sustain and tone all had 1 piece necks (all Quartersawn Maple and Roasted.) The only 3+woods necks I've used were Ibanez Prestiges and they sounded dead and lacked the sustain and response of my Warmoth and Musikraft necks (and I completely understand they are different guitars, woods, styles, et.)

Correlation does not equal causation...but I still have really liked the 1 piece necks.

Only Musikraft offers a 1 piece bass neck–they have the highest quality out of the necks I've used in past projects. USACG has carbon fiber rods in all of their bass necks–which is a plus! Warmoth offers graphite rods at a $60 upcharge.

So that is the pull of the 1 piece to me. But others have different/alternative experiences. Something to consider here.

Comment

I make my own necks. I've never had a problem with an instrument sounding dead.

Here's one of my basses

Comment

My Tele style guitar has a three piece maple/purplrheart set neck.

Comment

What pickups are those in the guitar? Is that a BL250 in the middle?

Here are my builds that sounds the best:

Both had Roasted 1 piece Quartersawn Maple necks (no longer have the white one, loved it but once getting SS frets I couldn't go back to non-SS.)

Comment

Working...
            X