banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phat Cat Mag Swap for PRS SE Semi-Hollow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat Cat Mag Swap for PRS SE Semi-Hollow?

I bought a PRS SE and wanted to get a P90 tone out of it. I use to have a PRS Single Cut with Phat Cats, but the stock magnets were too dark.

What I want from the neck is strong mids with clarity and very little bass. So definitely closer to an overwound single coil than an underwood HB.

As for the bridge I was wondering if you guys thought it would be best to put another Phat Cat in the bridge or a moderate output HB, like a Jazz, 59b, or one of the Parallel Axis models, I'd be open to magnet swaps on this position too.

What do y'all think?

Re: Phat Cat Mag Swap for PRS SE Semi-Hollow?

I was the first forum member that I know of to swap magnets in Phat Cats. In the neck I started with A2/A3, then A2/A4, then A2/A5, each getting progressively brighter. I finally settled on A5/A4 as a good combination for clarity, fullness, and a sharp high end. Not as boomy as twin A5's.

In the bridge I tried a few combinations and found that an A8/A4 works nicely in various Phat Cats and P-90's. It boosts the volume (the stock A2's are overpowered by the neck Phat Cat), & adds mid and muscle. Balances much better with the neck, in both tone & output.

Be careful when you open up your Phat Cats, there's a ground wire on one side of the cover, and it can break if you try to lift off both sides of the cover. Just lift one side. Unlike almost every other P-90 pickup in the world, Phat Cat coils don't screw into the baseplate. The cover being soldered on holds the whole thing together. I'm not thrilled with that arrangement.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Thanks Blueman, this cements my thinking about the A5/A4 combo for the neck. It was recommended on plenty of other forums as well. Do you think I should go with a bridge P90 or an HB? I don't have experience with either in a 25" scale semi-hollow.

Comment

Either works well. The P90 is tighter while a HB is broader.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

A bridge P90 on a semi-hollow 25" scale guitar is definitely going to sound different than what you hear on records. Those were most likely done on a 24.75" scale solid body. I'd go with an HB, probably a Parallel Axis Distortion. What don't you like about your current set?
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            A bridge P90 on a semi-hollow 25" scale guitar is definitely going to sound different than what you hear on records. Those were most likely done on a 24.75" scale solid body. I'd go with an HB, probably a Parallel Axis Distortion. What don't you like about your current set?
            I understand. I just don't like the stock pickups in general. Bridge too trebly, neck too muddy. I think A4/A5 Phat Cat and P-Axis Distortion is a great idea, what do the rest of y'all think?

Comment

HB in the bridge and a P-90 neck is a great match.
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I didn't even know this sort of thing was done. I learned something today!
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What magnet resides in the P-Axis Distortion? If it's a double thick ceramic, as per the normal Distortion, I'm thinking I might want another magnet. I haven't tried a Distortion or the Parallel Axis version, but my experience with ceramics hasn't been the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I didn't even know this sort of thing was done. I learned something today!

What sort of thing?

Comment

Working...
                    X