X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
    Haha ok!
    And play with little blue and black boxes...going eeberfeneeber diooouurr diiiddiiel diiiddiel (optional sweep sounds)
    In spandex so that when singing, it only sounds like....27734849409404 octaves high

After 29739863426512432+0767+207965+072072587254+7659627 +22+67872872+2+586 notes later crammed into about a 5 seconds break...then the MIDI controller crashes.....
    And the chorus gives up the ghost.....

I liked the 80's....but the hair thing never really got to me....
    When I think about it, the alternative and more creative pop stuff was more to my likings.
    I do have an HSH Ibanez, while it needs a new neck, the dead spots on the middle of the neck just will not be banished....odd never had a guitar doing that to me before.

Maybe it needs a Rockman
    You know me well enough to know that I am only yanking your chain. I got the sound in early: I was 5-6 when alternative replaced metal as the mainstream in rock, but after having discovered GnR, Mr. Big, Twisted Sister (and AC/DC) that sound got into my head. It has never gotten out again, and I guess it never will. Ironically it took me very long to discover the rest of the bands from that era, even after I had started playing guitar. I arrived there by way of the 70s, probably because the stigma against this music was still so strong that it wasn't discussed much in the early 2000s.

So yes, I might bother with the Rockman tone in 2017. I, and five other people.

Strange with that neck. I wonder if a Rockman is indeed the solution :P

Comment

I should probably stay out of the more heated arguments here, but I have to say that I don't think the Rockman necessarily makes one sound like Scholtz. Pyromania? Afterburner? Inside the Electric Circus? Surfing with the Aliens? (Under Lock and Key?) There is kinship there, undoubtedly, but I think it is fair to say that it isn't the Scholz-in-a-box-and-nothing-else that is is often portrayed at. I will be the first to admit that it doesn't do raw tones, though. And that is fine. As is the obvious fact evinced by this thread: that it is primarily of interest for a small subgroup of guitarists.

Comment

Genius goes hand in hand with Ego.
        Hmmmmm. Now I wonder why that is?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had a Rockman Ace on my Amazon wishlist for a decade now
          I'm going for it
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I've got a Bass Rockman lying around somewhere... maybe I'll...

...Nah!
            Originally posted by The Commodores?
            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              Oh undoubtedly 1k is scooped. But there's still plenty of 500Hz honk to my ears to sound in the ballpark for Rockman. He sounds like he's using a Rockman, added more gain, then took the 1k freq and dropped it down to hell.
              Well, he was using solid-state Randall heads. IIRC his most famous tones were made with a Century 200 MkII and an RG-100.
              Nope...

Comment

He was probably channeling the Scholz.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                  He was probably channeling the Scholz.
                  The Scholz or the Schwartz?

Comment

Comment

You'd think with today's modelers, it would be a sound that would be modeled. In the 80s, the Rockman sound was huge, but I don't think it held up as well as the music created with it.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I know. Once a modeller includes the ADA MP-1 and Rockman sounds I will seriously consider getting it. But I suppose it is a low-priority, since the opinions about them are mixed and the people who still love them tend to be Luddites.
                        Last edited by Sirion; 07-06-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Ironically, the ADA MP-1 (which I also have) has a "Rockman" factory preset...

Comment

Indeed, I remember that (I have one as well – two, actually). The MP-1 might have gone over board trying to market itself on versatility, as it is a three-channel amp with an idiosyncratic active EQ. But I still love what it does well.

Get an MP-1, a Rockman, a Soldano and a JMP into the same unit, and I should be covered for life where gainy rock tones are concerned. But I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                              Ironically, the ADA MP-1 (which I also have) has a "Rockman" factory preset...
                              Thank God you don't gig. There is no way you would get all of that cutting edge gear in your '83 Toyota Corolla.

Comment

Didn't Metallica use the ADA MP-1 somewhere along the line? Was it ever a big part of the sound or was it just in the studio for a bit of layering with a bunch of other amps?

Comment

Working...
                                X