Rockman Tone in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

YouTube user Giulio Grandi Rockhead did a really enjoyable improvisation with his Rockman Sustainor:

Comment

Taylor Rhodes has made a holiday video for 2019. "Have Yourself a Hair Metal Christmas":

The guitar is an Agile AL-3200MCC with DiMarzio Transition pickups, played through a 1984 Rockman X100 and 1988 Rockman Sustainor 200 + Peavey EQ-215 + 1989 Rockman Stereo Chorus.

Comment

Oh goody! Back in time for Christmas. Rockman would make a great stocking stuffer!!!!
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

+1
          I'd be happy to find one in my stocking.

Comment

I certainly didn't intent for this thread to make it into a second decade when I started it! It only goes to show that there are still some enthusiasts out there, and if they can find a home here at SDUGF I for one think we are all the better off for it.

I still haven't got myself a Rockman rig OR a replacement for it, but I haven't written it off. Finding one under the Christmas tree would certainly be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
              I still haven't got myself a Rockman rig OR a replacement for it, but I haven't written it off.
              Well, whatta ya waitin' for, Christmas?

Comment

I’d rock Rockman gear all day long, but not as long as it costs Dumble prices (see the $10,000 Reverb listing, that was marked down to get to $10,000). There’s a number of other affordable reasonable routes to simulate or approximate that sound satisfactorily for me.

Comment

I'm seeing prices on Reverb for the "original" Rockmans (not the "guitar ace" stuff from later) ~$299 - $399

the X100s and the like, to be precise

Comment

They make for a great stocking stuffer...

Comment

I think the audio track for this video may have been previously released with a past video. The new video is a tad darker, but the dancing and guitar playing are fantastic:

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
                        I think the audio track for this video may have been previously released with a past video. The new video is a tad darker, but the dancing and guitar playing are fantastic:

It is the thread that never dies.
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

My recent reply to a eBay/Reverb reseller, who is needlessly modifying Rockman modules. You can spot the modified units by their chrome power on/off button, stainless steel faceplate screws, and stainless steel fasteners. Unless a Rockman module was constructed with faulty capacitors, subjected to an unusually high level of heat, or short-circuited, it is unlikely that they would need to be replaced. Replacing the 2 x PSU electrolytic capacitors as preventative maintenance, okay. I've worked on dozens of these units, and I've never encountered a single unit that needed to be "refurbished".

The metal on the underside of the covers is not a ground... it is EM shielding. The shielding + front/rear panels create a bond, then to ground. The early Sustainor uses a shielded ribbon cable that arches upward, where is makes contact with the cover shielding, then to ground. Both versions will lose bond continuity over time. Noise, along with intermittent popping are the general symptoms. To solve this issue:

Sustainor Model 200, one of two options exists:
                          Option #1.
                          1. Clean front/rear panel edges.
                          2. Fold a piece aluminum foil over the top edge of the front and rear panels, and secure the housing covers. Make sure to use only enough foil to make contact between the cover shielding, and the faceplate. You do not want the foil to protrude into the unit, where it can short the circuitry.
                          3. Clean all inputs using Deoxit cleaner.

Option #2.
                          1. Clean front/rear panel edges.
                          2. Re-coat the cover channels with conductive spray. Once dry, secure the housing covers.
                          3. Clean all inputs using Deoxit cleaner.

Sustainor Model 100:
                          1. Clean the surface of the ribbon cable shielding + cover shielding w/90% alcohol only.
                          2. Pull the ribbon cable upward, so that it makes contact with the cover shielding.
                          3. Ensure continuity front and rear panels. You can also add a layer of aluminum foil over the front/rear faceplates edges, if needed. Make sure to use only enough foil to make contact between the cover shielding, and the faceplate. You do not want the foil to protrude into the unit, where it can short the circuitry.
                          4. Clean all inputs using Deoxit cleaner.

Note: This shielding should NEVER be replaced with a single conductor. Yes, I have seen this done.
                          Last edited by 67Mopar; 02-25-2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

i had the first version, later the second , then the 2 pieces that made a rack which was stolen from me about 25 yrs ago ,

Comment

YouTube user USTTRM puts a Rockman Soloist through its paces:

Comment

I've been a little slow to pick up on this, but the NAMM TECnology Hall of Fame inducted Scholz Research & Development for 2020. It's a long coming recognition for the SR&D alumni efforts from many years ago. Congratulations to you all:

https://www.tecawards.org/tecnology-hall-of-fame

Click image for larger version

Name:	TEC20_TECnology_HOF_Scholz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	5818260

Comment

Working...
                                X