80s Floyd Rose Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s Floyd Rose Question

I saw on Craiglist an ad for an original Floyd Rose that the seller clamis to have bought new in 1985. I am wondering if it is legit or not.

The photo shows "Made in Germany" stamped on the bottom, but Germany wasn't unified until 1990. If it were from the 80's, wouldn't it say "Made in WEST Germany"?

Also, the stamp makes it look as if it were cast. I thought the originals were machined?

The picture is below. Hopefully you guys can help confirm whether or not this is the real deal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00l0l_kPF1Au7wJDy_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	5845991
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Re: 80s Floyd Rose Question

This looks to be a real one. I am not enough of a historian to know much about the east-west German thing, but the stamp looks authentic, most of the parts of the floyd are machined, but the base plate is cast. What is the asking price?
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
    Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
    Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
    Jackson dx10d
    DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
    MXR Carbon Copy
    MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

I think it checks out. It's kinda like how we say "made in Korea". The "south" is implied.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by PierceOkken View Post
        This looks to be a real one. I am not enough of a historian to know much about the east-west German thing, but the stamp looks authentic, most of the parts of the floyd are machined, but the base plate is cast. What is the asking price?
        hes asking 95 for it
        “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Looks legit, and not really something that gets faked (the stamp)

The price is fair if there is an arm, no rust, no cracked string blocks and a nut/string bar. Otherwise, you can order a new kit in chrome direct from Floyd for $170.

By the time you add up all the bits you may need, you are close to new.

*edit* I just saw the add and that is a fair deal. A better deal would be $75...

I would take it for an old-school relic build for sure.
          Last edited by Ayrton; 11-27-2017, 04:54 PM.
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I don't know about Floyd Roses, but I've seen 1980s Schaller hardware stamped 'Made in W Germany'.
            Last edited by dystrust; 11-28-2017, 10:03 PM.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              I don't know about Floyd Roses, but I've seen 1980s Schaller hardware stamped 'Made in W Germany'.
              Schaller is who stamped the Floyds.
              -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                Schaller is who stamped the Floyds.
                Agreed. Considering the 'W. Germany" stamps on their other 1980s hardware, the Floyd in question is probably newer than 1985.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I can't say I remember them ever reading "W Germany". I have some older ones in the parts box, have to look tomorrow. I think my oldest is on my '82 Charvel, but who can say when any of them were actually made.
                  -Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X