banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Improve Musical Improvisation and Making Music In General?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to Improve Musical Improvisation and Making Music In General?

I didn't realize anyone was hardcore about jazz in here, that's cool. What are some of your favorite tunes besides Giant Steps? You can play jazz and other music that you perceive to be advanced on the guitar too you know!
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Clint, from Ben-Hur's explanation the diminished 6th is just an altered dominant 7th chord (G7b9) resolving to I, which is pretty common when you improvise and want to add tension..but Barry Harris made it look complicated.

I haven't really explored this diminished 6th scale cause I still have too many to learn and incorporate...knowledge and theory are nothing if you can't incorporate it into your playing.

Comment

Just trying to dialogue with you and your faulty premise that guitar is an inferior instrument because you can only play blues and metal on it. I know the harmonized dim 6th scale alternates between inversions of I6 and V7b9, I brought it up. He incorporates it into the tune How Deep Is The Ocean a few minutes into the video.
        Last edited by Clint 55; 10-09-2017, 06:58 PM.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          Just trying to dialogue with you and your faulty premise that guitar is an inferior instrument because you can only play blues and metal on it. I know the harmonized dim 6th scale alternates between inversions of I6 and V7b9, I brought it up. He incorporates it into the tune How Deep Is The Ocean a few minutes into the video.
          While we are on the subject, how deep is the ocean?

Comment

I dunno, how high is the sky?

Why not find some weirdo on craig's list who can teach you at 9pm?
            Last edited by Clint 55; 10-09-2017, 08:32 PM.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
              First off, I understand that I just asked "the" musical question, the one all the greats had to find out to get as far as they did. But what I want to know is what must I do to open myself up musically, my current bag of musical tricks is somewhat limited, I always find myself falling back into the same few patterns. I have a few crap "styles" that I fall back onto when I don't know what to do (single strum to accent chord changes, palm muted quarter note chords followed by a non muted half note chord) and even when I do know what to do my styles are fairly limited, my two main styles are pseudo bell choir (like Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah) and punk riffs that don't have more than 4 notes or chords.

What can I do to expand this? I try to play songs and incorporate themes and techniques from the song into my own playing, but I can't seem to remember when it comes time to get the band together.

Do any of y'all have experience or resources that can help me?
              listen to other direct examples and then other forms of art. This works for my photography, graphic design, as well as music.
              Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
              http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Originally posted by Progbusters View Post
                listen to other direct examples and then other forms of art. This works for my photography, graphic design, as well as music.
                This is good advice. Great art transcends the medium in which it is expressed, and ground-breaking artists will change your perspective on things, regardless of the discipline.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Have you tried experimenting with different tunings? Even a basic drop tuning or open G can bust you out of a rut.
                   "Originally Posted by Aceman 

I shall allow this GAS bubble pass, a mere fart in time. 

Thank you for all the advice, cheers, and jeers. This was a tough one."

Comment

Lots of good advice in this thread so far. Here's some of mine:

Listen to as much music as you can get your hands on, however you can. Try to learn something from it. Try everything once, just to see what's out there. You can learn a lot from jazz horn players, for example - musical rests, phrasing, playing through changes, etc. Guitar/Rock/Blues based music is important but it's a very small slice of a very big pie.

Find REAL PEOPLE to play with. Forums and YouTube and all that is cool but it's no substitute for a live human in front of you, especially if that human knows what they're doing. Teachers and mentors can teach you huge amounts about the nature of the instrument and your relationship to it. Also - JAM with people. Real people. People that are equal to or slightly above your playing level. You'll learn a lot about how to create music as part of a larger group.

Go see live music, as much as you can to see how people do it in the real world. How to cope and adapt with unexpected situations on the fly, how to play a room and play to an audience.

Record yourself, preferably to a click track or a drum/beat track. This will do worlds for your playing. Listen to your strengths and weaknesses. Did you do something you thought was cool? Awesome! See if you can do it better next time. Did you not like what you heard? Then work on it until you get it right, or just don't do that again.

Study your influences. Read about them, listen to and read interviews. Get inside their heads. And then study THEIR influences. I started understanding Joe Satriani a lot more when I got deeper into Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Stanley Jordan, The Stones, and a lot of R&B/Soul, jazz, and bop music. Into SRV? Cool, you should also look at Hendrix, Howlin' Wolf, Albert King, Lonnie Mack, and Lenny Breau. Learn their licks and get into the sound, figure out how they can make that sound they make, or at least as close as you can get. Even if you don't learn licks per se, you'll discover something about yourself along the way.

Lastly, read these two books. These contain more truth and wisdom on playing music than any theory book I have ever read.

Shared via Kindle. Description: Unleash the song of your soul with Zen Guitar, a contemplative handbook that draws on ancient Eastern wisdom and applies it to music and performance.Each of us carries a song inside us, the song that...

Shared via Kindle. Description: From Grammy-winning musical icon and legendary bassist Victor L. Wooten comes an inspiring parable of music, life, and the difference between playing all the right notes…and feeling them.The Music Lesson...

Good luck!

Comment

Zen Guitar is a great book. It is a must-read for anyone who wants to carve out their own path. The sequel to that is A Book of Six Strings, also a must-read.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Zen Guitar is a great book. It is a must-read for anyone who wants to carve out their own path. The sequel to that is A Book of Six Strings, also a must-read.
                        Oh rad, I didn't even know he'd written another one.

Have you read Vic Wooten's book? What'd you think of it, if you did?

Comment

I hadn't read it yet, but it is on the list.

Comment

I hadn't read it yet, but it is on the list.
                            You gotta read it, man. It's very insightful and it's a good STORY as well. Really eye-opening and speaks to a lot of things I'd long suspected or at least was feeling on the nature of living life with music in general.

Comment

Just ordered it on Amazon. I will let you know what I think. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                              X