Beginner Bass Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beginner Bass Suggestions

Great thread. I'm getting into bass now too and looking for 5 String in the $300 to $600 range.

I'm thinking about either a Toby or an Ibanez. I might consider Squire or Fender too.

I also saw Dean and Washburn 5 string models on the local classified site.

I've decided to sit on it for a month, save some money and watch for sales. The local shop usually has a big sale in October so that might be the best time to look.

Comment

I picked up a Fender Deluxe Dimension Bass IV. So far very impressive, comfortable to play great tone, needs a minor truss rod adjustment, change in pickup height, new strings and some minor intonation adjustments but it sounds great already. I'll post some picks later, but thanks for all of the input!
      The Guitar Hunter
      https://guitarferret.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
        Thumbs up for Squier Jazz. My '87 MIJ is great; upgraded pickups and bridge.

+1. Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Basses are nice, especially for the price. Same goes for MIM Fender Jazzes, of which there's models with twin single coils, twin split coils, and twin full-size humbuckers.

If you want to upgrade PU's, you can find nice used ones online for a good price.

My other favorite bass is Firebirds (Gibson's best bass design, which borrowed heavily from Fender), Epiphone has both bolt-on & neck-thru.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

How about an Epiphone Viola. They are very light and sound nice. A used Peavey Foundation is also a really cool bass. I like my Thunderbird, but it's hard for a beginner to play. Ibanez makes quite a lot of beginner models.

Comment

Originally posted by BRHGM View Post
            How about an Epiphone Viola. They are very light and sound nice... I like my Thunderbird.

+1. I have an Epi Viola bass, and like it a lot. Short scale, easy transition for a guitarist, and the hollow body gives it a nice tone.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Man - you can walk into any Pawn Shop and get pick of the litter on basses anymore.

Yamaha, Ibanez, Squire all make great functional instruments that, as mentioned, are a truss and bridge adjustment from butter.

Jackson Concert - $200

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1625.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	5801910
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
              X