Rosewood vs Pau Ferro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosewood vs Pau Ferro

Hi. I have a 2005 Mexican Strat with a rosewood fretboard and with the new CITES law, I'm curious what the advantages and disadvantages of having rosewood are. I love my guitar. I don't want to trade it for anything. I'm just curious what others think generally. Does rosewood now make my guitar that much more special?

Re: Rosewood vs Pau Ferro

Originally posted by mexstrat View Post
    Hi. I have a 2005 Mexican Strat with a rosewood fretboard and with the new CITES law, I'm curious what the advantages and disadvantages of having rosewood are. I love my guitar. I don't want to trade it for anything. I'm just curious what others think generally. Does rosewood now make my guitar that much more special?
    It would be Indian Rosewood on your guitar...not Brazilian Rosewood.

Indian Rosewood is a great tone wood.

But in a fine guitar, Brazilian sounds even better.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
      It would be Indian Rosewood on your guitar...not Brazilian Rosewood.
      I know that, but now all rosewoods are being restricted.

Comment

Personally, I couldn't pick one or the other out in a blind test. There are tons of species of woods that are dark and add a warmer tone. Rosewood sticks around because of tradition, but I have no doubt that Pau Ferro or another wood would be equally as good as a fingerboard.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

From my very limited experience...Brazilian Rosewood tends to be prettier/better looking wood grain.

I've played some killer acoustics with both types...both sounded amazing. I would not be able to tell the difference between them with a blindfold.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
            From my very limited experience...Brazilian Rosewood tends to be prettier/better looking wood grain.

I've played some killer acoustics with both types...both sounded amazing. I would not be able to tell the difference between them with a blindfold.
            I think you could with a little more experience with Brazilian. I can. But I have had two wonderful Brazilian dreadnaughts. Still have one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              I think you could with a little more experience with Brazilian. I can. But I have had two wonderful Brazilian dreadnaughts. Still have one of them.
              Maybe but my Martin CEO-7 is my main acoustic and I won't be in the market for another acoustic for a loooong time...it has Mahogany sides and back.

Comment

If you took a whole guitar made from one vs the other, then you could expect to hear some differences almost no matter the pickups if you were playing a good amp.
                However the fretboard is only part of the whole......and the other construction elements all put their 'filter' on. In some cases you could get very different fretboards sounding identical as a whole guitar.
                In other cases the same wood blanks from the same tree can sound quite different.

Plus anywhere inbetween.

There are no 'advantages or disadvantages' for one wood vs another if you're talking just playing a guitar.
                If you are planning on overseas trips with it then there is the only caveat

Comment

Anderton's just put this video out a few days ago comparing Pau Ferro vs Rosewood Strats
                  sigpic
                  Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                    Anderton's just put this video out a few days ago comparing Pau Ferro vs Rosewood Strats
                    https://youtu.be/w9lX2g5l0zc
                    I think a really good player can usually tell the difference. The audience or the microphone...not.

But it's the player looking to be inspired by his or her guitar.

The audience just knows if they like it or not.

Comment

From a Woodworker's perspective:

Pau ferro is a little less dark, more orange and mocha whereas Indian RW is more chocolate.

Brazilian is a bit Wilder.

Tonally, Brazilian is most balanced,with Indian the warmest and Pau ferro brightest.

Wenge and ovangkol are great substitutions for brw.

Comment

^ +1 Pau Ferro is brighter than Indian Rosewood. It also feels similar to Ebony. Bends are really smooth. Looks great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I prefer ziricote, by the way. As well as cocobolo. My two new favs, with spotted ebony. great timbers : D

Comment

Cocobolo is one beautiful wood. I believe it is pretty exotic, too.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have rosewood on several of mine
                              and I just love the feel
                              I couldnt tell you if the tone is different
                              it feels warmer than maple necks
                              I like the look of a maple neck but the feel of the rosewood
                              just feels warmer and oily

may not sound different
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X