banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Tried a High Output Humbucker in the Neck in Parallel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Tried a High Output Humbucker in the Neck in Parallel?

Has anyone here tried this? It seems like it would be possible to get some nice tones out of it. Maybe a kind of P90 type voicing.

Re: Has Anyone Tried a High Output Humbucker in the Neck in Parallel?

I have an SH-6n in the neck of one of my Ibby's. It's in a Triple Shot and I usually run it in parallel. I think that it sounds very nice.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

What do you have in the bridge? Another Distortion?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        I have an SH-6n in the neck of one of my Ibby's. It's in a Triple Shot and I usually run it in parallel. I think that it sounds very nice.

Interested in hearing more- what music style and where's the difference from series?
        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I started this thread because I was interested in a SH-14 for both neck and bridge, but with the neck in parallel. Does anyone have experience with this model specifically?

Comment

I had a switching configuration in one of my guitars that allowed parallel operation of a dactivator neck pick up l. It was good with clean, and over all sounded pretty decent. But for my style I liked the higher output, more compressed series operation.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
              What do you have in the bridge? Another Distortion?
              Nope, an Alternative 8. Originally it was an SH-6, as I originally replaced the stock Infinities with a Mayhem set. But then I realized that I should have gotten a Trembucker for the bridge. So eventually I swapped out the SH-6 with a TB-15.

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
                Interested in hearing more- what music style and where's the difference from series?
                As far as music style, I range from wannabe jazz fusion to metal. Putting it in parallel brightens up the tone and thins out the bottom a bit. In addition, I swapped out the double thick ceramic with an A4 and swapped the Filister screws for hex heads. In some ways, it reminds me of a hot single coil with a very distinct attack. And no hum.

Comment

You might find the stag mag does a great job there.

Comment

P-rails bridge maybe? Hot in series mode and good parallel tone, plus P90 or skinny rail available on split. I love P90 neck tone.

I've always felt medium output at the neck has been enough for great lead sounds. I do have an overwound P90 on one axe for neck slide playing. But aside from that my hottest neck is a Screamin' Demon. Which BTW makes a damn good neck pickup, plenty strong enough to balance with a hot bridge.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      Putting it in parallel brightens up the tone and thins out the bottom a bit. In addition, I swapped out the double thick ceramic with an A4 and swapped the Filister screws for hex heads. In some ways, it reminds me of a hot single coil with a very distinct attack. And no hum.
                      Interesting concept, do you have any sound clips? I have a Crazy 8 that needs a neck match, and that sounds like it could pair rather well. The Crazy 8 can do anything but cleans, so that's the position I'm most interest in filling.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I've tried a JB in parallel in the neck before, but try as I might, any way I've tried the JB, it wasn't for me.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I've tried a JB in parallel in the neck before, but try as I might, any way I've tried the JB, it wasn't for me.
                          I prefer the JB as a neck pickup, and keep it in parallel, especially for cleans. For distorted solos, it has a bit of a sharp, Stratty edge. I pair it with a Custom in the bridge.
                          Originally posted by Brown Note
                          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                          My Blog

Comment

About a year ago I tried a Neck D-Activator in parallel with itself via a Seymour Duncan Triple Shot pickup mounting ring. I didn't like the result, but then again, I also didn't like any of the sounds that D-Activator set yielded in that particular guitar (basswood RG with Floyd). The only thing I have found that makes that guitar sound decent, is active pickups of some kind.
                            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                              I prefer the JB as a neck pickup, and keep it in parallel, especially for cleans. For distorted solos, it has a bit of a sharp, Stratty edge. I pair it with a Custom in the bridge.
                              I had a 24 fretter RG for a time that had a double hex A3 JB in the neck. It sounded almost like an overweight A2 JB. I did end up selling that guitar for a little over 1.5 times the money I spent on it, though.
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                              X