banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Electric Guitars Dying A Slow Death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Electric Guitars Dying A Slow Death?

Death? No... but sales are down.

If anything is dying a slow death, it's the music industry.

Re: Are Electric Guitars Dying A Slow Death?

I hate watching videos so prob. won't be commenting directly on the content... But who said music has to be "industrial?" I think it'll be interesting to see the function of music in society minus that industry infrastructure.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Pretty cool and well presented video. When i saw pat Metheny earlier this year, I was thinking "is jazz guitar at the end of it's cycle?" He's always been the young guy in the scene, and looked, well uh, gray.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Stuff seems to come and go in cycles. In 5 years, it could be a dif discussion. I'm really into the instrumental music bubble, so i don't think the scene will really decrease much more, as a result of what is popular

Comment

Technically we all are dying...

Comment

Serves the industry right for aligning itself with the lowest form of "music": edm/hip hop.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the 3rd thread on this topic.
            Any mods want to merge them?
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yeah, the industry's greed is to blame for capitalizing off an idiot public who are susceptible to being convinced they like hip hop/rap/whatever it is. But in the end the responsibility for hip hop's popularity still lies with the idiot population that would willingly listen to it; they are victims, but also part of the problem.
              I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

When Taylor Swift is selling more guitars than any other artist I would say, yeah its dead.

Comment

It has to do with the economics of it. Back in the day, Mozart and friends were employed by the Kings and the court, so that incentivized dank music. Now because media reaches billions of listeners, it's the average numbskull that's funding the music industry and so that incentivizes simple gimicky music.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

The focus on sales and production costs over for supporting and developing new artists making new music is a process that started in the early '80s, when lawyers and accountants took over the management at the top all the major labels. The results was to push all artists that their "production costs" have been paid for, perpetuating many artists which came out in the mid-'60s to late '70s. It's all about the ROI.

Also the contracts new musicians sign today, make'em pay themselves for all the costs the labels generate, when in the past the label paid their fair share. So today, after all astronomic costs of every single aspect of creating, promoting, recording and releasing the product are paid for, in many cases the artist that generated say, 5 million in sales, in many cases they've been left with less than $100,000 in their pockets when everything went well, to a million in debt, so the artist had to take another mortgage on their properties, just to be able to survive.

Greed and its consequential economic power over the people is what makes the world go round today, and even make many complot theories more than plausible. As it's not going to change anytime soon, better get used to it.

"You come into this world screaming, life sucks, then you die. That's going to be your story and it's nothing you can do to change it."
                    - anonimous quote

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                      Greed and its consequential economic power over the people is what makes the world go round today, and even make many complot theories more than plausible. As it's not going to change anytime soon, better get used to it.

"You come into this world screaming, life sucks, then you die. That's going to be your story and it's nothing you can do to change it."
                      - anonimous quote
                      I have to agree with that unfortunately... The world seems to get worse every day... I don't want to sound to depressed though but to say it in a Metallica way: "It's sad, but true!".
                      "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

I don't know why people are noticing this now. Teens have no idea who Black Sabbath, the Beatles or Led Zeppelin are. Their parents aren't taking them to see live music. Guitar is like a recorder to them- something archaic that they can't relate to. We have no true guitar heroes making iconic music.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is electric guitar dying?

Yes. The industry is down 33% over the last decade.

Why isn't rock popular anymore?

Because Soundscan showed that people actually listen to Country and Hip Hop/R&B, not the rock that was being forced on them by Record Labels/Radio stations through quasi-payola.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm sick of "rock" with handclaps and whistles, or songs that sound like they were composed to be in a pad commercial.

Comment

My oldest guitar still works just fine...so no...I think guitars are doing great.

Comment

Working...
                              X