Limit Feedback on a fully hollow body guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit Feedback on a fully hollow body guitar

I have an Epiphone Century 1966 Archtop. It's fully hollow, no center block. I'm looking to limit it's feedback when playing with my fuzz pedal. I like this band Mars Red Sky. The guitarist plays a hollow body as well. I saw in a photo that he tapes the f holes some of the time to limit or control the feedback. I was wondering if this really helps or not. I used to use Doug's Plugs on a semi-hollow and it worked great but I don't want to pay $60 if I can just tape over the f holes when needed with one or more layers of clear tape. The finish on the guitar is poly so I'm not worried about the finish peeling off. Another option I read about was using foam under the pickup. I could see this helping but I'm worried it may affect the clean sound too much and remove some of that acoustic characteristic when playing clean. I've also read the inflating balloons inside the guitar helps. Finally, any experience with noise gates/suppressors?

In short, has anyone tried any of these methods and how did it work?

I think for me I'd like to go with something that retains the hollow body sound the most but still limits some of the feedback. I think the Doug's Plugs helped in the past but did take away some of the character of the guitar and looks a little funky. I think clear tape would be less noticeable on my red guitar than black foam slightly protruding.

Re: Limit Feedback on a fully hollow body guitar

Tape or plugs will alter the sound of the guitar. I'd just say, turn down or put the amp across the room or behind a baffle. But if that isn't an option, I'd spring for the correct plugs, as they are easily removed, and you won't get gunky tape all over the body.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Izzy Stradlin used to stuff the body of his ES-175 with pillow batting. I don't know how much of an effect it has on the sound, but it is effective in limiting feedback.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Foam under the pickups will have no effect (negative) on sound, but taping the holes or stuffing the body will.

Tape or pillow batting are common solutions. Both are easy to try and reversible if you don't care for the sound difference.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Ive heard inflating a balloon inside the body helps, too (assuming you get one big enough to fill it) I've seen premade foam plugs shaped like F holes http://www.dougsplugs.com/ but those may change the sound. Or, just do like Ted Nugent, and let the feedback fly!

Comment

In a world with distortion pedals and PA systems, unwanted feedback is obsolete at higher volume levels. At practice levels, there shouldn't be a problem if you keep the volume low and your back to the amp. The real trouble is medium levels of volume, like on a small stage where space is tight and you have to play for a whole room. But if you know you are going to be in that situation, why bring a hollowbody in the first place if the stage is too small to avoid feedback?
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Using the right amp is important. I used to have a fully hollow Gibson ES-150DCN and it was much more prone to feedback with my SUNN amp than any BF or SF Fender amp I tried. This guitar is in the shape of a 335, and I think it was about 3" at the rim.

A graphic or parametric EQ can help, or maybe even something like the Peavey Feedback Ferret would work. One would think that a compressor would help, but IME they can make it worse. Some of the Fishman preamps, like the AURA DI (designed for piezo-equipped acoustics) have feedback suppressing filters.

Batting never really worked for me. Never tried taping the f-holes. I even tried series wiring the pickups, to no avail.

One luthier suggested installing a sound post under the bridge, ala a violin. This couples the top with the back and apparently reduces sympathetic vibrations.

That guitar had other problems, and I traded it for a Music Man Sabre II circa 1978-79. Took a huge loss on the Gibson, but it was worth it. I wasn't using distortion/fuzz nearly at all back then either, but on stage it was a real handful. I loved that guitar, but sometimes you just have to admit you're trying to use the wrong guitar for the situation.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

With a poly finish, some gaff tape will do it. Hell, I used to just slap a length of 2" blue painters tape on my white Epi Sheraton's f-holes for gigs. Ugly, but worked.

That said, only $60 for pre-made f-hole plugs sounds like a bargain to me.

With lacquer, you'd be well advised to make or purchase proper f-hole plugs. The finish is much more sensitive, so it's best to play it safe.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

there was a Shakey Graves video
                  where he had taped a Heritage 175s f holes for the shoot

black gaffers tape on a black guitar

Gibson Memphis makes a version without f holes

if that makes a difference
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I talked to a Florida blues guitarist (JP Soars) who I've seen at a few blues festivals, playing at high volume; he plays a full hollowbody Epi Joe Pass. He said he turns the bass down on his amp and that keeps him from having feedback issues.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                      I talked to a Florida blues guitarist (JP Soars) who I've seen at a few blues festivals, playing at high volume; he plays a full hollowbody Epi Joe Pass. He said he turns the bass down on his amp and that keeps him from having feedback issues.
                      Yeah he does, we played with him at a few shows. His tone live (at least from the side of the stage) isn't a typical semi- of full hollow sound.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Yeah he does, we played with him at a few shows. His tone live (at least from the side of the stage) isn't a typical semi- of full hollow sound.

He has P-94's in his Joe Pass.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                        X