Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    There are a lot of tones that today you think of as "cliche" that were the cat's meow when they first occurred.
    I thought our band sounded awesome when we got one of the first Spyders and used the Recto and Insane settings. The recordings actually sound awesomely terrible.

Back then you could buy JCM900s for a song, I wish he had gotten one of those instead...
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You can EQ out the "rockman" out of the Rockman... pre and post EQing.

For example, Def Leppard's Hysteria was almost 100% Rockman on guitars:

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview...pards-hysteria

Originally posted by Phil Collen
      Pretty much. I used a small Gallien-Krueger amp on the demo for “Love Bites,” which made it on to the record, and also on a bit of “Animal”—that little feedback thing in the intro is me leaning hard on the Krueger. But otherwise the sound is all Rockman. And the reason for that was there were so many layers of tracks, and the sound was so huge that if you had had a massive Marshall sound it wouldn’t have fit sonically. The guitars would have smothered the vocals and drums. They really had to fit in a specific slot. Plus, Steve and I weren’t playing straight power chords; we were doing all these inversions and partials and different things that required definition. That would have been lost with a big, overdriven-amp sound.

Comment

The guitar tone on Hysteria is probably one of my least favorites of theirs.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

That is so far from Pantera and Slayer or any 90's tone it is comical. Outside of 80's hairband and arena tones, the Rockman is pretty useless.

Comment

The point being that the Rockman isn't just a one-trick pony if you know how to work it.

Hysteria doesn't sound like a Rockman at all. (I could care less about the album or tone itself; that's the album that I stopped listening to Def Leppard.)

I'll bet you could get Pantera tone out of one... Pantera tone being very SS-ish and midrangey. Slayer? Who cares about faux-satan-worshiper tone.

EQ is everything.
            Last edited by LLL; 07-04-2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
              Wow @ the first video! Way to end the discussion before it has even begun, and with grace and style to boot! Awesome!
              Thanks. It took a lot of research, work and several sets of eardrums...

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Scholz would not allow the "Boston" tone to be dialled out of the Rockman line of gear even though guitar tones had drastically changed in the 90's.
                That's odd - SR&D started in the 80s. Majority of the product line was designed in the 80's as well.

All of my units (Sustainor, Distortion Generator, Stereo Chorus, Stereo Echo, MIDI Octopus) are copyright mid-80s.

Tom sold SR&D to Dunlop in '95. You sure you got the right decade?
                Last edited by LLL; 07-04-2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I have no problem seeing why Rockman faded away in the 90s. It is a unique tone, and it isn't going to be for everybody. Whilst throwing people's jobs away probably shouldn't be considered commendable, I have to admire Scholz a little bit for sticking to his artistic vision instead of becoming a business man. Not that it matters for anybody interested in the Rockman in 2017, besides that you can't get them any more. Then again, those tones are all over the 80s, and to be fair I think there is a bit of variation between artists: Def Leppard, WASP, Judas Priest, Joe Satriani, ZZ Top, and those are just on top of my head. And, of course, the clean tones on the Dokken records.

Speaking of Slayer and Pantera: I cannot verify this, but according to Wikipedia a Rockman was actually used for Megadeth's Peace Sells record. If that is true (I have to listen to those tones again) it could at least go into thrash territory.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    I thought our band sounded awesome when we got one of the first Spyders and used the Recto and Insane settings. The recordings actually sound awesomely terrible.

Back then you could buy JCM900s for a song, I wish he had gotten one of those instead...
                    I am sure some of the early Pods must have been used on albums that are considered iconic in the right circles, though.

Comment

That's odd - SR&D started in the 80s. Majority of the product line was designed in the 80's as well.

All of my units (Sustainor, Distortion Generator, Stereo Chorus, Stereo Echo, MIDI Octopus) are copyright mid-80s.

Tom sold SR&D to Dunlop in '95. You sure you got the right decade?
                      Like I said the company could not keep up in the 90's halfway through the decade he sold the company. I do have the ex- executive's cell number if you would like to call him. Of course, you know more about the company from going to Wikipedia than a guy that worked at the company. I am sure he would love to bask in your knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        Of course, you know more about the company from going to Wikipedia than a guy that worked at the company. I am sure he would love to bask in your knowledge.
                        That was never inferred. Presumptuous much?

Furthermore, the name-dropping to compensate doesn't impress.
                        Last edited by LLL; 07-04-2017, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I am sure some of the early Pods must have been used on albums that are considered iconic in the right circles, though.
                          Now there's an interesting thought: what hit albums featured the early Pods...?

Comment

Now there's an interesting thought: what hit albums featured the early Pods...?
                            Early PODs? I bet not too many big ones. Amp Farm? A ton. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the "recto" sounds of the copycat post-grunge bands were Amp Farm.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Furthermore, the name-dropping to compensate doesn't impress.
                              I don't remember dropping a name. Not sure how good your reading comprehension is. All I did was reference where I got the information from. If I got the information from Wikipedia, I would have written: "I read on Wikipedia...". I just happened to work with someone that was there at the time. I thought it would be nice to share some first-hand information about the history of the company. If it is not of interest to you or you find better information on Wikipedia, more power to you.
                              Last edited by Securb; 07-04-2017, 05:18 PM.

Comment

That's pretty much the album I think of when I think of a rockman. None of the clean parts were strummed on that album, Mutt Lange had them play each note individually.

Comment

Working...
                                X