banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD! Suhr modern Custom. Soooo sparkly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD! Suhr modern Custom. Soooo sparkly...

This NGD will be a lot shorter than my other posts on here, for one very simple reason: what you see is what you get.

This is a Suhr Modern Custom. It has virtually none of the specs I would have gone for if I had to spec one brand new, but it cost less than $2k, so what the heck.

SPECS!
    * Basswood body w/ Maple cap
    * The least inspiring Maple neck w/ Rosewood fingerboard I've ever seen. Seriously (more on that later)
    * Stainless steel frets
    * Suhr locking tuners (which are damn close to Schallers? My favorites, so all good)
    * A weirdly attractive SPARKLY finish (more on that later)
    * A ****ty Hipshot hardtail bridge (more on that later)
    * Suhr Aldrich set

Tl;dr and list are done, onto the Prose...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2897 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	5845985

This thing is AMAZING.

I was speechless when I first played it. I just didn't get it. Sure, I bought it: but I'd never played a Suhr before, I just wanted to give it a **** with a barebones instrument and see from there (plus this is a Custom, not a Pro, for lower than the price of a pro in the first place).

The build is flawless to the point of being boring. The timber is bland as hell. The bridge is the crappiest Hipshot one, not the new comfy one.
    And yet this thing SLAYS.

Name:	DSCF2899 (Large).jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	5845986

The finish is ugly as hell... or completely gorgeous. It depends on the mood, or angle, or astrological sign, who the hell knows. It's also applied PERFECTLY. It's full of flakes, perfectly applied. Just amazing quality right there.
    Also, sparkly. Very sparkly.

Name:	DSCF2901 (Large).jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	5845987

The neck wood is unbelievably boring. Given that this costs over $3k new, I'd consider this unforgivable. It's just cosmetic, but still... For the price I paid, so long as it proves stable in the long term, I'm ok with it.
    The fingerboard is equally no-fuss. It's there. It's a board. Frets and fingers go on it. Done deal.

Name:	DSCF2904 (Large).jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	5845988

Frets are ok. My favored size. There are definite toolmarks around the 12th frets which ruin bends at my most-played position. I did get it second hand, so I'm giving Suhr the benefit of the doubt here. If indeed those got out of the factory, it is disappointing. But it's second hand, so again, whatever. Since the frets are stainless, it'll be a pain getting rid of those grooves.

Pickups are the Aldrich set, with a 3-way toggle switch and a volume knob. C'est tout.
    I may add a coil-split later. Wiring is top-notch. Electronics cavity is shielded.

Acoustically she's loud and mostly balanced, tipping ever-so-slightly to the treble side of things maybe.
    Plugged-in, she's a fire-breathing monster of the highest quality. This thing sounds INSANELY GOOD. Powerful, but super clear. Punchy, but pleasant. I just couldn't believe it. Incredible.
    Strings are low, there is no buzz, and plays just perfectly well to my taste. Only thing I had to do when getting it is re-set the saddle radius. I didn't even bother changing strings.

Name:	DSCF2907 (Large).jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	5845989

Overall she never ceases to make me grin ear-to-ear when I play it. Insane guitar. Not perfect, but the only two things I don't like about it are either a) specs-related and hence not the fault of the guitar and b) possibly due to it being second-hand. Ok, MAYBE I'd prefer if Suhr used the latest Hipshots, those that glorified bent-metal plate. I find the latest one much more comfortable. But it's not like this one cuts into my palm or anything, so all good.

So voila. Like my Vader, another case of 'what the hell, I'll try it' which ends in a 'daaaaamn' reaction. Great, great guitar. Great tones. Great playability.
    Oh. One day she will look AMAZING under stagelights...

Re: NGD! Suhr modern Custom. Soooo sparkly...

Never played a bad Suhr.

Excellent purchase
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Personally, I think the finish is gorgeous!!! Never played a Suhr, but hear nothing but how amazing they are.. I guess bland or not, if it is that satisfying to play, thats the main thing.. Ive played some beautiful guitars that sounded like crap. (cough cough, my Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard for one.) So Congrats!!
      Last edited by BloodRose; 11-27-2017, 01:08 AM.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Just buy a new bridge?
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

When I read 'least inspiring' neck I thought I had found someone who agreed with me in Suhr necks! But alas, you were talking cosmetic only.

Guitar looks great and no doubt would sound great as well, nice grab.

Note: Before anyone starts going off on me on 'how can you not like Suhr ...' I DO like them, they are certainly well built guitars. I am just always underwhelmed by them and certainly wouldn't pay 3k for one.
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
            Guitar looks great and no doubt would sound great as well, nice grab.

