Best HHH single coil sized humbucker set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best HHH single coil sized humbucker set

I was looking at getting a new guitar for harder styles of rock and came across the Dave Murray signature Strat. It got me thinking about doing HHH with single coil sized humbuckers and a Floyd Rose. What sets would y'all recommend. The Dave Murray has hot rail/JB/hot rail, but I think the hot rail and JB are not the best for those positions.

My first guess would be hot rail bridge, cool rail neck, and either lil 59, lil pearly, or lil demon for the middle. What do you all think?

Re: Best HHH single coil sized humbucker set

Originally posted by '59 View Post
    I was looking at getting a new guitar for harder styles of rock and came across the Dave Murray signature Strat. It got me thinking about doing HHH with single coil sized humbuckers and a Floyd Rose. What sets would y'all recommend. The Dave Murray has hot rail/JB/hot rail, but I think the hot rail and JB are not the best for those positions.

My first guess would be hot rail bridge, cool rail neck, and either lil 59, lil pearly, or lil demon for the middle. What do you all think?
    Love the hrail for crunch and cool rail in neck just sings. Personally, I like 2 and 4 quack for rhythm and dire straights, which requires a low output center pup.

So I like DiMarzio cruiser in center.

Also, I put switchable spinasplit on all my rail strats... Really easy mod and provides thin to thick at flip of switch if you're looking for flexibility.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I was intending on having a master volume and tone and then using the other hole in the pickguard for a series/parallel switch.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
        I was intending on having a master volume and tone and then using the other hole in the pickguard for a series/parallel switch.
        Yeah that will be nice. My Parker has spin and series but had to use a cocentric tone/spin.

Have another blade strat that only 'likes' 1spinasplit setting, so I switched to a trim pot in the cavity with push-pull to activate.

Comment

I like Lil Screamin Demon, Vintage Rails, Little '59. I think it can cover more things well, yet still be good for heavier music. When I think of Dave Murray, it is the neck pickup that is the most important to me.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Regarding the stacked pot, do you find yourself using the full range of the variable shunt, or do you typically adjust it to the same position? I've find myself doing the latter. One of several upsides is that I can use the fixed value as part of a switch, giving me one less thing to have to adjust when going from one tone to another.

Back on topic, I really like a side-by-side in the neck position. Can't figure out which I like better between the JB Jr. Neck and the Hot Rails Neck. I went with the Hot Rails Neck in order to improve the parallel mode tone, but it still isn't where I want it to be. The next step would be the Cool Rails Bridge, but I fear the series mode would be too dark. That aside, I definitely am not a fan of the Cool Rails Neck because, for me, it doesn't sing like the JB Jr. or Hot Rails.

I can make tons of recommendations, but it depends on what you hope to get out of each of the positions. If noiseless quack with single-sized neck and bridge humbuckers is important, I'd choose an Area 67 over a Cruiser or Vintage Rails in the middle spot. If quack isn't the priority and you just want great single coil-esque tone from a side-by-side humbucker, I'd go with the Cruiser.

Regardless of my preferences, both Duncan and DiMarzio make great products for that form factor and these products fill quite different needs without much overlap. For a consumer that's a big win in terms of the sheer number of options.
            Last edited by gregory; 12-25-2017, 12:56 AM.

Comment

I was planning on making a guitar that looked like this earlier this year:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-10-25-17-26-14-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	5804583
              I couldn't find the money for it, but a buddy of mine used the pickup combination I intended on using in it for his Strat. He used a Satch Track neck, a Chopper in the Middle and a Billy Corgan in the bridge. He was telling me he's looking at the Cool Rails/Lil 59/Hot Rails combo for a change of pace though.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Bridge: Super Distortion S
                Middle: Lil' Screamin' Demon Bridge
                Neck: Satch Track

Comment

This was the video that turned me on to the JB Jr. Neck:
                  (Watch In HD) Thanks to Seymour Duncan for giving me an opportunity to review these wonderful pickups. It really gives me the kind of sound that i need with ...

Comment

Having tried many, hands down the best I’ve played are David Allen blades.

Superb.

Comment

Originally posted by sedawkgrep View Post
                      Having tried many, hands down the best I’ve played are David Allen blades.

Superb.
                      Tell me more... I'm a Joe barden nut... High fidelity tele/ strat high-end with tight bass. What are Allen like?

Comment

Working...
                      X