Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rosewood vs Pau Ferro

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Personally, I couldn't pick one or the other out in a blind test.
    Agreed.

Po-ta-to, poh-tah-toh. Choose your poison!

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
      Anderton's just put this video out a few days ago comparing Pau Ferro vs Rosewood Strats
      https://youtu.be/w9lX2g5l0zc
      Interesting. I could hear the difference immediately, it was obvious which was which. But then, some folks can't tell chocolate from rocky road.

Comment

"Pau Ferro" sounds more exotic, go with that one.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

With the 1000s of species of woods out there, guitarists haven't explored many of them.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I feel like with the example that the Pau Ferro is a bit more distinguishable. Color me crazy. I wouldn't throw either one out of bed.

Comment

And more importantly, you are SIMPLY more limited now. The jazz bass that is my mainstay is the "special edition MIM" that has rosewood from a few years ago. I'm not ditching it for the readily available "Pau Ferro" .... you dig?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                I think you could with a little more experience with Brazilian. I can. But I have had two wonderful Brazilian dreadnaughts. Still have one of them.
                It's either your imagination of you are bullcrapping us.

Normally people over 60 years old have lost much of their ability to detect certain frequencies. I have seen a test on this, in which kids under 10 or so were able to detect certain frequencies but the senior citizens didn't hear anything.

My second guess is you are Guitar Fanatic in disguise...

Comment

I can't agree "categorically" with that. But then again, I don't want to pretend to be definite............

Comment

I know this thread is talking about Pau Ferro and Rosewood in the fingerboard context but I just finished an article comparing Pau Ferro and Rosewood from a wood perspective. When you pick up a large board of unmachined Pau Ferro, it really feels like a rosewood, even though it's not. The US is going to see a lot more of this wood in the next decade.
                    Swamp Ash Wood Info

http://www.commercialforestproducts.com

Comment

My favorite feeling fretboard is Ebony -and its not even close -I know it's bright and hard but you can play so much faster and smoother...

not sure why its not more popular -maybe the cost?
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I like ebony, too. But I also like richlite and phenolic which is about as hard, dark, and sounds the same to me. I don't think a fingerboard wood matters much on a scalloped board, however.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like ebony, too. But I also like richlite and phenolic which is about as hard, dark, and sounds the same to me. I don't think a fingerboard wood matters much on a scalloped board, however.
                          I can totally see Phenolic being similar.

Ive never owned a truly scalloped guitar -only ones scalloped above like fret 15
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

from my experience as a luthier, phenolic sucks. It's extremely unstable and requires a lot of attention. Richlite is much, much, much more stable and thus friendlier in its behavior.

Comment

The problem with Ebony is that it’s very hard to buy it in bulk without going into black or gray market territory. There’s Chinese logging companies that go cut down beautiful & very old growth trees without any permits or any right. Then it gets loaded onto ships where where it’s sold in international waters (A lot like what North Korea does with oil & coal to subvert US sanctions.) where nobody really has any authority to do anything about it.

Personally I’ve played some Black Palm fingerboards that we’re absolutely beautiful! It sounded just like ebony, feels like ebony, looks like ebony, & most importantly its a very sustainable fast growing hardwood. I’ve got a feeling that we’ll start seeing Black Palm on fingerboards in coming years...
                              I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                                The problem with Ebony is that it’s very hard to buy it in bulk without going into black or gray market territory. There’s Chinese logging companies that go cut down beautiful & very old growth trees without any permits or any right. Then it gets loaded onto ships where where it’s sold in international waters (A lot like what North Korea does with oil & coal to subvert US sanctions.) where nobody really has any authority to do anything about it.

Personally I’ve played some Black Palm fingerboards that we’re absolutely beautiful! It sounded just like ebony, feels like ebony, looks like ebony, & most importantly its a very sustainable fast growing hardwood. I’ve got a feeling that we’ll start seeing Black Palm on fingerboards in coming years...
                                Thanks for that info. great post.

Comment

Working...
                                X