• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

So, how about that Rockman/Boston tone?

Comment

Scholz tone secrets...

So the theory goes from my various researching online (and I've tested this theory and IMO it's accurate) that on the first 2 Boston albums (let's just call it the "classic Marshall amp Boston tone"), after the amp & attenuator & speaker cab, Tom ran the mic'd and/or line out through a "narrow band EQ"... e.g. a Crybaby Wah (my pref) or MXR 6-Band (keep in mind he had one in front of the amp too)... then to the board.

"I still have the ’70s Marshall head I’ve used from the beginning—which, as always, I run with equalization, gain, and compression ahead of the amp, and an [SR&D] Power Soak after the amp and before the speaker cabinet. I run miked signal from the speaker into an EQ with narrow bands that let me select the frequencies I want to emphasize. That’s the sort of sound I designed into the Rockman stuff, which makes up the second of my three studio rigs."
      The above is a Tom quote, but I've also read from others that it was a Crybaby wah as the "narrow band EQ"...

For the vid I did on the 1st page, I placed an MXR 6-Band in front of the amp, and a virtual line out to a Crybaby at the tail end of the signal...

Comment

Interesting! I suppose that this is the kind of thing that would be a lot easier to emulate in a real-life context today than ever before, since cab simulators and similar gadgets have become common: would one get in the ballpark by running a wah (or some substitute) after a cab emulator into an FRFR speaker? This, in general, is a concept that interests me, since it is now possible to simulate ways to put effects after the cabinet – that is, where they would have been put on most recordings from the last 30-odd years!

Comment

• Rockman Tone in 2017

Michael Sweet from Stryper does something similar. Instead of using a crybaby, he has a piece of outboard gear (of course I can’t remember what it is at the moment) which lets you set a certain amount of cocked wah tone.
          I believe he shows/talks about it here.
          Im not sure how he achieved his 80’s tone...maybe it was a Rockman, IDK. But this is how he does it now.

Last edited by Gtrjunior; 08-06-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Was it, perchance, a Furman parametric equalizer? I know that Stryper were supposed to use those to great effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
              Interesting! I suppose that this is the kind of thing that would be a lot easier to emulate in a real-life context today than ever before, since cab simulators and similar gadgets have become common: would one get in the ballpark by running a wah (or some substitute) after a cab emulator into an FRFR speaker? This, in general, is a concept that interests me, since it is now possible to simulate ways to put effects after the cabinet – that is, where they would have been put on most recordings from the last 30-odd years!
              Well, a month ago I picked up a Fulltone WahFull (see thread link); this could definitely fit the bill and be fully adjustable in a friendly user-interface way:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...lltone-WahFull

Comment

I found the best Boston tone using an MXR distortion -> MXR EQ -> Roland RE-3O1 -> Marshall Super Lead 1OO.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  Michael Sweet from Stryper does something similar. Instead of using a crybaby, he has a piece of outboard gear (of course I can’t remember what it is at the moment) which lets you set a certain amount of cocked wah tone.
                  I believe he shows/talks about it here.
                  Im not sure how he achieved his 80’s tone...maybe it was a Rickman, IDK. But this is how he does it now.

https://youtu.be/5imut6suAj4
                  I notice his virtual wah freq is set to 707Hz... this is part of the crucial midrange (roughly 600-800Hz) that provides clarity (not brightness), allows easy pinch harmonics, etc... but too much and you get a honking duck.

Comment

I have heard Boston and think they sound great. I really like the Third Stage, personally.

This thread makes me want to go on eBay and buy one. What would you guys recommend?

Comment

A X100 headphone amp is probably the best start overall. It was produced 1984 to 1994. The original Rockman, made from 1982 to 1984 is pretty good too, if you can get one in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
                        A X100 headphone amp is probably the best start overall. It was produced 1984 to 1994. The original Rockman, made from 1982 to 1984 is pretty good too, if you can get one in good shape.
                        If you want to go straight to rack mount gear, the Sustainor is probably the best. It's basically a guitar stack in a box including a cabinet simulation. If you already have stomp boxes or digital effects, they would work as well with a Sustainor as anything else.

Comment

• Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by gtrgrl View Post
                          I have heard Boston and think they sound great. I really like the Third Stage, personally.

This thread makes me want to go on eBay and buy one. What would you guys recommend?
                          I’d recommend a Zoom MS50G. Much cheaper, comes with a warranty, and does every other piece of gear you could want, after you get tired of the Rockman wah tone, several weeks from now. It’s a great sound, but there’s only so much music you can make with it.
                          Last edited by beaubrummels; 08-06-2018, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            It’s a great sound, but there’s only so much music you can make with it.
                            The Rockman headphone amps kind of lock you into the sound, but the Rockmodules are very flexible. You can even use the Sustainor pre-distortion effects loop to bypass the Sustainor's built-in compressor and gate.
                            Last edited by rbc; 08-07-2018, 02:13 AM.

Comment

If one reads this whole thread, I think one of the things that becomes obvious is that the Rockman gear is so much more than Boston…

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                                If one reads this whole thread, I think one of the things that becomes obvious is that the Rockman gear is so much more than Boston…
                                Agreed...I had absolutely no idea how widespread it’s use was thought the 80’s.

Comment

Working...
                                X