Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you consider a Walnut neck?

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
    According to THE WOOD DATABASE the dried weight of Hard Maple is 44lbs.cu.ft. while the dried weight of Black Walnut is 38 lbs./cu.ft.
    Definitely lighter than the reverse of the above neck, Maple is heavier IME

Click image for larger version

Name:	22323994_1266330313471517_1043741460_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	5802255
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaozGuitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
      I think nk he body pictured in the OP would look great with a roasted maple neck.
      That is an excellent suggestion!
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I'd go for walnut neck. I'm also the type of guy who'd go for an ostrich neck,imagine the bends you could get.

Comment

Imagine the scales a shredder could play on an fish neck.
          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I think the body pictured in the OP would look great with a roasted maple neck.
            Ordered Roasted Maple 2-Piece neck with Roasted Maple fretboard (unfinished), 3 + 3 tilt-back headstock (Sperzel preps), 6150 frets, 10 - 16 compound radius, 59 Roundback profile

Comment

No real benefit. The tone of quarter sawn maple with twice the weight

Walnut has a different texture, and a diffenret tone. Walnut does take awhile to mellow IMO, and I don't think they do roasted walnut ( but they should). I would g for a Walnut / Ebony or Walnut Ziricote neck...splendid!
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                Ordered Roasted Maple 2-Piece neck with Roasted Maple fretboard (unfinished), 3 + 3 tilt-back headstock (Sperzel preps), 6150 frets, 10 - 16 compound radius, 59 Roundback profile
                I hope you can take some pics when you get it, as well as some in-progress build pics.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I hope you can take some pics when you get it, as well as some in-progress build pics.
                  Will do. Everything is 4 - 6 weeks out. I went with the 3 + 3 headstock to shorten the length of the strings most commonly bent and decided on the tilt-back design hoping that eliminating string tees will remove one hindrance to returning to tune after trem use. Hopefully, I will like the Tusq nut. I normally have bone nuts installed.

Comment

I kinda like the TUSQ. I like them at least as much as bone. They are really great with any kind of trem.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Tusq is as close to bone without being bone. However, Tusq is more consistent as it is man-made.

I sometimes use unbleached bone for nostalgia, but there is really no need over Tusq.
                      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Working...
                      X