P-rail set with triple shot neck out of phase with push-pull pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-rail set with triple shot neck out of phase with push-pull pot

Sorry if someone already post about this.. I semi restored and had upgrade on a Cort Space G2 headless guitar.. Volume neck (push-pull for out of phase) Volume bridge and master tone for both p-rail.. it is like Jazz bass wiring no switch.. to control neck or bridge, turn volume up or down.. my guitar tech connected three separate wires to the triple shot board.. the guitar got it to work but if I use push-pull, the triple shot don't work in all switch positions..

I want to use the triple shot wires only black, white and bare wire.. (removed the three wires he placed) I sort of got the idea od seymour duncan diagram diagram but not sure what to do with the pots three legs.. and where does wire go if there is no switch? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Re: P-rail set with triple shot neck out of phase with push-pull pot

Out of phase wiring won't have anything to do with the three lugs of the pot, but rather with the 6 terminals of the switch beneath the push/pull pot.

If your question has to do with the fact that you have just one volume, you'll need to adjust the diagram so that the volume control comes between the toggle and the tone control.

The wires connected to the outside lugs of the volume pots need to connect directly to the toggle switch instead. Then the hot wire from the center of the toggle will connect to the outside lug of the volume pot and the center lug of the volume will go on to the tone pot's outside lug.
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
      Out of phase wiring won't have anything to do with the three lugs of the pot, but rather with the 6 terminals of the switch beneath the push/pull pot.

If your question has to do with the fact that you have just one volume, you'll need to adjust the diagram so that the volume control comes between the toggle and the tone control.

The wires connected to the outside lugs of the volume pots need to connect directly to the toggle switch instead. Then the hot wire from the center of the toggle will connect to the outside lug of the volume pot and the center lug of the volume will go on to the tone pot's outside lug.
      Thanks for reply... it's Volume Volume Tone.. no switch.. the neck humbucker volume pot is push-pull, the bridge and tone are regular Bourn b500k linear pots.. I just want the neck p-rail to be out of phase when I activate push pull pot.. the bridge stay same.. and retain the functionality of triple-shot switches: -> humbucker -> in series -> in parallel -> p-rail -> rail.

Comment

Oh, okay... I misunderstood. Sorry about that!

There's no reason why the out of phase would affect the way the Triple Shot works... I have P-Rails with Triple Shots and a phase reverse on my Ibanez Artcore AS-83 and it works perfectly.

I'm not sure what the three wires that your guitar tech were, but they shouldn't have been necessary. The diagram you have should work great.

As for the two volumes without a switch, just attach the two center lugs to the outside lug of the tone control, thus bypassing the switch on the diagram that isn't on your guitar.
        Originally posted by The Commodores?
        "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
          Oh, okay... I misunderstood. Sorry about that!

There's no reason why the out of phase would affect the way the Triple Shot works... I have P-Rails with Triple Shots and a phase reverse on my Ibanez Artcore AS-83 and it works perfectly.

I'm not sure what the three wires that your guitar tech were, but they shouldn't have been necessary. The diagram you have should work great.

As for the two volumes without a switch, just attach the two center lugs to the outside lug of the tone control, thus bypassing the switch on the diagram that isn't on your guitar.
          Thanks for reply, it's a bit confusing since I'm trying to combine jazz control diagram to the Seymour Duncan VVT diagram.. removing the switch part.. I guess I will try to give it a go when I can later.

Comment

I went to my luthier and he was cool to make the changes.. I'm a regular at his work.. he follow the Seymour Duncan Dual Humbucker triple shot with volume (neck) push-pull pot, volume (bridge), and master tone... the difference from the diagram is there is no tone knob.

It's working now.. I'm not sure but the master tone seem to boost or control the volumes signal.. either that or it's still wired wrong..

the tone knob acts like a control for volume and cannot be at zero.. the neck and bridge volume work fine but the tone seems to either boost the signal.. maybe I should just make it master volume master tone and three way switch.

Last edited by psp742; 09-23-2017, 09:00 PM. Reason: Picture of diagram

Comment

The tone pot should NOT do that if it's wired correctly. Check that your guitar is wired exactly like that diagram but with the wires that it shows going to the switch, go directly to the tone pot instead.

However, you may want it wired as "independent volumes". Reverse the wires on the vol pots...lead from the pup should go to the middle lug on the vol pot, and the wire to the tone pot should come from the outside lug of the vol pot.

And make sure that the capacitor is on the middle lug of the tone pot and that the third lug on the tone pot is NOT grounded nor connected to anything (If that lug is connected to ground it will act like a volume pot).
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
              X