NGD - Yamaha RGZ 211M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Yamaha RGZ 211M

Yesterday I got a Yamaha RGZ 211M in great condition. These were only made between 1989-1991, so it's getting close to 30 years old. Little to no fret wear and only minor scratches on it so it was never played much at all. After cleaning it, polishing the frets and a basic setup it plays amazing. Once I change the stock pickups and replace the volume pot it'll be awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	5845906

Name:	IMG_0798.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	5845907

Name:	IMG_0800.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	5845908

Re: NGD - Yamaha RGZ 211M

RGZ is the shred flavor of their line. As always, Yamaha delivers...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ooh...I love that! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on your guitar. Yamaha can make some pretty decent guitars overall. I own an '89 Yamaha RGX Custom that cost about just over $2K w/ case. It's a neck-thru with ebony fret board. It's similar to your guitar but with an arched top and H-S-H configuration. The guitar is in my signature.

;>)/
        sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

It was an absolute steal. I got it for $120 plus shipping and it came with a really nice brand new road runner gig bag which I wasn't expecting. Really well made and stays in tune great. The only thing I know wrong with it is that the volume pot shaft is bent a little, but I'm going to replace that when I replace the pickups plus put a treble bleed on the new volume.

Comment

Nice! Good looking shredder - Red, Floyd and Maple Board to boot...very "Jack Butler". Congratulations.
            Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 11-20-2017, 04:46 PM.
            MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
            1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
            1988 Kramer Nightswan
            1989 Charvel Sambora
            2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
            Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
            Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Wow, it's like a Ferrari. What does it sound like? Gonna mod it at all?
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Wow, it's like a Ferrari. What does it sound like? Gonna mod it at all?
                Oh yeah. I'm putting a chrome covered JB(A2) in the bridge and a DiMarzio Fast Track 1 in the neck.

Right now the bridge pickup is pretty good, but the neck single is a big drop in output.
                Last edited by T-Bone-BBQ; 11-19-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

So I have a choice of either putting a Cool Rails or a DiMarzio Fast Track 1 in the neck of this guitar with the JB(A2) at the bridge. Any thought on which might work best? I've never used either pickup before and I don't know how they match up output-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bone-BBQ View Post
                    So I have a choice of either putting a Cool Rails or a DiMarzio Fast Track 1 in the neck of this guitar with the JB(A2) at the bridge. Any thought on which might work best? I've never used either pickup before and I don't know how they match up output-wise.
                    Check out the reviews through Google and you might get a better idea. I heard good reviews on the Cool Rails and you can't go wrong with a DiMarzio pick up no matter what type it is.

;>)/
                    sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bone-BBQ View Post
                      I'm not familiar with the Fast Track 1, but I've had a Cool Rails in the neck of my Charvel Model 4 Mutt since 2005. IMO it sounds like a single coil sized Jazz, and balances well with a hotter humbucker when using a 500K volume pot. I've used it with a '59, Custom 5, Custom, and Invader.

Planning to swap to a CC in the near future as the C5 was a bit too bright and the Custom is a bit too fat. The Invader was just ridiculous.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I've seen demo videos of the Cool Rails teamed up with a regular JB and it sounds good, so I think it'll team up good with the JB(A2) I'm planning to put in this guitar.

The more I play this guitar the more I really, really like it. The only thing that needs fixed is that some of the fret ends are sticking out a bit. I tried using lemon oil to put some moisture back in, plus the fretboard needed cleaning anyways but it didn't do enough. I'll have to get my guitar tech to file them back. They don't stick out enough to cut my hand, but it's an annoying feel. It needs to be fixed. Other than that I'll be swapping out the pickups and it'll be great!

Comment

Before and after pics of my Yamaha RGZ 211M. I swapped out the stock pickups for a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a DiMarzio Fast Track 1 in the neck. I also put a treble bleed kit on the volume pot. So far it sounds great.

Name:	53BEFD9E-1238-4B55-A92D-1015A26E6518.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	5802260

Name:	4EEDE9F8-51C2-4984-BF6E-D015D0BA8242.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	5802261

Name:	76007F6B-7997-4A62-AD82-DD294537EC43.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	5802262

Comment

Used the 211M at band practice today and it played and sounded great. Stayed in tune fine, but then I’m not the type to go crazy on the trem.

Comment

Sweet! I believe that Yammy's are just starting to get the recognition that they deserve.

Comment

Working...
                              X