Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partscaster Bigsby?

Hey everyone,
    I'm looking to fit a Bigsby copy and a roller bridge like you would see on an Epiphone or something on my partscaster muck around guitar. It has a hard tail bridge and the strings go through the body but I'm not too fussed if theres gonna be holes left behind when I take it off (which there will be). I just wanted to make sure it would work though, with these considerations to take into account,

1.) is the space at the base of the guitar big enough to hold a Bigsby and a roller bridge?

2.) will the intonation be ok if I just put the roller bridge where the bridge on the guitar is now? I understand I'll have to drill new holes. And will I put it on an angle like Gibson guitar or straight?

3.) will the height of the roller bridge even being flat on the guitar be low enough or will I have to shim the neck to make the action lower?

Cheers in advance for any help )

Cheers,
    Kyle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Partscaster Bigsby?

Originally posted by Kyletrick13 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I'm looking to fit a Bigsby copy and a roller bridge like you would see on an Epiphone or something on my partscaster muck around guitar. It has a hard tail bridge and the strings go through the body but I'm not too fussed if theres gonna be holes left behind when I take it off (which there will be). I just wanted to make sure it would work though, with these considerations to take into account,

Cheers in advance for any help )

Cheers,
    Kyle.

1.) is the space at the base of the guitar big enough to hold a Bigsby and a roller bridge?
    There's probably enough room to mount a B5 as they're just under 5" from front to back and just under 4" wide.

2.) will the intonation be ok if I just put the roller bridge where the bridge on the guitar is now? I understand I'll have to drill new holes. And will I put it on an angle like Gibson guitar or straight?
    That should be ok.

3.) will the height of the roller bridge even being flat on the guitar be low enough or will I have to shim the neck to make the action lower?
    Probably not. A flat-top Gibson will have a neck angle around 3 degrees while a non-recessed Floyd will be half that or slightly less. The shims Stew Mac sells are 1 degree each and I doubt you'd be able to get 3 of them in there and still get the neck decently tight.

Honestly you'd probably be better off getting a cheap Tele or an Epiphone with a tune-o-matic bridge and putting a Bigsby and Vibramate on there.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      There's probably enough room to mount a B5 as they're just under 5" from front to back and just under 4" wide.

That should be ok.

Probably not. A flat-top Gibson will have a neck angle around 3 degrees while a non-recessed Floyd will be half that or slightly less. The shims Stew Mac sells are 1 degree each and I doubt you'd be able to get 3 of them in there and still get the neck decently tight.

Honestly you'd probably be better off getting a cheap Tele or an Epiphone with a tune-o-matic bridge and putting a Bigsby and Vibramate on there.
      Ah ok, that's annoying. I don't really like want a guitar with a Bigsby I just want to mod the hell out of the partscaster and I thought that would be an awesome idea. Any other ideas to try?

Comment

Three things:

1- You could use a Jazzmaster bridge.

2- You could try something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	807e0f79638bc5289a10d96709595614.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	5802281

Just set the Bigsby far enough back and then file slots above the holes intended for the saddles.

3- Nice 8 hole pickguard.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
        X