Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Taper Pot for 50s Wiring?

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    I've found this to be false, treble bleeds can still pump highs thru with the volume on 10. I tried one on my bass once and it totally jacked up the tone, it was very obvious.
    Interesting, I've never had this problem with any of my treble bleeds. What electrical values were you using?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

It was a cap only, 330pf I think.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Hmm... Maybe a faulty pot or something. Then again, I've never just done a cap by itself.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

There was a thread recently where Clint was asking about the TB effect.....and how it seemed to affect the EQ on 10. Others had reported a similar issue and linked another thread or two about the same thing IIRC.

For mine TB is the worst of all worlds - an artificial bump of the highs beyond the normal relative mix of the pickup at any stage of the vol pot. And the different methods only serve to try and make the controls work the way they did before you added the mod in.
          50's is great for a much wider range of volume in all the 30 or more guitars I have it in - it retains highs in a more natural way than a TB ever will. Plus for those who use the vol for drive you can get that cool acoustic-like tone when you roll both Vol and Tone knobs back to 3 or so.
          I can't understand the need for constant vol and tone fiddling myself, as the way 50's comes up on my rig the tonal balance stays about the same......you don't need to constantly adjust to keep things balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            There was a thread recently where Clint was asking about the TB effect.....and how it seemed to affect the EQ on 10. Others had reported a similar issue and linked another thread or two about the same thing IIRC.

For mine TB is the worst of all worlds - an artificial bump of the highs beyond the normal relative mix of the pickup at any stage of the vol pot. And the different methods only serve to try and make the controls work the way they did before you added the mod in.
            50's is great for a much wider range of volume in all the 30 or more guitars I have it in - it retains highs in a more natural way than a TB ever will. Plus for those who use the vol for drive you can get that cool acoustic-like tone when you roll both Vol and Tone knobs back to 3 or so.
            I can't understand the need for constant vol and tone fiddling myself, as the way 50's comes up on my rig the tonal balance stays about the same......you don't need to constantly adjust to keep things balanced.
            +1

I put 50s wiring in both my Strat and Tele and never looked back. I haven't redone all of my guitars yet, but I do switch tone controls to 50s wiring any time I work on electronics for one.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I currently have 50's in my LP and modern in my SG and move the same pickups back and forth between them every few weeks and I don't have any problems getting tone I want or getting nearly the same tone out of each. 50's just gives me a little extra presence to work with while modern sounds slightly darkened on top which I can't do anything about - by way of comparison. But other than that, the taper and settings work very similar for me. I mainly work the controls from 5-10, occasionally might drop a neck tone down to 0-3 for 'woman tone' or something, but that's more rare. I don't find 50's significantly different to work with as far as settings. It's just generally more 'present' than modern. I feel I'm hearing more of what the pickup is putting out, and that gives me the room to work with different amps.

Comment

Working...
              X