Rockman Tone in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

What part of something you wrote don't you u8nderstand? I know originality and creativity is not your thing so if you want to hit us off with an I-IV-V that is fine. Or a two-chord vamp. Can you figure out two chords that go together? You can use cowboy chords if you want. We are waiting Loretta.

Comment

The Rockman brand name was inaugurated with the first of the headphone amplifiers. The original Rockman was marketed as a headphone amplifier but allowed the guitarist to plug directly into the mixer on the stage and in the studio. This effectively made the Rockman a DI unit for lots of guitarists.

The Rockmodules are a line of professional quality, rack mount guitar effects, introduced in 1986. There are roughly three categories of Rockmodules, the amplifier simulators, the sound processors and the control devices.

The amplifier simulators include the Sustainor and Distortion Generator. They are the basic building blocks for creating a Rockman system. Systems built from the Sustainor or Distortion Generator are primarily intended for direct connection to a full range PA system. They can be thought of as early analog modeling pre-amps. It was pretty cutting edge for the time, possibly too early for its time.

A lot more was manufactured under the Rockman name over the years. Check out rockman.fr:

http://www.rockman.fr/

It does a pretty good job of telling the Rockman story. The "Scholz Research & Development, Inc." article in Wikipedia also describes the Rockman gear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholz...elopment,_Inc.

Comment

I miss my Rockman X100. It's still floating around England maybe, with my old V220.
        But I figure that now, I have stuff that can do that sound and plenty of others.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          What part of something you wrote don't you u8nderstand? I know originality and creativity is not your thing so if you want to hit us off with an I-IV-V that is fine. Or a two-chord vamp. Can you figure out two chords that go together? You can use cowboy chords if you want. We are waiting Loretta.
          What part of "I wrote this solo = something I wrote" don't you understand? Nice try with the intellectually dishonest banter.

You want root/4/5?

Here ya go (yes, I wrote [read:winged] the entire thing, and yes, I had posted this a year or two ago):

Hate to burst your bubble, but your constant, specious argument of:

- a guitarist is only good if they only do originals
          - a guitarist is only good if they play in a bar band
          - your musical resume dwarfs others (yeah, remember? )

...is a load of bunk. It's merely a paper-thin defense you like to hide behind.

And ya never answered my question: you gonna join us for the next SD collab? C'mon and give up the goods...
          Last edited by LLL; 08-04-2018, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
            The Rockman brand name was inaugurated with the first of the headphone amplifiers. The original Rockman was marketed as a headphone amplifier but allowed the guitarist to plug directly into the mixer on the stage and in the studio. This effectively made the Rockman a DI unit for lots of guitarists.

The Rockmodules are a line of professional quality, rack mount guitar effects, introduced in 1986. There are roughly three categories of Rockmodules, the amplifier simulators, the sound processors and the control devices.

The amplifier simulators include the Sustainor and Distortion Generator. They are the basic building blocks for creating a Rockman system. Systems built from the Sustainor or Distortion Generator are primarily intended for direct connection to a full range PA system. They can be thought of as early analog modeling pre-amps. It was pretty cutting edge for the time, possibly too early for its time.

A lot more was manufactured under the Rockman name over the years. Check out rockman.fr:

It does a pretty good job of telling the Rockman story. The "Scholz Research & Development, Inc." article in Wikipedia also describes the Rockman gear:

What he said. RBC is very knowledgable on the subject, and http://www.rockman.fr/ is an excellent repository of Rockman info.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              What part of "I wrote this solo = something I wrote" don't you understand? Nice try with the intellectually dishonest banter. [emoji38]

You want root/4/5?

Here ya go (yes, I wrote [read:winged] the entire thing, and yes, I had posted this a year or two ago):

Hate to burst your bubble, but your constant, specious argument of:

- a guitarist is only good if they only do originals
              - a guitarist is only good if they play in a bar band
              - your musical resume dwarfs others (yeah, remember? [emoji38] )

...is a load of bunk. It's merely a paper-thin defense you like to hide behind.

And ya never answered my question: you gonna join us for the next SD collab? C'mon and give up the goods...
              I don't know about Securb, but I'm up!
              Do I wait for a drum/ rythm track?
              I can play bass, so a drum track would be enough.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

So basically its a Solid State unit that plugs into PAs or recording gear??

What about it makes it sound specifically different vs. other solid state gear?
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I post plenty of clips on the forum. I have given up the goods. As someone pointed out once you have even "liked" my clips.

