Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirming wiring diagram for PRS SE Custom 24

Hey guys,
    Can you please confirm my wiring diagram?

I'm upgrading my PRS SE Custom 24 with electronics (CTS pots, Orange Drop caps, and 3-way Oak Grigsby blade switch, Switchcraft output jack, and vintage pushback cloth wire). As you know, the CTS Push-pull DPDT pots lay out their solder terminals a little differently than the ones shown in the Seymour Duncan. I'm also not a huge fan of piling a bunch of wires onto the back of the pots. So, I created this wiring diagram. Is it correct? Thanks in advance for your confirmation. Much appreciated.

Robert

Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS SE Custom 24 Upgraded Wiring Diagram v1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	5845146

Re: Confirming wiring diagram for PRS SE Custom 24

Okay... after looking at my wiring diagram some more, I realized two things:
    1) I can't really solder anything to the top of the tone pot, because it's all plastic. Duh. Embarrassing.
    2) The legs of the tone cap can't easily reach around to the side of the tone pot for grounding.
    So, I updated the drawing.
    I noticed I don't have a grounding wire running from the tone pot casing to the other grounding wires. Is this needed? Or does the wire running from lug 2 of the tone pot, into the cap, and then into the mess of grounding wires cover it?
    Thanks,
    Robert

Name:	PRS SE Custom 24 Upgraded Wiring Diagram v1.3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	5801317

Comment

Looking at the amended diagram you seem to have the tone cap connected to both lugs 2 and 3. Was this intentional and what is the purpose /theory behind it? I have not seen this before .Otherwise, providing the cap is connected to ground the tone control should work. I do not think not having the tone pot itself grounded is detrimental but I would normally do so. I have had no experience with the CTS push pull but from what I have read the inference is that they can and should be grounded, so presumably it is possible.

Out of interest, did you have any problems with the stock electrics? The SE Custom's play well and seem to be pretty trouble free.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, GString.
        The tone cap will be connected only to the second lug of the tone pot. It’s just a quirk of the diagram. I’ll also run a wire from the tone pot casing into the mess of ground wires. Below is the updating diagram.
        No, I didn’t have any specific problems with the SE electronics. I just wanted to upgrade them to high quality USA parts.

Name:	PRS SE Custom 24 Upgraded Wiring Diagram v1.4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	5801324
        Last edited by Robert Corrington; 08-23-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Putting the circuit ground wires together is something I do quite a bit especially if I am wiring up a combined Out of Phase/Series Push Pull. It simplifies the wiring.. This mod actually works well on the SE 24 with the coil cut mod. . Because of the way PRS pups are wired you are a bit limited with mods as you can't do parallel or coil swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring
            Looking at the amended diagram you seem to have the tone cap connected to both lugs 2 and 3. Was this intentional and what is the purpose /theory behind it? I have not seen this before .Otherwise, providing the cap is connected to ground the tone control should work with
            essay writers for hire tools. I do not think not having the tone pot itself grounded is detrimental but I would normally do so. I have had no experience with the CTS push pull but from what I have read the inference is that they can and should be grounded, so presumably it is possible.

Out of interest, did you have any problems with the stock electrics? The SE Custom's play well and seem to be pretty trouble free.
            I've been searching for the guides and diagrams, and the last resource I've come across is the document by CDU Gemeindeverband Großefehn (some German site). However, I can neither open the doc nor read it, cause the website requires registration at once and my location is blocked by the German servers I guess.
            Last edited by GrantWilson; 05-27-2019, 01:15 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
            X