Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    You can EQ out the "rockman" out of the Rockman... pre and post EQing.

For example, Def Leppard's Hysteria was almost 100% Rockman on guitars:

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview...pards-hysteria
    That's pretty much the album I think of when I think of a rockman. None of the clean parts were strummed on that album, Mutt Lange had them play each note individually.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
      I think I had a Rockman for a few days before modding it...haha that tunnelvision sound buggged me!
      Tut-tut, your eighties credentials are declining by the day! Oh well, at least you had one!

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Voltage View Post
        That's pretty much the album I think of when I think of a rockman.
        Then you're one of a very few.

Third Stage by Boston... now that sounds unquestionably like Rockman gear.

BTW, I see you just joined today.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
          Tut-tut, your eighties credentials are declining by the day! Oh well, at least you had one!
          Yeah, ain't that a shame...

Comment

Billy Gibbons used Rockman, right? What album(s)?

(hell, didn't everybody use it at some time?)

..then again, Billy is notorious for laying the BBQ BS on thick.

Satriani comes to mind too for Rockman

Comment

I believe the Rev was using it during this period:

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                I cannot verify this, but according to Wikipedia a Rockman was actually used for Megadeth's Peace Sells record. If that is true (I have to listen to those tones again) it could at least go into thrash territory.
                Chris used a Rockman into a JCM800 while Dave plugged straight in. Based on how thick their tone was, I'd wager both heads were loaded with 6550s. If you listen to The Conjuring it's pretty obvious who is playing which part. Dave's tone is pretty basic JCM800, while the ratty, overly saturated sound is Chris.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Flying In A Blue Dream? No kiddin.

Comment

Haha well I survived them
                    Now plug your curls into a friggin MIDI port
                    Gehehe.

Comment

They are long gone, I am afraid: as much fun as the whole Jake E. Lee thing was, it was uncongenial to musicology. Basically I sold out, and for what? (That being said, once I get home for Christmas and can set up my new rig I will have more MIDI ports than ever in it!)

Comment

Haha ok!
                        And play with little blue and black boxes...going eeberfeneeber diooouurr diiiddiiel diiiddiel (optional sweep sounds)
                        In spandex so that when singing, it only sounds like....27734849409404 octaves high

After 29739863426512432+0767+207965+072072587254+7659627 +22+67872872+2+586 notes later crammed into about a 5 seconds break...then the MIDI controller crashes.....
                        And the chorus gives up the ghost.....

I liked the 80's....but the hair thing never really got to me....
                        When I think about it, the alternative and more creative pop stuff was more to my likings.
                        I do have an HSH Ibanez, while it needs a new neck, the dead spots on the middle of the neck just will not be banished....odd never had a guitar doing that to me before.

Maybe it needs a Rockman

Comment

LLL thanks for making my point. All of your examples were recorded in the 80's. By the 90's people were pushing away from that tone. Including some of the people in your examples.

Don't get me wrong I am one of the biggest Boston fans. The tone works for them and Tom Scholz. Keep in mind when Boston releases new material it is for a nostalgic crowd that is hungry for more AOR classic rock. The Boston fans want to hear that sound. However, Boston fans are not even buying Boston albums these days.

If there were an application for the gear or demand for a "Rockman" tone, Dunlop would surely be putting out reissue SR&D gear or at least a "Boston" stomp. At this stage of the game, any engineer or producer would laugh a guitarist out of the studio if they walked in with a Rockman Guitar Ace in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            The point being that the Rockman isn't just a one-trick pony if you know how to work it.

Hysteria doesn't sound like a Rockman at all. (I could care less about the album or tone itself; that's the album that I stopped listening to Def Leppard.)

I'll bet you could get Pantera tone out of one... Pantera tone being very SS-ish and midrangey. Slayer? Who cares about faux-satan-worshiper tone.

EQ is everything.
                            Pantera is anything but midrangey. Dimebag's sound was annoyingly mid scooped, and it inspired a bunch of meathead wannabes to sound terrible with all the gain and 10-0-10 EQ settings. I'd actually prefer listening to a Rockman sound, because it wouldn't give me a headache as easily, but I still wouldn't like it.

Comment

I have to say, that sound gets to me after about 5 minutes. I can't say it is a sound I would ever actively seek.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                                Pantera is anything but midrangey. Dimebag's sound was annoyingly mid scooped
                                You are absolutlly correct. Dime kept the mids on his amp at around 2 and everything else was cranked. He also used an MRX 6 band EQ set up the same way. There was so much other incorrect information in this thread I just kept scrolling when I saw that. Trying to get Dimebag's tone (or most 90's+ tones) with a Rockman would be a waste of energy and time.

Comment

Working...
                                X