Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBX Tone Pot Wiring

Hey Good Folks,

Been experimenting lately with all kinds of tone pots, different brands and values, push pulls etc..

Fitted a Fender TBX tone pot yesterday, as on paper it sounded like a great solution. A 250K pot, no load and 1M pot all in one with various ways to wire it.
    I didn't use the stock wiring plan as it was designed for use in an active system, but instead used the 'TBX passive mod' on PremierGuitar by Doc, using a 220K resistor to bridge the bump between pots, but i don't like that either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tbx_doc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	5844760

The 220K resistor comes into play at no load, which is the best setting for me, so I'm looking for the most efficient way to wire this thing up with the fewest wires and no resistors.
    Obviously I could change the resistor for a plain wire jumper and that would work, but is there a better way.?
    Through all my experimentation, i figure a 500K no load pot would be the best for me but this thing was expensive and may give me something more if wired correctly. Just gotta make it go fully no load at the indent position.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...rol_Mod_Part_2

Cheers guys
    Last edited by de_dUKe; 07-02-2017, 07:42 AM.

Re: TBX Tone Pot Wiring

I like 'em wired up Fender style according to the diagram that comes with the package.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Hey thanks for the suggestion ICTGoober..

Here is the Fender diagram..

Name:	TBX.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	5800881

From reading about the TBX tone pot, I gathered it was a designed around the active Mid Boost circuit and the 82K resistor is 'tone-sucking' in a passive system, hence me not following the Fender diagram.
      Though the 220K 'passive mod' definately sucks tone from the guitar too.

Is the 82K resistor necessary and how does it effect the no-load tone.?

Also would the TBX be fully-functional with just the one jumper between lugs 2 and 3 of each pot, with the capacitor taking it to ground...?
      Last edited by de_dUKe; 07-02-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I found another mod online a while back, and in theory it does what a TBX should. I say "in theory" because I have never tried it and it might still not change smoothly between the two pots.

Name:	tbx_hi_low_mod.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	5800886

As far as I can tell, this mod makes it so that the TBX uses a cap as a high pass fliter from 10 to 5, goes completely no load at 5, and acts as a low pass filter from 5 to 0. It also has the bonus of not having a resistor, like you wanted. But I'm not sure that's entirely desireable, giving that the resistor eases the transition between the 250k, no load, and then 1meg.

Edit: I might also consider changing some values on the mod, the .047 cap cuts treble and the .0022 cuts bass.
        Last edited by Chistopher; 07-02-2017, 03:57 PM.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

ive pulled the tbx from every guitar ive had it in and replaced it with a conventional style tone control and im much happier for it

Comment

The problem with the TBX isn't the hardware itself, it's the way the factory has you wire it. The resistor is in the circuit the whole time, which may not be that noticeable in an active system, but in a passive system it is a major tone sucker. With the mod I posted above, it is basically the same as a tone control, it just switches between a high to a low pass filter.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

So i just ripped the 220K resistor out of the circuit, leaving only the one jumper and the capacitor...

..And it sounds great..)

No need for that thing to be in there at all..
              I played around for hours, turning the dial frequently and only got one small 'pop' and one tiny 'crackle' the whole time, so well worth it to have the full tone coming through the pot than have a restricted sound but be 'pop' free..
              I don't gig with this guitar so its no-brainer to keep the full tone..

Sounds like my old guitar again..

I also like the 'hi-fi- sound of the pot on the 1M scale too.. Adds some subtle clarity which can only be a good thing, unless you're after a completely vintage feel then maybe not for you..

Maybe the next time I have the guitar open I will try a smaller capacitor and remove even more of the bass..

Cheers guys..
              Last edited by de_dUKe; 07-04-2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Tone suck..... is that a technical term?
                Anyone have the accepted dictionary definition of TONE SUCK?

Because if you can't define it in words that EVERYONE already knows, then I say you're full of ****.

Comment

ICTGoober...I'm just going to assume that your post was a joke that went wrong..

It was actually the illustrious Dirk Wacker from Premier Guitar that coined the phrase and its in the link on the original post if you'd like to read it..
                  That's the only reason I used this phrase myself.. ..And I think Christopher copied and pasted his post..

There is so much material here for a witty come back, but I think I'll just bow out gracefully..

But you have definitely lowered the TONE of this thread..
                  Last edited by de_dUKe; 07-04-2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

If you want to know the technical definiton of tone suck, it's when you lose high end. And that Dirk Wacker fella is interesting, he clearly knows his stuff when it comes to electrical components on guitars, but then he posts the strangest things every now and then, like ground loops and different materials in capacitors affecting tone.

Comment

If you want to know the technical definiton of tone suck, it's when you lose high end.
                      I don't know from Dirk Wacker, but I know what losing high end means. In fact, I'd guess WE ALL KNOW what losing high ends means. Which illustrates my point. Instead of inventing some clever-ass, but meaningless phrase - use the English language, and we'll all understand WTH you're talking about, and not get pissy.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

I don't know from Dirk Wacker, but I know what losing high end means. In fact, I'd guess WE ALL KNOW what losing high ends means. Which illustrates my point. Instead of inventing some clever-ass, but meaningless phrase - use the English language, and we'll all understand WTH you're talking about, and not get pissy.
                        I dont know you....but you seem like you are a real douchbag. When he said "tone suck" i am sure you knew exactly what he meant right? correct? So stfu and quit being a tool. Everyone knows exactly what he means

Comment

All these "teachers" trying to instruct me, but they forgot that class was not in session.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                            "forgot that class was not in session.
                            Oh no worries, We all see you have no class

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

ive pulled the tbx from every guitar ive had it in and replaced it with a conventional style tone control and im much happier for it
                              I bought one quite some time ago, just to see what it's all about, and to better understand it to help people wire it up. I think I may just leave it in the bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X