New Project - Warmoth Iceman Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project - Warmoth Iceman Bass

New project day! Really wanting to get back into Bass playing so I decided to build one. Roasted Swamp Ash Iceman with forearm contour, tummy cut and a contoured heel. Pickups are Bill Lawrence USA EB-50 and EB-60. Warmoth put the humbucker closer to the Precision pickups that I had thought they would...but should still be pretty cool.

Not sure yet on the paint (some shade of White) or the neck (definitely will be Roasted Quartersawn Maple, but not sure on the Fretboard.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1134.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	5844798

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	5844799

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	5844800
    Last edited by treyhaislip; 07-10-2017, 05:26 PM. Reason: Pics didn't load

Re: New Project - Warmoth Iceman Bass

looks cool! perhaps they had a reason for the pickup placement

Comment

We're going to get an Iceman on here? An actual completed one?
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
      Originally posted by Securb
      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Gorgeous grain... can't wait to see how it comes together! [emoji41][emoji1303]
        Originally posted by The Commodores?
        "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

That's too nice to paint a solid color, man, just clear it.

Comment

Thanks! Gotta take a bit for the neck, probably won't decide on the finish until I see what the neck will be.

Debating on just an oil finish for super thin White nitro (not a solid finish, very transparent) like on my Roasted Swamp Ash Tele:

Comment

A nice Mary Kaye finish will look great on that body irrespective of fretboard colour.
              Hell, maybe some gold hardware too. Won't be another like it, to be sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Will S-T View Post
                A nice Mary Kaye finish will look great on that body irrespective of fretboard colour.
                Hell, maybe some gold hardware too. Won't be another like it, to be sure!
                The Tele body above is Mary Kay White...the caramelized wood makes transparent colors different than non-roasted woods. Debating getting the same color on my Iceman so my guitar and bass will be the same color...not really "Mary Kay White" in the traditional sense BUT I dig it!

Gonna with Chrome Hardware...not a fan of gold personally.

Comment

I love the finish on that Tele, and I am not a Tele guy. I don't like overtly plastic finishes (Hot Florida sun makes me stick to them). Make sure you post pics of the progress.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I love the finish on that Tele, and I am not a Tele guy. I don't like overtly plastic finishes (Hot Florida sun makes me stick to them). Make sure you post pics of the progress.
                    Thanks! I really dig the finish too, more of a grey than white but I definitely dig it.

For the bass, I'm thinking more of a true white but with the same style finish. SouthBound Customs did the finish, they call it a Pro Sat Nitro and describe it as "a satin sheen, super thin nitrocellulose lacquer finish. There is no pore filling and minimal leveling. Players seeking a close-to-the-wood feel that’s more durable and offers a wider range of colors than oil will love this finish. It is also a good base finishing for aging."

They actually did some grain filler on mine, Ash really needs it for the extreme pores. Oh and they can do more colors than are listed on their website, Mary Kay White is not listed. I highly recommend these guys, great great work and great prices too!

Comment

Whatever color you decide on, that thing's gonna look super hot when you're done. (I'd vote for an orangy-red sunburst, like the original ones (before they were called "Iceman") cause I'm old)

Comment

Or a blue tinted burst.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I recently worked on a Tele build and used Tru-oil for the roasted maple neck. Darken the neck a little more, but the grain doesn't pop too much, so there isn't a lot of filling to use.

Comment

Originally posted by daan View Post
                            Whatever color you decide on, that thing's gonna look super hot when you're done. (I'd vote for an orangy-red sunburst, like the original ones (before they were called "Iceman") cause I'm old)
                            Thanks!

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            Or a blue tinted burst.

I've decided on going with a Transparent Ultra White: Transparent because I want the grain to be exposed and Ultra White because the Caramelized body will alter the color, so I want the whitest you can get to try to get the vintage Offwhite look with Cream pickups.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by Detroitblues View Post
                            I recently worked on a Tele build and used Tru-oil for the roasted maple neck. Darken the neck a little more, but the grain doesn't pop too much, so there isn't a lot of filling to use.
                            The grain filling is for the body, not the neck.

And I lightly oil the neck too–a little Tru-Oil goes a LONG ways!

Comment

Project update! Painted now, hopefully will get it back soon!

Name:	66821982-1CA5-4680-BDDC-F810288401F9.jpg
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	5802004

Comment

Working...
                              X