How to Set Pickup Height on Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Set Pickup Height on Les Paul?

So I finally got my first "real" Les Paul at the store the other day, a 2015 Epi Joe Bonamassa. I was playing around with the 2016 model, but asked the guy working if they had any similar models, but without a Bigsby. He said they had the 2015 model which was in the back, which was the same except for the bridge and color. He also said it hadn't been setup yet.

I decided I'd buy it given that it had a pretty decent factory setup, except the neck pickup was a bit too close to the strings. I messed around with it yesterday day evening and today, but haven't been able to get it to sound nearly as good as it did at the store, even playing through the same amp and cab combo I used when I picked it out.

I like where the bridge pickup is set (3/32" on bass and 1/16" on treble) but I can't for the life of me figure out where to set the neck to get the middle positon to be roughly equal in volume and the neck position not a boomy mess. The pickups in question are Burstbuckers 2 and 3. I don't want to do any mag swaps or pole piece modifications just yet either. For people who have Burstbuckers (or 57 classics are close enough) how far are they set from the strings?

Re: How to Set Pickup Height on Les Paul?

Everyone's style and action is pretty different, and all we really have online are just guides. This will vary, of course, with types of pickups, magnets, if you use a pick, fingers, etc.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have the BB 1&2 in my Historic LPs.

On your neck pickup, I would set it as low as I could, and then raise the polepieces equal to or above the level of the covers. Your B-2nd will need to be the lowest, as that string is usually the loudest. This will typically give you the best clarity with any pickup.

I'd keep the bridge poles fairly even with the cover.

Guidelines are a good place to start, but it is always up to your taste.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
        I have the BB 1&2 in my Historic LPs.

On your neck pickup, I would set it as low as I could, and then raise the polepieces equal to or above the level of the covers. Your B-2nd will need to be the lowest, as that string is usually the loudest. This will typically give you the best clarity with any pickup.

I'd keep the bridge poles fairly even with the cover.

Guidelines are a good place to start, but it is always up to your taste.

Bill
        Thank you, do you have some measurements for the distance from the strings when the 21st fret is fretted? I tried the whole "bottoming it out" thing but that just made it weak in comparison to the bridge. Neck pickups are just so tricky to correctly set the height.

Comment

Gibson (Memphis) factory setting is fret the high and low E at 22nd fret, bridge 3/32" from underside of string to top of pickup both high and low E strings, neck 3/32" high E, 4/32" low E, regardless of guitar or pickup model.

You'll have to play with it from there if not satisfactory.

Comment

There IS NO set spacing of the pup from the strings. It's all up to your ears.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Les Pauls are prone to have darker (muddier if you want to call it that) neck pickups compared to the bridge. The Burstbucker 2 is not a particularly clear pickup to use in the neck. The BB1 would be better at that since it is lower output. I usually have the neck pickup slightly lower overall than the bridge pickup, and the bass side is usually 2/64ths or so lower than the treble side of it, to keep the boomy bass away. Mine usually end up at about 4 or 5 64ths on the treble side and 6 or 7 64ths on the bass side. Raising the pole pieces and lowering the pickup can add an airiness to the tone as well.

Comment

Although I have already swapped out my original pups in my LP with a Super Distortion (bridge) and a PAF 36th Anny (neck), the neck pickup is set pretty low. It's really only a smidge above the pickup ring. The bridge is quite a bit higher in comparison. But as others have stated, you'll really have to make some small adjustments and go by ear.

Comment

There IS an absolute rule about pup spacing from the strings that MUST be followed in every instance.....

Set the pups to the position where they sound best to you.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I have several combos of Burstbuckers, but not a 2 and 3. My neck position is always a little lower in volume than the bridge and I use it accordingly. I agree with raising poles as much as needed to get a good tone.

Comment

Working...
                    X