Saved! Jazz Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved! Jazz Special

I've been fixing up and saving a bunch of warriors lately for my friends (and myself).

These are all guitars that have lived dutiful lives but really need TLC in the worst way. My buddy has had this guitar since it was new in '88 there about, it's his #1 bass by a big margin. He still uses it all the time but lately in had a really bad buzz that made it unplayable. I was expecting the neck was shot, or the frets were just wore out but it just needed a real setup for the first time since I last did it about 12 years ago.

The neck has a hairline crack that has stayed stable for years now so I didn't mess with it. I can't remember if we addressed the crack years ago or not but since it has a sticker over most of it I decided to leave it as is. It's not bothering anyone so

I did a light fret file and polish, scraped and oiled the board, took the pickups out and replaced the disintegrated foam underneath them with new foam and springs. I took the bridge apart, cleaned the corrosion and dolled that up a bit. I cleaned up the saddles and re-blacked some of what was originally blacked out on it. Then I patched a bunch of holes in the bottom where the strap pins have been tore out, replaced etc, put a matching set of knobs on it, repaired one of the tunings pegs that was bent and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned lol. To get the best set up for the neck I kept a small paper shim it had and dialed in a little angle with the micro-tilt adjustment.

It's got a good setup now, plays great, it's intonated and is ready to go for another bunch of years hopefully. It'll be on the road with a band called Love N Revenge, go see 'em if you dig the Hair Band thingy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52393953139__CFD83B6A-7235-485F-A3A8-808122C9496E (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	5845041

Name:	RAVEN FRT.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	5845042

Name:	RAVEN Stock.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	5845043
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Re: Saved! Jazz Special

Sounds good. I have a soft spot for the JBS, having had mine since I bought it off the rack in 1984 in NYC when it was brand new.

I had it rebuilt in the early 2000s.

Name:	1984 Fender Jazz Bass Special_4206.jpg
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	5801188
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

I am not a fan of stickered instruments, but I love the fact that this bass was saved with some TLC.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
        Sounds good. I have a soft spot for the JBS, having had mine since I bought it off the rack in 1984 in NYC when it was brand new.

I had it rebuilt in the early 2000s.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82305[/ATTACH]

I had the same bass but with a black pickguard, it was fantastic. I sold it to a friend years ago when his band's gear truck burnt to the ground in a fire.

My buddy's bass had EMG's installed when it was new.
        My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
          I had the same bass but with a black pickguard
          Unless this was a custom-made pickguard, it is highly unlikely this was a Jazz Bass Special: The Jazz Bass Special was an MIJ bass and never had a pickguard as shipped.

It originally looked like this stock photo:

Name:	jazz bass special.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	5801192

The lack of a pickguard eventually annoyed me to no end. I contacted Tony Dudzik [http://www.pickguardian.com/] who agreed to make a one-of-a-kind guard. I traced it out on Kraft paper as best I could then transferred it to cardboard and sent it to Tony. He made the guard and a matching backplate. The body resembles a Precision, but the dimensions are different (a P bass guard will not fit).

Name:	1984 Fender Jazz Bass Special_4209.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	5801194

Name:	1984 Fender Jazz Bass Special_4218.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	5801193

I also scrapped the black hardware and swapped in Schallers and a Gotoh 201B.

More important than anything, I got rid of what I thought was the pretty useless TBX circuitry (the little 3-way switch in the stock photo above) and opted for a blend pot plus one volume and one tone (it originally had two volumes). I also installed SD Hot for P on the neck & Hot for J on the bridge. It was a completely different instrument after that.

I think the bass you describe was likely another flavor of Fender, like "American Special" or something. I remember seeing them in stores in the 90s or 00s.
          Last edited by dg27; 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

It's funny I remembered after posting it just had black hardware not a black pickguard

I don't have any pics of it that I can find
            My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

The JBS's all had black hardware, which I thought was cool at first...

If the one you had had black hardware and no guard then it makes sense that it was a JBS.

I think the whole look was very 80s. I changed the look to make it look more somewhat more traditional when I got tired of that.
              '69 Fender Mustang bass
              '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Can we stop posting pictures of JBS's ? I can't afford one right now
                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                  Can we stop posting pictures of JBS's ? I can't afford one right now
                  Aside from the neck and the body, mine is no longer a JBS, actually. Everything was replaced including all hardware, screws, pots, output jack, etc.
                  '69 Fender Mustang bass
                  '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Wow mate that some sick looking guitar!
                    singapore food forums
                    My Research About New Launch Condo

Comment

Working...
                    X