El Diablo Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Diablo Opinions?

I found an El Diablo -not the overwound Screaming Demon- for $.50 in the spare electronics box at my local Good Will and was wondering if anyone else has used one before. I couldn't pass it up given it was so cheap, but I don't usually use high output pickups. Guitar Center offered to take it off my hands no fuss for $100, so I was thinking I could either sell it to them or drop money on a new guitar to try it out.

If you have any experience with this p'up please let me know. There is very little info on the web about it. Just some general questions to get the subject going,

1- What genres is it good for? What tracks, other than Anthrax stuff, have I heard it on?

2- What is it's EQ, as in bass, low mids, high mids, treble?

3- What fancy metaphors would you use to describe the nuances in tone?

4- I play mostly classic rock, is it worth it to spend four hundred or so dollars on a guitar that will be worthy of a custom shop pickup?

Re: El Diablo Opinions?

Guitar Center buys used pickups?

Comment

This one does. I haven't seen of any other ones that will. They've had a shop floor custom green and purple jazz ever since I moved to the area 6 years ago.

Comment

My local Guitar Center bought used pickups for a while as well, but only if they had a minimum length of lead left on them. They stopped because no one was buying them.

As for El Diablo, I'd say you should try it out before making any decisions, regardless of the general forum opinion.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

This is a great thread explaining some of the mysteries of the El Diablo.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            This is a great thread explaining some of the mysteries of the El Diablo.
            Thanks for the thread, but that one is mostly about the older Diablo. I'm looking for info about the Iommi Diablo. What do you know about that one tonally?

Comment

its pretty balanced but in a thick kinda way, not as hot as youd think for 21k or whatever it is but still got plenty of horsepower. its a cool pup

Comment

Where does it measure in terms of output? It seems like it'd be very high output, having two magnets very close to the strings and all.

Comment

The one review is saw of this on Sweetwater said it was a similar tonally to a PGb on steroids. Does this sound about right.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    its pretty balanced but in a thick kinda way, not as hot as youd think for 21k or whatever it is but still got plenty of horsepower. its a cool pup
                    This.

Kinda like a clearer invader,really punchy big low end that tightens up nicely with a tubescreamer, it also sounds pretty cool out of phase with a 59N. $50 was a killer deal. I say pick up a used epi sg400 for $150-200 to put it in.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded madman View Post
                      This.

Kinda like a clearer invader,really punchy big low end that tightens up nicely with a tubescreamer, it also sounds pretty cool out of phase with a 59N. $50 was a killer deal. I say pick up a used epi sg400 for $150-200 to put it in.
                      Not fifty dollars, a half a dollar. I found it laying along with broken keyboards and assorted computer bits. I'm guessing someone donated it not knowing what it was.

Comment

i dont think it sounds much like a pgb. its a2 so the bottom isnt super tight but you can still get good sounding palm mutes

Comment

Thanks for all the info. What about the versatility? Would this make a solid classic rock pickup or is it more attuned for heavier genres? Think Van Halen and Guns 'N Roses as the maximum level of "heaviness".

Comment

By gosh you're right. I just went on GC-online and found a few used pups, including an ahb-1 blackout set in the case with all the wiring still sealed, for $99

Comment

Anyone else have anything to add?

Comment

Working...
                              X