Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed for guitar purchase

Hello all,
    So I've been craving a tele/strat for a while now, love the single coil sound. Not for live use, just to play around on at home through my AC15. I found a guy selling a MIM Nashville Tele for $375 about 2 hours from me. Year is unknown, slightly reliced. Pickups have been swapped; Texas Hots in the bridge and neck. Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in the middle. Do y'all think its a good deal? Any input would be appreciated!
    Attached Files

Re: Advice needed for guitar purchase

It's ugly, but I think if the only damage is the relic work, go for it. It's a good price and the pickups alone are worth at the very least $200.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

It sure looks like a real nice guitar. I like the colour of the body and the perloid pick guard. It seems like a good deal to me.

;>)/
      sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

4 hours of driving when there are multiple MIM Telecasters on ebay and reverb in the $400 range? With that finish?

Pass

Random selection, no affiliation.

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

But if there is one thing I know about mid range guitars with replacement pickups, about 60% of the time the person is getting rid of it because the pickups didn't work out with the guitar. I'd definitely do more investigation.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

That thing looks like a piece of $#!t. The red one Aryton linked to is a lot nicer, lower priced, amd has a case. Keep shopping dude. You can get better for less.
            “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

PS the G&L ASAT Tribute is black Friday special $349 at MF and GC. Better wood than Mexican Fenders, and lower price.

Get the guaranteed best price on Solid Body Electric Guitars like the G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Ash Body Electric Guitar at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on...
              “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

It really isn't my thing, but if that kind of relic work is yours, it may be worth it. FYI, that Hot Rails is goings to seriously overpower the other pickups, and in no way sound like a single coil.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Definitely pull the trigger on that one. It looks meh, but the pickups are great, if you are experienced in re-wiring I would put the hot rails on the bridge just because it is a really hot single coil. Other than that, I think 325 is an absolute steal for a MIM Tele.
                  "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                  Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                  Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                  Jackson dx10d
                  DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                  MXR Carbon Copy
                  MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

id hope thats a hot rails neck model which isnt as hot as the bridge model by a fair amount. also the strat hot rails isnt easy to mount in place of a tele bridge pup so the swap would be a pita. im assuming the seller means texas specials, not texas hots, and the magnets on the neck pup look awfully big for a fender pup.

id pass and find a better deal

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think it would be a fun project guitar if nothing else. I was planning on putting the hot rail in the bridge (or rather, having a much more experienced friend do it for me) because I figured it would be pretty hardcore in the middle position, and I can't really understand why someone put it there in the first place. I kind of liked the color at first but I'm second guessing myself now LOL. I was planning on attempting to re-finish it anyways, with a dark navy blue. If I can figure out how to do a burst I'll do that!

Comment

But I am looking around now and seeing if I can score a better deal.

Comment

For those commenting on the output of the rail pickup in the middle, I'm willing to bet that it's in parallel.

Comment

Well, hard to know without looking inside. Still, sort of an odd choice in the middle.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If your still looking and love Les Pauls
                              Then look over at Rondo guitars
                              They have a Gravity Tele
                              With 24.75 scale neck for about $150
                              They look nice, but at a price where you don't worry bout horking it up
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X