I have actual "work" to finish when I am done I might post it, I may not. This is actually something new to my musical resume and believe it or not it is a cover.

What part of "I wrote this solo = something I wrote" don't you understand? Nice try with the intellectually dishonest banter.

You want root/4/5?

:
                  A I-IV-V it figures, I said that as a joke. Thanks for answering my question, you are what I thought you are. Unable to string together 3 chords of your own design. You lack originality and that is ok if you are happy doing what you are doing in your bedroom. Can we get the two-chord vamp now? Hint: All you have to do is take the V off the I-IV-V. There I got you going now go!
                  Last edited by Securb; 08-05-2018, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

The Rockman gear stated to be mass produced in 1982. It was very early out of the gate and was a real leader in that respect. As for the sound, the heavy use of compression and the signature mid-range EQ makes for a really distinctive sound. I'm not the best one to say, but it's said that it takes some effort to tame the "Boston/Rockman" sound that they produce. The SR&D headphone amp effects also added chorus and echo to the sound, so that is a key feature of the "Rockman" sound that people think about. Maybe some others can jump in and talk more about the EQ.

Comment

I just posted the link to my clip in that thread. But since you insist on ignoring it, here's a direct, embedded link:

The solo is 100% my creation.

Like I said, we're doing another... you in?
                      Sounds great LLL! You should write a bass melody for it.

Comment

The Rockman gear stated to be mass produced in 1982. It was very early out of the gate and was a real leader in that respect. As for the sound, the heavy use of compression and the signature mid-range EQ makes for a really distinctive sound. I'm not the best one to say, but it's said that it takes some effort to tame the "Boston/Rockman" sound that they produce. The SR&D headphone amp effects also added chorus and echo to the sound, so that is a key feature of the "Rockman" sound that people think about. Maybe some others can jump in and talk more about the EQ.
                        Another habit of the Rockman crowd is the heavy use of both pre and post distortion EQ. That allows the guitar player to setup the overdrive levels frequency by frequency to suit their tastes using the pre distortion EQ. Then the post distortion EQ is used to fine tune the overall sound. The Sustainor facilitates this by providing a pre-distortion effects loop. You just add an EQ downstream of the Sustainor for the post distortion EQ.
                        Last edited by rbc; 08-05-2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

The point of Rockman wasn’t to sound different. At the time it was one of the earliest attempts to put a completely produced Marshall sound in a small box that didn’t break your back or budget.

At the time the Rockman came out, one of the great innovations was the Sony Walkman, where you could take all your music with you and listen on lightweight headphones anywhere you wanted to go. The Rockman was the instrument amp version of a Walkman.

But now, literally thousands of SS gear can get in that same sound territory. Rockman was just was one of the first. Rockman does have its own recognizable signature to the sound because Scholz biased the sound to the midrangy, cocked-wah type of tone he felt mixed better with a full band, but lots of gear can make that sound.

Comment

The Rockman is great for guitars that sound bad, and bad for guitars that sound good.

Comment

I post plenty of clips on the forum. I have given up the goods. As someone pointed out once you have even "liked" my clips.
                              I know you have posted clips. You need to join us on our SD soloing collaboration and regale us with your "originality".

A I-IV-V it figures, I said that as a joke. Thanks for answering my question, you are what I thought you are. Unable to string together 3 chords of your own design. You lack originality and that is ok if you are happy doing what you are doing in your bedroom.
                              LOL - I've heard your "originals".

The amount of intellectual dishonesty and obfuscation coming from you is incredible.

You always talk a big game and hide behind your "But I'm original!!!" like it's some viable excuse... but your clips (and/or lack thereof) tell the truth.

Hey, when you're doing your "Open Mic Night" at some Cappuccino place with your "originals"... do you proudly squawk to everyone there over the mic about how the chord progression you're playing is solely your own and nobody else has ever played before? You should trademark that ****.

Here's a tip: Practice, practice practice. Because being "original" (or "original" in your own mind) doesn't add up to a hill of beans if it sounds like crap.
                              Last edited by LLL; 08-05-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Another habit of the Rockman crowd is the heavy use of both pre and post distortion EQ.
                                This concept works great with a lot of different rigs as well.

Typically, the pre EQ is set to a "frown face" midrange hump so the guitar can sing (the guitar is a midrange instrument)... then post EQ, it is shaped further with a "smilie face" scooped mids type of setting.
                                Last edited by LLL; 08-06-2018, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X