Note: Before anyone starts going off on me on 'how can you not like Suhr ...' I DO like them, they are certainly well built guitars. I am just always underwhelmed by them and certainly wouldn't pay 3k for one.
            Especially for one with basswood body and house-brand pickups, and a pointless thru-body non tremolo fixed bridge. I can spend a half of that on a brand new Ibanez Prestige, all premium Gotoh parts and Dimarzios, and inspiring neck...lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
              Especially for one with basswood body and house-brand pickups, and a pointless thru-body non tremolo fixed bridge. I can spend a half of that on a brand new Ibanez Prestige, all premium Gotoh parts and Dimarzios, and inspiring neck...lol...
              Yeah but that's you though. Ibanezes are the least interesting guitar, at any tiers, I've ever played for myself. I've never once played one I enjoyed or found anything remotely worth liking about one.
              Not to mention the hardware quality and electronics on this Suhr are all top notch so I'm not sure what your point even is?

I also hate vibrato bridges so no issues there. Finally, 'despite' the Basswood and house-brand pickups, this is one of my absolute best sounding guitars. And we're comparing against Aristides, Waghorn, Vigier, Kiesel, KxK, MusicMan...

If the entire point of your post is to say 'I have different opinions so this guitar sucks for me lol', I'm not quite sure what it achieves beyond boosting your post count.
              Last edited by Pierre; 11-27-2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

It Surh is a very nice looking guitar.

;>)/
                sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                  Yeah but that's you though. Ibanezes are the least interesting guitar, at any tiers, I've ever played for myself. I've never once played one I enjoyed or found anything remotely worth liking about one.
                  Not to mention the hardware quality and electronics on this Suhr are all top notch so I'm not sure what your point even is?
                  At any tier? Including J Custom and 600 series and 3000 Prestiges? I don't believe you.

Originally posted by Pierre View Post

I also hate vibrato bridges so no issues there. Finally, 'despite' the Basswood and house-brand pickups, this is one of my absolute best sounding guitars. And we're comparing against Aristides, Waghorn, Vigier, Kiesel, KxK, MusicMan...
                  I don't see a point of maple top if the guitar is in solid color. God knows what's underneath that paint. And you do know that normally guitar makers use ugly looking wood for solid colored guitar, right? I am not trying to bash your guitar by the way, just pointing out facts.

Comment

Suhr (and Tom Anderson) believe that a basswood/maple combo makes for the best sounding guitar. I have lost count of the number of Prestige and J Custom (at least one USA Custom) guitars I have owned, and while some were just fantastic, they never felt quite the same as my Suhr customs.

Of course, I am down to one Suhr strat and have no J Customs anymore.
                    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

At any tier? Including J Custom and 600 series and 3000 Prestiges? I don't believe you.

I don't see a point of maple top if the guitar is in solid color. God knows what's underneath that paint. And you do know that normally guitar makers use ugly looking wood for solid colored guitar, right? I am not trying to bash your guitar by the way, just pointing out facts.
                      Yep. I just don't like Ibanezes in general. Why wouldn't you believe me? What's in it for you to change my mind or hope that I'm wrong?

As for the looks, I certainly hope so!
                      Wood supplies are dwindling and it'd be stupid to use on-demand, quality-looking tops for solid colors.
                      I also, again, completely fail to see your point. Why does it matter if the flame top is less good-looking if it's behind a solid color?

As mentioned before: the guitar sounds very, very good. It would sound different without the maple top. Better? Worse? I don't know. And it doesn't matter: she sounds good because of how she is right now, and that's all that matters.

Comment

My point is, there is no purpose of using maple top if the guitar is going to be painted in solid color anyway right?; cause maple top is there just for looks. That's why it is usually figured (flame/ quilted).

I personally don't believe that it contributes to the guitar sound.

Comment

Love it Pierre, doesn’t MM do a similar finish to that?

Regarding that wood combo, as has already been said, I have tried a fair old few great sounding guitars made from that combo and to be honest I had 2 awesome Peavey Wolfs that I should never had let go.

Anyway, congrats on yet another great purchase.

Comment

My point is, there is no purpose of using maple top if the guitar is going to be painted in solid color anyway right?; cause maple top is there just for looks. That's why it is usually figured (flame/ quilted).

I personally don't believe that it contributes to the guitar sound.
                            No, maple can be there for tonal purposes as well - even in 1/4" tops. Of course IIRC you cannot understand the physics of wood making a difference so maybe that bit is lost on you. It is certainly the case nonetheless.

Comment

So the MusicMan finishes (Barolo, Lava, Cherry, Starry Night etc...) have sparkles. This baby has FLAKES. Up-close the difference is striking. Flakes reflect light better, so I expect it would look super-cool under stagelights! ... Now to get my fat ass under those :P

And yeah, I'm convinced too. Truly a great sounding guitar. I've not had others with this combo so I can't quite comment, but on its own, she sounds fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X