Ibanez SZ320

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez SZ320

Possibility of buying an Ibanez SZ320 that has the SZ pickups and looks to be in great shape. I've done a lot of poking around researching but not sure what these guitars went for or what they might be worth. I've heard and read really good things about them but I'm questioning the price of $300. Awesome looking guitar and I have that "I want that guitar" feeling but I feel it's a bit steep at above price mentioned. If anyone has any insight on these guitars it would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Re: Ibanez SZ320

It's definitely a bit steep for the USA market. Does it have any mods? Maybe it includes a case?

I've had mine for 8 years and it still kicks tons of ass. Quality wise it's close to a PRS SE, IMO. It's stable, manly, reliable and it sounds great.
    The stock hardware is OK too, not excellent but solid. The bridge is excellent though.

The 1st gen of the SZ series had pickups with no logo, those are Ibanez pups and they're actually OK.
    2nd gen had the Duncan/Ibanez pickups, and those sound really good IMO, based on the '59 and the Distortion.

I can't say good enough things about mine, except that you should be able to drop the price a bit.

If you already have nice guitars, it will be a super solid backup. And if not, it could well be your #1 for a good while, until you splurge on something a bit more premium.
    IMO easily the best cheap guitar Ibanez has released in many many years.
    Last edited by Diego; 11-22-2017, 06:46 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

No mods that I'm aware of and they're definitely the sz series pickups as I can't see the Seymour/Ibanez logo. Also, no case to come with it. Will have a chance to look at it later today or tomorrow and get a better idea. I'm no beginner but definitely not a pro by any means and I've only ever bought one guitar being a Mexican Fender 20 years ago so figured it was time to add something new. Hopefully I can knock it down a little, see what happens.

Thanks for the response man, much appreciated! Cheers.

Comment

$200-$250 is proper market value for an SZ320 or SZ520. The SZ720 can be more than $300 used. I've got three SZs. Love them all.
        Originally posted by Ball&Chain
        Orange beer just doesnt taste near as good as red. Im sure you will find that in the bible somewhere.

Comment

I guess that could be somewhat of a fair price seeing as I forgot to mention it's $300 CAD which is approx $230 USD give or take a few. Appreciate the info, thanks Spudman.

Comment

I only paid $200 for my SZ520 with an EMG 81/85 set already in it. But it sat on Craigslist for quite awhile and had been marked down before I bit (didn't really need it, but for that price.....). Then again, it stunk like rotten gym socks, so I'm sure that was part of the reason it was so cheap. But wiping it down every day with Simple Green for a couple weeks fixed that.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161103_083202518_zps0kexfv6p.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	5802272
            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

The guy that sold me his Telecaster has a Prestige SZ4020. I damn near shot him in the head and ran away with it when I saw it.
              It's way different than my 320. Super heavy, thicker and beefier.

I'll own a 4020 or a 2020 someday. If I ever get to buy an Ibanez SZ2020, consider me done. That's my ultimate guitar.
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

That's a nice blue.

Never heard back from the seller so I let it go. Now that I know the type of guitar it is much easier to search and have found a few others around on Craigslist that look even better so it's no big deal it fell through. I appreciate all the helpful responses, thanks guys.

Comment

Guitar Center used has several SZ520 some with obviously upgraded pickups
                  For $250- 350
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                  X