NTD. New Tele day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTD. New Tele day

Needed a spare tele for the event of string breakages at gigs because I need to set up my usual backup (strat) for slide (do we really need reasons for more axes?). This one is a 2012 American Standard.
    It sure is a weapon.
    Swamp ash and maple neck.
    Fender broadcaster bridge and twisted tele neck with the no load tone pot.
    Plays fast.
    Clear as a bell.
    I find i'm winding the tone control back a little if i want it to sound close to my fralin loaded 50s style tele, but it also gives me a water clear bell like strat neck tone which i really wasn't expecting. I've only played it through my tweed deluxe so far, but it is a superb combination.
    So much defintion, snap and twang. It could end up being my favourite. Definitely gives up that Redd Volkaert classic clear tele tone. Tons of sustain.
    Being a tinkerer, i have already ordered some solid brass saddles to replace the strat style ones, but apart from that I reckon it will stay stock. It is a lovely axe unmodified, but of course like all of us here the grass is always greener.
    Surprisingly excellent guitar. Nice and light and the tummy cut is a win. I dont mind about the modern differences such as that, no ashtray and the six saddle bridge. Let's face it, they are functional changes built for the player. It still sounds and plays like any really good tele from any era (this is my 4th tele).
    So far all i have done to it is put on fresh strings, set it up and done the old "crack" the neck into its pocket trick.
    I had the chance to play it right alongside one of the new pro series as well as a 2015. It must have come from a happy tree because this guitar sounds big - especially stoked about how meaty the high E sounds.
    This axe is not built for the vintage purists, poly coated and the other modern changes, but I already play one like that. Close your eyes and listen and all your ears say is: wow. Great tele!
    Happy camper.
    It sure is pretty too.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	24008249_10155866892857974_1377463613_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	5845957Click image for larger version

Name:	24008078_10155866891662974_1286627933_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	5845958
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-24-2017, 04:32 PM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: NTD. New Tele day

Nice! I'm a sucker for maple fretboards, and I'd love to get an Ash bodied Tele one of these days.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I like it. Good on ya' mate!

Comment

That's awesome! Man I want a Tele [emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Very tasty,Cam!
          Hey when are you guys back in Melbourne?

Cheers,PJ

Comment

Those specs sound AWESOME. My next build will probably be one similar to that.

Once you get the new saddles on there can we got some sound clips?

Congrats on the axe!

Comment

That is a gorgeous and purposeful guitar!
              I think the extra mass of the brass saddles will be a bonus.

But mate, when is your outfit getting back down here to Melbourne?
              I really want to get Crusty, Pontiac Jack and my lady to see you guys.
              I'll bring down my 52 for you to play a song or two

Comment

Originally posted by Pontiac Jack View Post
                Very tasty,Cam!
                Hey when are you guys back in Melbourne?

Cheers,PJ
                I was down yesterday playing at a hot rod show. Just got home this morning. Dang it. I'm sure back again soon tho.
                On the upside, i took this guitar on the plane rather than my regular axe and it was superb.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Will S-T View Post
                  That is a gorgeous and purposeful guitar!
                  I think the extra mass of the brass saddles will be a bonus.

But mate, when is your outfit getting back down here to Melbourne?
                  I really want to get Crusty, Pontiac Jack and my lady to see you guys.
                  I'll bring down my 52 for you to play a song or two
                  fark Will, im sorry. The last few weeks have been manic and i forgot to tell anyone we were coming down. It was a 6am flight down after a Sydney gig the night before and gone the next morning. I will remember next time.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-26-2017, 11:32 PM.
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Nice, and you know how I feel about Teles
                    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                      I was down yesterday playing at a hot rod show.
                      Bugger! Wasn't TopRodz BBQ,was it? I used to do that one every year with the 389's.
                      Ah well,let Willy know next time and we'll cruise down.

Cheers,PJ

Comment

ratts and tatts at chelsea heights
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Congrats, that's a nice axe.

Comment

That's one nice looking Tele for sure! I'm a proud owner of a 1952 AVRI Fender Telecaster that I bought back in 2006 during Fender's 60th anniversary. It's a player.

;>)/
                            sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                            X